Combination Doubles NVIDIA's Revenue Opportunity in Mobile Devices
SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 06/13/2011 -- NVIDIA announced today that it has completed its $367 million cash acquisition of Icera, a leading innovator of top-performing wireless modems for 3G and 4G cellular phones and tablets. Icera is now a wholly owned subsidiary of NVIDIA operating under the Icera trade name.
With the addition of Icera, NVIDIA now offers the two main processors used in smartphones -- the applications processor, in the form of the NVIDIA®Tegra® super chip, and the baseband processor, based on Icera technology. The combined offerings will help OEM customers improve their time to market and deliver the requirements of next-generation mobile computing, while approximately doubling NVIDIA's revenue opportunity within each mobile device.
For more background on the acquisition, see this recent blog entry from Phil Carmack, senior vice president of NVIDIA's mobile business unit.
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) awakened the world to the power of computer graphics when it invented the GPU in 1999. Since then, it has consistently set new standards in visual computing with breathtaking, interactive graphics available on devices ranging from mobile phones and tablets to notebooks and workstations. NVIDIA's expertise in programmable GPUs has led to breakthroughs in parallel processing which make supercomputing inexpensive and widely accessible. The Company holds more than 1,900 issued patents worldwide, including ones covering designs and insights that are essential to modern computing. For more information, see http://www.nvidia.com.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives