Agreement provides broad coverage of Microsoft's patent portfolio.
REDMOND, Wash. - June 30, 2011 - Microsoft Corp. and Onkyo Corporation have signed a patent agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft's patent portfolio for certain Onkyo tablets running the Android Platform. Although the contents of the agreement have not been disclosed, the parties indicate that Microsoft will receive royalties from Onkyo under the agreement.
"We are pleased that Onkyo has taken advantage of our patent licensing program for Android devices and has signed this agreement," said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel of Intellectual Property and Licensing at Microsoft. "This agreement and similar agreements recently announced evidence the momentum and success of our licensing program."
Microsoft's Commitment to Licensing Intellectual Property
The patent agreement is another example of the important role intellectual property (IP) plays in ensuring a healthy and vibrant IT ecosystem. Since Microsoft launched its IP licensing program in December 2003, the company has entered into more than 700 licensing agreements and continues to develop programs that make it possible for customers, partners and competitors to access its IP portfolio. The program was developed to open access to Microsoft's significant R&D investments and its growing, broad patent and IP portfolio.
More information about Microsoft's licensing programs is available at http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
Latest News Posts
- 'Point Break' remake gets first trailer
- IDC: Smartphone market still expanding, but growth is slowing
- Smart glass wearables could help transform the workplace
- Ford CEO Mark Fields wants autonomous cars for the masses
- Game writer discusses sexuality, political correctness in gaming
- DVD drive seen in Windows 8.1 but not in BIOS
- ID-Cooling SE 214X CPU Cooler Review
- Upgrade M8
- Team Group Vulcan DDR4-3000 16GB Quad-Channel Memory Kit Review
- YUMI USB Stick doesnt´t boot correctly on H81M-HDS
- Sharkoon Announces External USB 3.1 Hard Drive Case
- Razer Introduces the Firefly Gaming Mousepad with Customizable Lighting FX
- MSI First Motherboard Brand to be Windows 10 Certified
- EK Releases New Supremacy EVO X99 LGA2011v3 Water Block
- Tech Source Releases Condor 4000 3U VPX Graphics Card for GPGPU Applications