MBIM 1.0 specification expands consumer control of USB mobile devices
BEAVERTON, Ore. - November 17, 2011 - The USB-IF today announced its release of the Mobile Broadband Interface Model (MBIM) 1.0 Specification. Developed under the USB-IF by leading technology companies, MBIM 1.0 is a USB-based protocol for host and device connectivity for desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile devices. The specification supports multiple generations of GSM and CDMA-based 3G and 4G packet data services including the recent LTE technology.
MBIM 1.0 Specification Features:
- Supports multiple IP connections per a single USB interface
- Enables flexible, efficient and lower cost device implementations
- Supports power-friendly implementations in diverse operating systems
- Enables implementation of device-agnostic mobile broadband class drivers in diverse operating systems for desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile devices
- Replaces cumbersome control channel mechanisms, such as AT-commands
- Minimizes overhead and improves data transfer efficiency by sending raw IP frames, eliminating the need for Ethernet headers
"The USB-IF is excited to add the MBIM specification to its set of specifications," said Jeff Ravencraft, USB-IF President & COO. "USB technology benefits the mobile device consumer, and the MBIM specification expands the capabilities that USB delivers to mobile device platforms."
For more information regarding the USB-IF, please visit http://www.usb.org.
MBIM 1.0 is posted at http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs#approved under Communications Device Class.
About the USB-IF
The non-profit USB Implementers Forum, Inc. was formed to provide a support organization and forum for the advancement and adoption of USB technology. The USB-IF facilitates the development of high-quality compatible USB devices through its logo and compliance program, and promotes the benefits of USB and the quality of products that have passed compliance testing. Further information, including postings of the most recent product and technology announcements, is available by visiting the USB-IF website at http://www.usb.org.
Latest News Posts
- Shots fired: GameStop CEO says 'Wii U was disappointing to everybody'
- AMD releases new Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.1 beta drivers
- Battlefield 1's African American lead is a WW1 Harlem Hellfighter
- Dishonored 2: Everything you need to know
- Windows 7 update breaks PCs with ASUS motherboards
- 1MORE Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones Review
- Strange indeed P57W Laptop Shutdown
- Z77Pro4 no support for Haswell or skylake cpus?
- H97MPro4 - Machine mysteriously turns back on in Win7
- Windows 10 install - Raid 0 SSDs
- G.SKILL introduces 5 new color schemes to Trident Z Series DDR4 memory
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboards featuring Braswell refresh processors
- Turtle Beach reinvents eSports gaming headsets with the Elite Pro
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat