AMD Amends Wafer Supply Agreement with GLOBALFOUNDRIES
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced that it amended its Wafer Supply Agreement (WSA) with GLOBALFOUNDRIES Inc. The primary purpose of the amendment was to revise the pricing methodology applicable to wafers delivered in 2011 for AMD's microprocessor and accelerated processing unit (APU) products. The amendment also modified AMD's existing commitments regarding future increases in production of certain graphics processing unit (GPU) and chipset products at GLOBALFOUNDRIES.
Under the amended agreement, GLOBALFOUNDRIES has committed to provide AMD with, and AMD has committed to purchase, a fixed number of 45nm and 32nm wafers per quarter in 2011. AMD will pay GLOBALFOUNDRIES fixed prices for 45nm wafers delivered in 2011. AMD's price for 32nm products will be based on good die.
In addition, AMD also agreed to pay an additional quarterly amount to GLOBALFOUNDRIES during 2012 if GLOBALFOUNDRIES meets specified conditions related to continued availability of 32nm capacity as of the beginning of 2012.
For 2012, AMD will resume compensating GLOBALFOUNDRIES on a cost-plus basis to manufacture wafers for its microprocessor and APU products. AMD currently estimates that it will pay GLOBALFOUNDRIES approximately $1.1 to $1.5 billion in 2011 and $1.5 to $1.9 billion in 2012 for wafer purchases under the amended WSA. In 2010,
AMD paid GLOBALFOUNDRIES approximately $1.2 billion for wafer purchases. In addition, and unrelated to the WSA amendment, AMD began accounting for its investment in GLOBALFOUNDRIES under the cost method as of the first fiscal quarter of 2011. This transition was triggered by the contribution of Chartered Semiconductor to GLOBALFOUNDRIES and amendments to certain agreements. As a result of this contribution AMD will recognize a noncash gain in its first fiscal quarter 2011 financial results, net of certain costs, of approximately $492 million. The noncash gain is related to the dilution of its equity interest in GLOBALFOUNDRIES and will be reflected in the Equity in net income (loss) of investee line of its Consolidated Statement of Operations.
Latest News Posts
- Mafia 3's soundtrack has over 100 tracks from the 1960s
- PS3 exclusives coming to PC via PlayStation Now
- No Man's Sky sales fall by a massive 81% in the UK
- Fans recreate Overwatch Plays of the Game in real life
- NVIDIA's GP100 die shot teases Pascal, NVLink and HBM2
- Z77x-D3h issue with windows 10 fast start up feature
- MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Graphics Card Review
- asrock z97 extreme4 issue
- ASUSTOR AS6208T Eight-Bay SMB NAS Review
- GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming and Intel 750 400GB SSD on the U.2 port, high CPU usage in windows at idle.
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller
- Cooler Master announces the MasterMouse Pro L
- OZONE introduces RAGE Z50 Series gaming headsets
- EVGA gives away Paragon in-game credit with select graphics cards