IPC and JEDEC have released the C revision of IPC/JEDEC J-STD-033, Handling, Packing, Shipping and Use of Moisture/Reflow and/or Process Sensitive Components. With an expanded scope, the document now covers the handling, packing and shipping of non-IC electronic components that have been classified per EIA/IPC/JEDEC J-STD-075, Classification of Non-IC Electronic Components for Assembly Processes. J-STD-033C effectively provides guidance for this category of electronic components that has not been covered by any standard in the past.
IPC/JEDEC J-STD-033C provides surface mount device (SMD) manufacturers and users with standardized methods for handling, packing, shipping and use of moisture/reflow sensitive SMDs. These methods help avoid damage from moisture absorption and exposure to solder reflow temperatures that can result in yield and reliability degradation. Use of the standard helps achieve safe and damage-free reflow with the dry-packing process and provides a minimum shelf life of 12 months from the seal date when using sealed dry bags.
In addition to its expanded scope, the C revision contains a correction made to the desiccant calculation and an allowance for less use of desiccant for MSL2 parts, if desired.
To help users understand the importance of moisture-barrier bags (MBBs) for maintaining the shelf life of packaged ICs and non-ICs, J-STD-033C includes diagrams of recommended, not recommended and acceptable MBB air evacuation.
Latest News Posts
- N64 Mini hinted by new Nintendo trademark
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme announced, ready for Ryzen
- Terminator 2 on 4K Blu-ray includes T-800 arm replicate
- Intel's new 12C/24T CPU: slower clocks than ThreadRipper
- ARCTIC's Liquid Freezer: ready for Ryzen ThreadRipper
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Transcend ESD220C 120GB Portable SSD Review
- Need help getting backup bios to work z77 d3h
- AMD hits Intel where it hurts with Ryzen ThreadRipper
- Lexar JumpDrive Tough 64GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive Review
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4
- MSI releases special motherboard BIOSes for Crypto-currency Mining
- Qualcomm files patent infringement complaints against Apple with International Trade Commission and Federal Court