AMD OpenCL Coding Competition to reward software developers creating accelerated applications that make the most of AMD technologies
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -6/15/2011
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the AMD OpenCL Coding Competition, being run by software development leader TopCoder. This contest is intended to encourage the creation of applications that take advantage of OpenCL as well as the award-winning AMD Fusion accelerated processing unit (APU) architecture. The OpenCL Coding Competition is open to software developers with great ideas, and up to $50,000 in prizes will be awarded to winning submissions.
"We're at an inflection point in the computing industry with evolving chip architectures and the shift to common programming interfaces and industry standards, which enable developers to enable amazing new experiences," said Manju Hegde, corporate vice president, AMD Fusion Experience Program. "The OpenCL Coding Competition is just the beginning of a new wave of application development by the software community as they embrace heterogeneous computing across multiple platforms."
AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) technology (formerly ATI Stream) is a set of advanced hardware and software technologies that support OpenCL and enable highly parallel compute-capable GPUs to work in concert with a system's CPU to accelerate applications beyond traditional x86 graphics and video processing. AMD Fusion APUs combine multi-core x86 technology with a discrete-level DirectX® 11-capable GPU in a single processor design, connected by a high speed link, to deliver up to 500 gigaflops of compute performance.1
Developers and students who choose to participate will be asked to submit an abstract that outlines how they plan to use the latest generation AMD APP software development kit (SDK) with OpenCL support to create an accelerated application for the AMD Fusion APU platforms.
Contestants can choose to create an application in any category including, but not limited to, the following:
- Video Processing
- Image Processing
- Human Computer Interface
- Data Mining
- Physics processing
- Social Networking / Communication
"We see APU architecture continuing to be widely adopted for new computing designs, and believe that developers will want to build and optimize their applications around the high performance achieved with these new hardware platforms," said Matt Murphy, TopCoder platform manager. "This technology shift signifies a sizeable opportunity for developers around the world who want to be early to embrace a new era of heterogeneous computing."
In addition to the SDK, contestants will need the latest AMD Catalyst drivers that include the OpenCL runtime compiler. Released in May 2011, the latest AMD Catalyst drivers for Windows and Linux also bring new features, including expanded support for multi-display environments through AMD Eyefinity technology, which developers can leverage to create even more immersive experiences for end users.
For full details and a complete set of Official Rules for the AMD OpenCL Coding Competition, please visit http://community.topcoder.com/amdapp/
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Fusion Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Rick Rubin's latest project is a Star Wars-themed electronic album
- Samsung's 4K Blu-ray player launches early
- Search engines are about to be creepy good at predicting what you want
- All the juicy Hitman beta details revealed for the 19th
- Uninstalling Facebook on iPhone will save you 15% battery life
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance