Cisco, the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, today reported its third quarter results for the period ended April 28, 2012. Cisco reported third quarter net sales of $11.6 billion, net income on a generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) basis of $2.2 billion, or $0.40 per share, and non-GAAP net income of $2.6 billion, or $0.48 per share.
"We delivered solid results this quarter with record revenue and non-GAAP earnings per share," said John Chambers, Cisco chairman and CEO. "We are successfully executing against our long-term strategic plan of growing profit faster than revenue, and in a cautious IT spending environment, we continue to outperform our competitors."
Chambers continued, "In a world of clouds, video and mobile device proliferations, the role of the intelligent network has never been greater and our value proposition with our customers is the strongest it has ever been. Our vision and strategy is focused on the right market transitions, and I want to thank our shareholders, employees, customers and partners for their ongoing commitment to Cisco."
Net sales for the first nine months of fiscal 2012 were $34.4 billion, compared with $32.0 billion for the first nine months of fiscal 2011. Net income for the first nine months of fiscal 2012, on a GAAP basis, was $6.1 billion, or $1.13 per share, compared with $5.3 billion, or $0.94 per share, for the first nine months of fiscal 2011. Non-GAAP net income for the first nine months of fiscal 2012 was $7.5 billion, or $1.38 per share, compared with $6.8 billion, or $1.22 per share, for the first nine months of fiscal 2011.
A reconciliation between net income on a GAAP basis and non-GAAP net income is provided in the table on page 5.
Cisco will discuss third quarter results and business outlook in a conference call and webcast at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time today. Call information and related charts are available here.
Other Financial Highlights
- Cash flows from operations were $3.0 billion for the third quarter of fiscal 2012, compared with $3.1 billion for the second quarter of fiscal 2012, and compared with $3.0 billion for the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Cash and cash equivalents and investments totaled $48.4 billion at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2012, compared with $46.7 billion at the end of the second quarter of fiscal 2012, and compared with $44.6 billion at the end of fiscal 2011.
- During the third quarter of fiscal 2012, Cisco repurchased 27 million shares of common stock under its stock repurchase program at an average price of $20.28 per share for an aggregate purchase price of $550 million. As of April 28, 2012, Cisco had repurchased and retired 3.6 billion shares of Cisco common stock at an average price of $20.47 per share for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $74.3 billion since the inception of the stock repurchase program. The remaining authorized amount for stock repurchases under this program is approximately $7.7 billion with no termination date. During the third quarter of fiscal 2012, Cisco also paid a cash dividend of $0.08, or $432 million.
- Days sales outstanding in accounts receivable (DSO) at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2012 were 31 days, compared with 31 days at the end of the second quarter of fiscal 2012, and compared with 37 days at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Inventory turns on a GAAP basis were 11.5 in the third quarter of fiscal 2012, compared with 11.1 in each of the second quarter of fiscal 2012 and the third quarter of fiscal 2011. Non-GAAP inventory turns were 11.1 in the third quarter of fiscal 2012, compared with 10.8 in the second quarter of fiscal 2012, and compared with 10.3 in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
Select Global Business Highlights
- Cisco announced its intent to acquire NDS Group Ltd., a provider of video software and content security solutions. The acquisition is expected to help Cisco's ability to transform how service providers and media companies deliver next-generation video experiences to subscribers.
- Cisco completed the acquisition of privately held Lightwire, Inc. Lightwire develops advanced optical interconnect technology for high-speed networking applications. The acquisition is expected to allow Cisco to deliver cost-effective, high-speed networks with the next generation of optical connectivity.
- Cisco acquired privately held ClearAccess, Inc. The acquisition enhances Cisco's network management capabilities and enables service providers to better deliver, manage and monetize their services.
- Cisco announced strategic investments in Brazil to foster innovation, transformation and socio-economic development.
- Cisco announced it has updated its cloud-ready switching portfolio to enhance network virtualization with simplicity and scale.
- Cisco announced a successful demonstration and validation of its coherent 100G dense wavelength division multiplexing solution, exceeding 3,000 km in reach without the need for regeneration. This distance is 50 percent farther than any non-Raman alternative solution on the market today.
- Cisco introduced the industry's first carrier-grade, end-to-end Wi-Fi infrastructure to deliver next-generation hotspots. The technology is designed to deliver seamless mobile experiences and enables operators to support a continuing expansion of mobile traffic, devices and new services.
- Cisco announced innovations across the Cisco Unified Computing System® (UCS) that quadruple memory capacity, double switching capacity and simplify management for large-scale Cisco UCS deployments.
- Cisco introduced new Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers with app-enabled capabilities for new home experiences. The three new routers offer wireless performance and support for Cisco Connect Cloud.
- Cisco announced it expanded its small business product portfolio with new wireless access points, routers, switches, unified communications and partner-managed service offerings.
- Cisco and NetApp announced FlexPod was the first data center infrastructure solution to be validated by Microsoft for the updated Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track 2.0 program.
Select Customer Announcements
- TELUS announced it has deployed key components of the Cisco Videoscape platform to extend its Optik TV services to mobile devices.
- Cisco announced it has been chosen by Fastway Transmissions Private Ltd. to facilitate cable digitization deployment across its customer base in India. Fastway is expected to deploy more than two million next-generation digital set-top boxes from Cisco during the next two years.
- Magyar Telekom rolled out 4G LTE services with Cisco mobile internet solutions. Magyar Telekom is Hungary's largest telecommunications company.
- IPLAN chose Cisco technology for its newest data center which is expected to be launched in June 2012. IPLAN is a leader in telecommunications and cloud computing services for small and medium-sized businesses in Argentina.
- Videotron launched its enhanced illico digital TV service with Cisco's HD set-top box platform. Videotron is a leading Canadian telecommunications operator providing communications and broadband entertainment services.
- Peru Credit Bank implemented the Cisco Unified Communications system to increase business flexibility and reduce costs.
- Kabel Deutschland (KD) selected Cisco CRS-3 routers for its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network core to meet demand for video and broadband services. KD is Germany's largest cable operator.
- Netelligent announced that it will collaborate with Desktone, Inc. to offer cloud-hosted virtual desktops. These cloud-based solutions will include Cisco UCS, the Desktone desktops-as-a-service (DaaS) platform and NetApp storage systems.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One games streamed to Windows 10 detailed in new screenshots
- AMD teases its Zen-powered, 32-core APU with HBM2 and more
- Hitchhiking robot damaged while traveling through Philadelphia
- BMW CEO says there is more room for electric cars in company's lineup
- 'Zoolander 2' teaser hits the catwalk
- Bruce Lewolt And Alessandra Brain Boost
- Help building new gaming PC
- Xeon x5460 overclocking settings
- Dual display on Asrock IMB 151N
- New build No Network - Realtek PCIe GBE controller not coming online
- Corsair Memory, PSUs, and CPU Coolers Pave the Way for Next Gen PC Processors
- Windows 10 Free Upgrade on GIGABYTE Laptops!
- Gamescom 2015 - Vertagear Racing Series at Caseking's Booth
- NVIDIA Recalls Select Shield Tablets over Fire Hazard
- Thermaltake Unveils the Core V51 Riing Edition Window Green PC Chassis