Dell today unveiled its ultraportable XPS 13 laptop, the most compact 13.3-inch Ultrabook featuring an edge-to-edge glass, near "frameless" display, all-day battery life, and the latest innovative technology for a superb overall user experience. Starting at 1.36kgs.[ii], and less than six millimetres at its thinnest point, the XPS 13 combines performance-oriented thoughtful design with the latest Intel technology, such as Rapid Start and Smart Connecti, to enable users to be productive, connected and responsive anywhere.
The latest and most mobile laptop in Dell's portfolio, the XPS 13 is part of Dell's high-end XPS brand, which is now 20 percent of Dell's total consumer laptop business. Revenue for XPS laptops has increased 207 percent over last year when the company re-launched the brand to better meet the needs of today's mobile professionals.
The XPS 13 delivers second-generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, 128GB and 256GB solid state hard drive options[iii], Intel HD 3000 graphics and a bright high definition WLED 300-nit display for outstanding viewing experiences, packaged in an elegantly-designed, ultraportable laptop.
"The XPS 13 is the culmination of an extensive design and development process focused on creating the best Ultrabook on the planet," said Jeff Clarke, vice chairman, Global Operations and End User Computing. "It is specifically engineered to help both our consumer and commercial customers be more productive and connected in every way possible. From the edge-to-edge frameless display that packs more screen into a compact body, to the innovative carbon fibre base that is lightweight and cool to the touch, the XPS 13 exemplifies our commitment to offering industry-leading mobile solutions that deliver durability and performance without compromise."
Lead with Style and Never Miss a Moment
Purposefully designed and artfully built since it was first conceived in 2010, the XPS 13 maximizes the Ultrabook experience for users: edge-to-edge display with hardened Gorilla Glass; a full-size backlit keyboard with a large glass touchpad with integrated buttons and multi-gestural support; and up to eight hours battery life.[iv]. All in a package starting at 1.36kgs.
The 13.3-inch high definition display with slim bezel fits in a body size similar to the form factor of an 11-inch product, making it the most compact Ultrabook available. (Other 13.3-inch laptops offer the same viewing area but with up to a 15 percent larger footprint.) The carbon fibre composite base extends the design process, offering a premium visual appeal, and is lighter and cooler to the touch than aluminum.
Keeping connected and getting online quickly is now a reality. The XPS 13 is one of the first Ultrabooks to feature Intel Smart Connect technology, which wakes periodically to detect known networks and update calendar and emaili. With solid state drives and Intel Rapid Start technology, the XPS 13 boots in seconds, giving customers the performance of a laptop with the instant gratification experience of a smartphone.
"When Dell began the conversation of what an Ultrabook could be, we carefully considered how to provide customers not only incredible mobility, but also the kind of performance experience you would expect from something much larger," said Steve Felice, president and Chief Commercial Officer of Dell. "A 'good-enough' Ultrabook wasn't good enough for us. We were committed to developing what an Ultrabook can and should be with the XPS 13 and providing a superior user experience."
"The XPS 13 represents the most balanced of the Ultrabook class of notebooks to hit the market so far", said Rob Enderle, Analyst for the Enderle Group. "Ultrabooks started by forcing people to make a choice between beauty and practicality and Dell took the time to make sure their offering would not only be very attractive, but address the critical needs of business and education buyers as well. Perhaps the best way to describe the XPS 13 is 'beautifully uncompromised'."
Best of Both Worlds - Enterprise Friendly Features that the IT Department will Love
Dell went a step further with the XPS 13 to create appeal for all customers - for work and for play - and has made it easier for IT departments to choose laptops that offer the security and services they value in a fit and finish executives and employees demand. Enterprise-friendly features include standard Trusted Platform Module for BitLocker Data Encryption and optional ProSupport after-sales service and Configuration Services such as custom imaging and asset tagging.
Understanding its customers' need to purchase responsible products, Dell designed the XPS 13 with the environment in mind. Its energy-efficient LED displays have no mercury or arsenic and Dell eliminated harmful toxins such as Brominated Flame Retardants and Polyvinyl Chloride (BFR/PVCs). Every XPS 13 can be configured to be ENERGY STAR qualified, helping customers reduce energy costs. When the time comes, Dell offers multiple recycling options (learn more at Dell.com.au/recycling).
· Ultrathin laptop (0.24-0.71"/6-18mm) with Microsoft Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium; precision machined aluminum with a carbon fibre composite base
· Intel Core i5 2467M and i7 2637M processor choices
· 13.3" HD WLED, 300-nit (1366x768) 720p; edge-to-edge hardened Gorilla Glass
· Intel HD 3000 video graphics
· 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333Mhz memory
· 128 GB SSD or 256GB SSD drive options
· Full size, backlit chiclet keyboard; glass integrated button touchpad with multi-gesture support
· Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity
· High definition audio with Waves MaxxAudio 4
· Built-in 47WHr 6-cell battery (Dell XPS 13 batteries are built into the laptop and are not replaceable by the customer) offering up to eight hours of battery lifeiv; 45W AC adaptor
· USB 3.0 (1) + USB 2.0 with PowerShare (1), mini Display-Port, and headset jack
· Built-in 1.3MP webcam (H.264 enabled via Skype[viii]) with dual array digital microphones
· Dell ProSupport for business customers, Dell Configuration Services and Windows Trusted Platform Module options for commercial models
· Dimensions: Height: 0.24-0.71" (6-18mm) / Width: 12.4" (316mm) / Depth 8.1" (205mm); Weight: starting at 1.36kgs (2.99lbs)
The XPS 13 will be available in the United States at the end of February through http://www.Dell.com.au and in select retail stores nationwide. It will be available in Australia and New Zealand in March 2012.
Latest News Posts
- AMC reveals The Walking Dead season 7 trailer at SDCC
- No Man's Sky doesn't use patented Superformula, says dev
- Blair Witch sequel announced, hits theaters on September 16
- Project Sonic announced for PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo NX
- AMD to have a massive volume launch of next-gen Zen CPUs in early 2017
- Ghostbusters (2016) Cinema Movie Review
- Why do I have trouble starting my machine?
- G1.Sniper M3 Boot Loop
- GPU Ugrade killed my NIC
- Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio
- G.SKILL announces a major software update for the RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard