At AT&T's Developers' Summit at CES today, AT&T announced new programs that promoted its innovation program (AT&T Foundry) and continuing support for opening up its network.
The API platform (powered by Apigee) has been infused with some additional detail and six disparate areas that are: Payment, Uverse with Wireless, MMS/SMS, Location based services, device capabilities and mHealth Alpha. This has put more structure and support to AT&T's open network initiatives that were mentioned at last year's summit. Now there is more substance and application details to this program and platform.
In addition, there was also an announcement of AT&T joining the OpenStack initiative which is significant as AT&T is the first US carrier to join. It is further evidence of the strong support for open mobile application development and service enablement that AT&T has been promoting in enabling more cloud based services and innovation from external parties including its developers. And with the sponsorship of Microsoft's Windows phone platform, we expect to see more enterprise applications as by-products of the combined developers and AT&T internal product development.
The network is the oxygen' was one of the key mantras shared by John Donovan in his presentation. Although it is an interesting analogy for an application centric audience, one has to wonder how AT&T will monetize this 'oxygen' for many of the data hungry applications, devices and end users. And there was a mention of global capabilities but there wasn't any detail on services that were going to be available outside the US.
Latest News Posts
- Apple's worth jumps 43% to $170 billion, still world's top brand
- Facebook will zap free internet to Africa via satellite
- Spurned Pokemon fan raises $4000 to pay for copyright fine
- Jack Dorsey reprises role as Twitter's CEO
- New writers board 'Gran Turismo' feature film
- Buffalo TeraStation 5200 Windows Storage Server Review
- USB 3.0 (or even 3.1) header availability for Armorsuit PC-P60?
- Project Core XD
- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ No video first boot
- Hi I Really Need Advice as to Where I Can Find Genuine Asmedia Drivers?
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog