AMD announced today that it has created drivers to enable support for the upcoming Windows 8 operating system on AMD-based tablets, netbooks, PCs and servers. Continuing a long history of collaboration, AMD is working closely with Microsoft to empower a new generation of innovative PCs and small form factor computing devices.
Currently available Windows 7-based PCs powered by AMD VISION technology deliver multi-core processing for amazing performance, discrete-level graphics for brilliant HD experiences, and AMD AllDay Power for entertainment on the go. Furthermore, AMD VISION Engine Software is uniquely tailored to unlock visual computing with AMD Radeon Cores and video accelerators that enable vivid HD, AMD Steady Video software and accelerated applications like blazing fast Internet browsing.
For business customers, the combination of AMD Opteron processors and Windows Server helps deliver a solid foundation for long-term value and leading-edge price performance, enabling cost-effective virtualization, versatile Web and application serving, and capacity-rich data management.
"The unparalleled combination of AMD APU technology and Windows 8 will enable incredibly immersive and brilliant computing experiences," said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Product Group. "With more than 320 design wins for our industry-leading APU technology to date, and a long history of innovation, AMD delivers the ideal platforms to bring Windows 8 to life on tablets, netbooks, notebooks and desktop PCs, leveraging the full performance of 64-bit x86 computing, the most pervasive and robust ecosystem."
"We are excited about the immense potential for outstanding experiences that will be enabled by Windows 8 running on AMD-based PCs and tablets," said Mike Angiulo, corporate vice president of Windows Planning, Hardware and PC Ecosystem at Microsoft Corp. "From enabling the latest 3D graphics for games to HD video creation and playback, AMD is accelerating the performance of applications by making it easier for developers to harness the full compute capabilities of a range of devices."
As the only supplier offering Accelerated Processing Units (APUs), CPUs and discrete GPUs, AMD offers a broad range of computing platforms, including notebook and desktop PCs, tablets, workstations and servers, that are ideally suited to support Windows 8 and offer compatibility with a pervasive x86 ecosystem. AMD technology offers a compelling platform for the forthcoming Windows 8, with native support for Microsoft DirectX 11, C++ AMP, OpenCL and Accelerated HTML5, as well as planned support of DirectX 11.1 features.
AMD PC and Server Platforms for Windows 8:
AMD Z-Series family of APUs for HD tablets
AMD C-Series and E-Series APU families for ultrathin and mainstream notebooks and netbooks
AMD A-Series family of APUs for high-performance notebooks and desktops
Forthcoming AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition for high-performance desktops
AMD FirePro professional graphics for desktops and workstations
AMD Radeon graphics for desktop and notebook PCs and embedded applications
AMD Radeon embedded graphics for mobile
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform offering the industry's only twelve-core x86 processor for servers
AMD Opteron 4000 Series platform including the world's lowest power-per-core server processor
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- Intel MOBO with Fast POST boot time
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform