AMD announced today that it has created drivers to enable support for the upcoming Windows 8 operating system on AMD-based tablets, netbooks, PCs and servers. Continuing a long history of collaboration, AMD is working closely with Microsoft to empower a new generation of innovative PCs and small form factor computing devices.
Currently available Windows 7-based PCs powered by AMD VISION technology deliver multi-core processing for amazing performance, discrete-level graphics for brilliant HD experiences, and AMD AllDay Power for entertainment on the go. Furthermore, AMD VISION Engine Software is uniquely tailored to unlock visual computing with AMD Radeon Cores and video accelerators that enable vivid HD, AMD Steady Video software and accelerated applications like blazing fast Internet browsing.
For business customers, the combination of AMD Opteron processors and Windows Server helps deliver a solid foundation for long-term value and leading-edge price performance, enabling cost-effective virtualization, versatile Web and application serving, and capacity-rich data management.
"The unparalleled combination of AMD APU technology and Windows 8 will enable incredibly immersive and brilliant computing experiences," said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Product Group. "With more than 320 design wins for our industry-leading APU technology to date, and a long history of innovation, AMD delivers the ideal platforms to bring Windows 8 to life on tablets, netbooks, notebooks and desktop PCs, leveraging the full performance of 64-bit x86 computing, the most pervasive and robust ecosystem."
"We are excited about the immense potential for outstanding experiences that will be enabled by Windows 8 running on AMD-based PCs and tablets," said Mike Angiulo, corporate vice president of Windows Planning, Hardware and PC Ecosystem at Microsoft Corp. "From enabling the latest 3D graphics for games to HD video creation and playback, AMD is accelerating the performance of applications by making it easier for developers to harness the full compute capabilities of a range of devices."
As the only supplier offering Accelerated Processing Units (APUs), CPUs and discrete GPUs, AMD offers a broad range of computing platforms, including notebook and desktop PCs, tablets, workstations and servers, that are ideally suited to support Windows 8 and offer compatibility with a pervasive x86 ecosystem. AMD technology offers a compelling platform for the forthcoming Windows 8, with native support for Microsoft DirectX 11, C++ AMP, OpenCL and Accelerated HTML5, as well as planned support of DirectX 11.1 features.
AMD PC and Server Platforms for Windows 8:
AMD Z-Series family of APUs for HD tablets
AMD C-Series and E-Series APU families for ultrathin and mainstream notebooks and netbooks
AMD A-Series family of APUs for high-performance notebooks and desktops
Forthcoming AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition for high-performance desktops
AMD FirePro professional graphics for desktops and workstations
AMD Radeon graphics for desktop and notebook PCs and embedded applications
AMD Radeon embedded graphics for mobile
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform offering the industry's only twelve-core x86 processor for servers
AMD Opteron 4000 Series platform including the world's lowest power-per-core server processor
Latest News Posts
- Fly a drone near the fire? County offering cash reward to find you
- Man using drone to perv has it shot down by Kentucky man with shotgun
- TechPowerUp pushes updated GPU-Z v0.8.5
- MSI pushes the pre-built GTX 760 toting Nightblade MI PC to market
- KINGPIN teams up with EVGA to smash 3DMark records with his GTX 980 Ti
- P67A-UD4-B3 Windows 10
- On Z97 Anniversary: No networking devices supported by Windows 10?
- Addonics AD2U31PX2 USB 3.1 2-Port PCIe 2X Add-On Card Review
- GA-Z87X-UD4H - System Crash During AppCenter Update. Am I Hosed?
- Amped Wireless TAP-EX2 AC750 Wireless Range Extender Review
- Innodata Reports Second Quarter 2015 Results
- MSI Launches Lean, Mean Gaming Machine, the Nightblade MI
- ADATA Launches the HD720 Rugged External Hard Drive
- Sharkoon Announces QuickPort XT Duo Clone and QuickPort XT HC Drive Docks
- Nexon and Electronic Arts to Bring PC Online Titanfal Experience to Asia