Combination Doubles NVIDIA's Revenue Opportunity in Mobile Devices
SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 06/13/2011 -- NVIDIA announced today that it has completed its $367 million cash acquisition of Icera, a leading innovator of top-performing wireless modems for 3G and 4G cellular phones and tablets. Icera is now a wholly owned subsidiary of NVIDIA operating under the Icera trade name.
With the addition of Icera, NVIDIA now offers the two main processors used in smartphones -- the applications processor, in the form of the NVIDIA®Tegra® super chip, and the baseband processor, based on Icera technology. The combined offerings will help OEM customers improve their time to market and deliver the requirements of next-generation mobile computing, while approximately doubling NVIDIA's revenue opportunity within each mobile device.
For more background on the acquisition, see this recent blog entry from Phil Carmack, senior vice president of NVIDIA's mobile business unit.
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) awakened the world to the power of computer graphics when it invented the GPU in 1999. Since then, it has consistently set new standards in visual computing with breathtaking, interactive graphics available on devices ranging from mobile phones and tablets to notebooks and workstations. NVIDIA's expertise in programmable GPUs has led to breakthroughs in parallel processing which make supercomputing inexpensive and widely accessible. The Company holds more than 1,900 issued patents worldwide, including ones covering designs and insights that are essential to modern computing. For more information, see http://www.nvidia.com.
Latest News Posts
- Hey MSI, where's your GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning?
- EVGA unveils GTX 1080 Ti SC, SC2, and FTW3 variants
- Overwatch map editor, highlight savings are coming soon
- GTX 1080 Ti hits 3GHz on LN2, all on reference PCB
- Mass Effect: Andromeda has a $100 microtransaction
- Gamdias Hermes P1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- H170-PLUS D3 and i7 7700K, both new computer says nothing.
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Can't find thumbscrews in PC-O9
- Lost Audio on Asus GL753 VE-DS74 Laptop
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse
- ASUS announces USB-AC53 Nano Wi-Fi adapter