AMD announced today that it has created drivers to enable support for the upcoming Windows 8 operating system on AMD-based tablets, netbooks, PCs and servers. Continuing a long history of collaboration, AMD is working closely with Microsoft to empower a new generation of innovative PCs and small form factor computing devices.
Currently available Windows 7-based PCs powered by AMD VISION technology deliver multi-core processing for amazing performance, discrete-level graphics for brilliant HD experiences, and AMD AllDay Power for entertainment on the go. Furthermore, AMD VISION Engine Software is uniquely tailored to unlock visual computing with AMD Radeon Cores and video accelerators that enable vivid HD, AMD Steady Video software and accelerated applications like blazing fast Internet browsing.
For business customers, the combination of AMD Opteron processors and Windows Server helps deliver a solid foundation for long-term value and leading-edge price performance, enabling cost-effective virtualization, versatile Web and application serving, and capacity-rich data management.
"The unparalleled combination of AMD APU technology and Windows 8 will enable incredibly immersive and brilliant computing experiences," said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Product Group. "With more than 320 design wins for our industry-leading APU technology to date, and a long history of innovation, AMD delivers the ideal platforms to bring Windows 8 to life on tablets, netbooks, notebooks and desktop PCs, leveraging the full performance of 64-bit x86 computing, the most pervasive and robust ecosystem."
"We are excited about the immense potential for outstanding experiences that will be enabled by Windows 8 running on AMD-based PCs and tablets," said Mike Angiulo, corporate vice president of Windows Planning, Hardware and PC Ecosystem at Microsoft Corp. "From enabling the latest 3D graphics for games to HD video creation and playback, AMD is accelerating the performance of applications by making it easier for developers to harness the full compute capabilities of a range of devices."
As the only supplier offering Accelerated Processing Units (APUs), CPUs and discrete GPUs, AMD offers a broad range of computing platforms, including notebook and desktop PCs, tablets, workstations and servers, that are ideally suited to support Windows 8 and offer compatibility with a pervasive x86 ecosystem. AMD technology offers a compelling platform for the forthcoming Windows 8, with native support for Microsoft DirectX 11, C++ AMP, OpenCL and Accelerated HTML5, as well as planned support of DirectX 11.1 features.
AMD PC and Server Platforms for Windows 8:
AMD Z-Series family of APUs for HD tablets
AMD C-Series and E-Series APU families for ultrathin and mainstream notebooks and netbooks
AMD A-Series family of APUs for high-performance notebooks and desktops
Forthcoming AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition for high-performance desktops
AMD FirePro professional graphics for desktops and workstations
AMD Radeon graphics for desktop and notebook PCs and embedded applications
AMD Radeon embedded graphics for mobile
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform offering the industry's only twelve-core x86 processor for servers
AMD Opteron 4000 Series platform including the world's lowest power-per-core server processor
Latest News Posts
- Sony's new add-on merges trading cards with mobile games
- Sony making Wild Arms, Arc the Lad smartphone games
- The Last Guardian critics opinion wrap up and analysis
- Nolan confirms HBO's 'Westworld' won't return until 2018
- Oculus Touch officially available as of today
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Western Digital introduces new 12TB and 14TB enterprise-class HDDs and SSDs
- Western Digital Corporation renews patent cross-license agreement with Samsung
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing