Newer Technology Voyager Drive Dock and Universal Drive Adapter Provide Plug-and-Play Reuse of Existing Drives for Additional Storage and/or Backup from $29.97
November 7, 2011, Woodstock, IL - The record flooding conditions in Thailand have significantly impacted Hard Disk Drive (HDD) manufacturing and supplies around the world. One drive manufacturer, Western Digital, is completely under water-resulting in approximately 32,400,000 fewer drives expected to be produced in the fourth quarter alone. Compounding this crisis is the fact that Nidec, the manufacturer of the motors used by nearly every hard drive manufacturer, is also having to completely shut down. Thus, a critical component is no longer available to other HDD manufacturers.
These events, as well as the already lean inventories, have contributed to a global shortage of hard drives--and even unavailability of certain models--that will likely last well into 2012.
Larry O'Connor, founder/CEO of Other World Computing (OWC®) http://www.macsales.com, said his firm has been taking aggressive steps to ensure OWC is able to offer the widest variety of drive capacities at competitive prices. He also suggested that a cost-effective solution to this shortage for computer users is something they already own.
"There are approximately eighty million perfectly functional hard drives sitting unused in outdated computers, broken computers, or tucked away in a drawer after being replaced by a bigger and/or faster drive," O'Connor noted. "It's like getting a hard drive for free ... you can reclaim Gigabytes of data storage/backup capacity by reusing that old drive as a new external solution via the NewerTech Voyager Drive Dock or USB Universal Drive Adapter."
OWC offers two plug-and-play solutions that can give consumers access up to 3TB for the capacity they need until this shortage is resolved:
- Newer Technology Voyager Drive Dock: Boot and swap 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives at will. Models with USB-only and FireWire interfaces offer the fastest connection to Macs and PCs. Priced starting from $34.99.-
- Newer Technology SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 Universal Drive Adapter: connects any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" IDE/ATA or SATA drive via USB 3.0/2.0 interface. $29.97
OWC also offers external enclosures should a consumer desire a more permanent and protective use of a drive. Many OWC enclosures are stackable and daisy-chainable to offer storage for multiple drives in the desk space of a single one. For more information on OWC enclosures, visit: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/
To help consumers prepare their old drive for new use, OWC offers free, step-by-step guides on formatting drives at:
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft continues to add Windows 10 Xbox app functionality
- Save 50% on the Ergonomic M535 Wireless Optical Mouse
- iOS 9 might finally give real multitasking abilities to the iPad
- NSA wants to give you malware through mobile app stores
- Smartwatch maker Pebble rumored to be in financial troubles
- ASUS GeForce GTX 980 ROG Matrix Platinum Video Card Review
- be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler Review
- I have an AsRock330, how upgradeable?
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III M.2 SSD Review
- Help with defective case
- Razer Introduces the Firefly Gaming Mousepad with Customizable Lighting FX
- MSI First Motherboard Brand to be Windows 10 Certified
- EK Releases New Supremacy EVO X99 LGA2011v3 Water Block
- Tech Source Releases Condor 4000 3U VPX Graphics Card for GPGPU Applications
- Anidees AI6 v2 Chassis Starts Selling