Newer Technology Voyager Drive Dock and Universal Drive Adapter Provide Plug-and-Play Reuse of Existing Drives for Additional Storage and/or Backup from $29.97
November 7, 2011, Woodstock, IL - The record flooding conditions in Thailand have significantly impacted Hard Disk Drive (HDD) manufacturing and supplies around the world. One drive manufacturer, Western Digital, is completely under water-resulting in approximately 32,400,000 fewer drives expected to be produced in the fourth quarter alone. Compounding this crisis is the fact that Nidec, the manufacturer of the motors used by nearly every hard drive manufacturer, is also having to completely shut down. Thus, a critical component is no longer available to other HDD manufacturers.
These events, as well as the already lean inventories, have contributed to a global shortage of hard drives--and even unavailability of certain models--that will likely last well into 2012.
Larry O'Connor, founder/CEO of Other World Computing (OWC®) http://www.macsales.com, said his firm has been taking aggressive steps to ensure OWC is able to offer the widest variety of drive capacities at competitive prices. He also suggested that a cost-effective solution to this shortage for computer users is something they already own.
"There are approximately eighty million perfectly functional hard drives sitting unused in outdated computers, broken computers, or tucked away in a drawer after being replaced by a bigger and/or faster drive," O'Connor noted. "It's like getting a hard drive for free ... you can reclaim Gigabytes of data storage/backup capacity by reusing that old drive as a new external solution via the NewerTech Voyager Drive Dock or USB Universal Drive Adapter."
OWC offers two plug-and-play solutions that can give consumers access up to 3TB for the capacity they need until this shortage is resolved:
- Newer Technology Voyager Drive Dock: Boot and swap 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives at will. Models with USB-only and FireWire interfaces offer the fastest connection to Macs and PCs. Priced starting from $34.99.-
- Newer Technology SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 Universal Drive Adapter: connects any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" IDE/ATA or SATA drive via USB 3.0/2.0 interface. $29.97
OWC also offers external enclosures should a consumer desire a more permanent and protective use of a drive. Many OWC enclosures are stackable and daisy-chainable to offer storage for multiple drives in the desk space of a single one. For more information on OWC enclosures, visit: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/
To help consumers prepare their old drive for new use, OWC offers free, step-by-step guides on formatting drives at:
Latest News Posts
- PS4 v3.0 firmware includes YouTube Gaming support, more cloud storage
- Your daily WTF: Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 is a real game
- Acer announces new Predator Gaming Series monitors with NVIDIA G-SYNC
- Acer shows off Chromebook R 11, a convertible Chromebook
- Vantage Robotics shows off Snap, a safe drone with a 4K camera
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015