Web of Trust (WOT), the world's leading community-powered safe surfing tool, continues its strong growth. It reached the milestone of 30 million downloads on Monday the 9th of January. WOT aims to multiply its user base in 2012, and confirm its position that crowd sourcing is an effective safety mechanism on the web.
"Web of Trust is a unique service combining information from trusted sources with a community of tens of millions of web users, who actively rate websites. The Internet is an ecosystem where everything evolves quickly, and only a community that's large enough can monitor it effectively. I believe companies will reach this same conclusion, and include WOT's crowdsourced solution in their IT portfolio", says Vesa Perälä, CEO of WOT.
The idea of WOT was born in 2006 by two university students from Tampere University of Technology, in Finland. It reached its first million downloads in August 2008, 10 million in March 2010, and 20 million in April 2011. The users are around the world, most of them in the US, Russia, and Germany. In 2011, Facebook and Russia's largest free email provider Mail.ru started using WOT to protect their users.
WOT helps web users to find safe websites by showing traffic light icons next to links. The traffic light icons show how trustworthy other users believe the site to be. Based on real user ratings, WOT protects from threats that automated technical solutions miss, such as bad customer experiences, phishing, and content that's unsuitable for children.
"WOT's growth is based on user recommendations - the word about an excellent product spreads fast on the web. Users understand the diversity of online threats and want to actively take part in making the web safer. We thank our community for helping us reach this milestone", Mr. Perälä concludes.
Latest News Posts
- Final Dark Souls 3 Ringed City DLC coming March 28
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' gets officially titled
- Nintendo Switch replaces Wii U on Nintendo homesite
- Mass Effect: Andromeda 10-hour demo coming to EA Access
- Samsung's Note line isn't dead: Note 8 is coming
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- Tekken 7 launches on June 2, 2017 in the Americas
- The end of the world awaits in Dark Souls III: The Ringed City
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM