At AT&T's Developers' Summit at CES today, AT&T announced new programs that promoted its innovation program (AT&T Foundry) and continuing support for opening up its network.
The API platform (powered by Apigee) has been infused with some additional detail and six disparate areas that are: Payment, Uverse with Wireless, MMS/SMS, Location based services, device capabilities and mHealth Alpha. This has put more structure and support to AT&T's open network initiatives that were mentioned at last year's summit. Now there is more substance and application details to this program and platform.
In addition, there was also an announcement of AT&T joining the OpenStack initiative which is significant as AT&T is the first US carrier to join. It is further evidence of the strong support for open mobile application development and service enablement that AT&T has been promoting in enabling more cloud based services and innovation from external parties including its developers. And with the sponsorship of Microsoft's Windows phone platform, we expect to see more enterprise applications as by-products of the combined developers and AT&T internal product development.
The network is the oxygen' was one of the key mantras shared by John Donovan in his presentation. Although it is an interesting analogy for an application centric audience, one has to wonder how AT&T will monetize this 'oxygen' for many of the data hungry applications, devices and end users. And there was a mention of global capabilities but there wasn't any detail on services that were going to be available outside the US.
Latest News Posts
- Titanfall 2 may hit 6K on Xbox One X with 100% GPU usage
- Take-Two relents on singleplayer GTA mods
- 47% of gamers spend money while playing games
- MSI Afterburner now has hardware plot graphics
- Google Glass updated with additional features
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ecurrency hack software
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller