Elpida Memory, Inc., Japan's leading global supplier of Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM), today announced it had developed a 2-gigabit DDR3 SDRAM using an industry-leading 25nm process for memory manufacturing. Using the most advanced process technology available Elpida has achieved the industry's smallest chip size for a 2-gigabit SDRAM.
The newly developed 25nm DRAM process technology requires 30% less cell area per bit compared with Elpida's 30nm process. The chip output for a 2-gigabit DDR3 SDRAM wafer using the new process is about 30% higher versus 30nm.
The new SDRAM is an eco-friendly as it contributes to lower energy consumption by PCs and digital consumer electronics. It outperforms Elpida's 30nm process products by saving on electric current (15% less operating current and 20% less current when on standby).
At the time the 25nm process was developed the structural changes required to shift from a 30nm process were minimized to hold down the capital expenditure needed for ramping up 25nm volume manufacturing.
By the end of 2011 Elpida also plans to begin volume production of 4-gigabit DDR3 SDRAM products using the 25nm process. Compared with the 30nm process a 44% increase in chip output per wafer is expected for this 4-gigabit DDR3 product. In addition, the new 25nm process will be used to support further development of Mobile RAMTM, Elpida's mainstay memory product.
The 25nm process 2-gigabit DDR3 SDRAM can support ultra-fast performance above DDR3-1866 (1866Mbps) and is compliant with low-voltage 1.35V high-speed DDR3L-1600 (1600Mbps).
Both sample shipments of the new 25nm 2-gigabit DDR3 SDRAM and volume production are expected to begin in July 2011.
Elpida continues to be a technology leader in the DRAM industry. It uses innovative design and process technology for the production of high-speed, low-power consumption and low-cost DRAMs.
Latest News Posts
- XCOM 2 delayed to 2016 on all platforms
- ARCHOS unveils its Diamond Tab 4G/LTE tablet
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- Game Own Kingdom - chiến thuật hành động cho S7568
- I am the new one
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20