PCI-SIG DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE - PCI-SIG, the organization responsible for the widely adopted PCI Express (PCIe) industry-standard input/output (I/O) technology, today announced new updates to meet the evolving demands of a variety of computing markets from high-performance storage to ultra-thin and light mobile devices. Increased performance and new form factors frame the organization's unique focus as it delivers new, innovative technologies built upon the 20-year legacy of the Peripheral Component Interface (PCI).
This year also marks 10 years of PCI Express specification development. As a leading standards organization, PCI-SIG is now turning its focus to driving I/O technology forward through advancements in PCIe-attached storage, new form factors and performance enhancements for the PCIe specification.
- PCIe 4.0 technology is being developed to deliver 16GT/s, doubling the bandwidth over the PCIe 3.0 specification with seamless backward compatibility to all previous versions of PCIe technology. The PCIe 4.0 architecture is designed to double the data rate, while maintaining its position as a low-cost, high performance I/O technology. With the increase in clock rate designers can implement narrower links, thereby saving cost through pin reduction.
- PCIe-attached storage can achieve significantly higher bandwidth using processor-integrated PCIe 3.0 technology that is directly attached to storage sub-systems. The PCIe 3.0 standard is optimized for high performance solid-state drives (SSDs) in enterprise and client applications, and is well-positioned to address growing demands for increased storage I/O speeds.
New Form Factors
- PCIe OCuLink, a small cable form factor supporting optical and copper optimized for internal and external enclosure usage, is being designed to offer bit rates starting at 8Gbps, with headroom to scale, and new independent cable clock integration. The internal and external connector supports up to four PCIe lanes, with all cables supporting 8GT/s. This provides up to 32Gbps in each direction within a four lane configuration; one lane and two lane configurations are also supported.
- Next generation form factor that will be part of the Mini CEM specification is being designed for the emerging ultra-light and thin platforms. A natural transition from the existing Mini CEM specification, this form factor is more flexible, smaller in both size and volume, offers better scalability and supports multiple technologies including Wi-Fi®, SSD and wireless wide area network (WWAN).
- The development of an electrical specification for the SFF-8639 connector which is intended for use in the growing PCIe-attached storage market.
"Each new technical innovation is a testament to the importance of PCI-SIG, providing our membership and the computing industry with future-focused technology, ensuring that increased performance is one of our top priorities," said Al Yanes, PCI-SIG president and chairman. "We plan to celebrate 20 years of innovation by continuing to seek new ways to deliver PCIe technology across a variety of computing platforms."
"The PCI-SIG has amassed a long-term record of technical innovation tempered by real-world requirements for backward compatibility," said Bob Wheeler, senior analyst at The Linley Group. "PCIe 4.0 is poised to continue this market-savvy approach while keeping the technology on the leading edge of economical interconnects."
Latest News Posts
- Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 takes 5 minutes to load on PS4
- Blizzard working on new mobile games
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White: dual-slot GTX 1080 Ti
- The Division receives loadout feature in PTR patch
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club