Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. (TAEC)*, a committed leader that collaborates with technology companies to create breakthrough designs, today announced that it has reached a milestone -- 2012 marks the 25th anniversary of Toshiba's invention of NAND flash memory.
Much has changed since 1987 -- the NAND flash market has grown rapidly, with flash memory shipping almost 8X more gigabytes (GB) in 2011 than DRAM. NAND flash has become the high density silicon storage of choice. NAND flash memory is used in a variety of memory cards and USB drives, and is found in many consumer, industrial and enterprise cloud applications. Toshiba's innovation has carved out a path to a new era in which consumers are able to carry videos, music, books and data with them wherever they go. Designed with a very small cell size to enable a low cost-per-bit of stored data,Toshiba's NAND flash technology is unleashing the mobility of content, thus fueling innovation in the development of products for everyone from consumers to enterprise.
"NAND flash has truly permeated our lives -- this technology has been a game changer, making the world a different place and making many of the products we use today possible," noted Scott Nelson, vice president, Memory Business Unit, TAEC. "The cost/performance of NAND flash continues to stand the test of time. NAND flash is leading the way to thin and light hardware, has made the mobility of content possible, and is enabling 'green' storage in the data centers."
Toshiba's commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the invention of NAND flash will continue throughout 2012. Included in the celebration will be notable industry events and consumer participation -- an interactive campaign that embraces industry voices and experiences exploring the impact of NAND flash is forthcoming. For more information on Toshiba memory products, please visit this page.
Latest News Posts
- 'Justice League' and 'Wonder Woman' teaser trailers revealed at SDCC
- 7-Eleven makes its first drone delivery, with a Slurpee
- James Cameron talks 'The Abyss' 4K Blu-ray remaster
- AMC reveals The Walking Dead season 7 trailer at SDCC
- No Man's Sky doesn't use patented Superformula, says dev
- Ghostbusters (2016) Cinema Movie Review
- Why do I have trouble starting my machine?
- G1.Sniper M3 Boot Loop
- GPU Ugrade killed my NIC
- Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio
- G.SKILL announces a major software update for the RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard