AMD Amends Wafer Supply Agreement with GLOBALFOUNDRIES
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced that it amended its Wafer Supply Agreement (WSA) with GLOBALFOUNDRIES Inc. The primary purpose of the amendment was to revise the pricing methodology applicable to wafers delivered in 2011 for AMD's microprocessor and accelerated processing unit (APU) products. The amendment also modified AMD's existing commitments regarding future increases in production of certain graphics processing unit (GPU) and chipset products at GLOBALFOUNDRIES.
Under the amended agreement, GLOBALFOUNDRIES has committed to provide AMD with, and AMD has committed to purchase, a fixed number of 45nm and 32nm wafers per quarter in 2011. AMD will pay GLOBALFOUNDRIES fixed prices for 45nm wafers delivered in 2011. AMD's price for 32nm products will be based on good die.
In addition, AMD also agreed to pay an additional quarterly amount to GLOBALFOUNDRIES during 2012 if GLOBALFOUNDRIES meets specified conditions related to continued availability of 32nm capacity as of the beginning of 2012.
For 2012, AMD will resume compensating GLOBALFOUNDRIES on a cost-plus basis to manufacture wafers for its microprocessor and APU products. AMD currently estimates that it will pay GLOBALFOUNDRIES approximately $1.1 to $1.5 billion in 2011 and $1.5 to $1.9 billion in 2012 for wafer purchases under the amended WSA. In 2010,
AMD paid GLOBALFOUNDRIES approximately $1.2 billion for wafer purchases. In addition, and unrelated to the WSA amendment, AMD began accounting for its investment in GLOBALFOUNDRIES under the cost method as of the first fiscal quarter of 2011. This transition was triggered by the contribution of Chartered Semiconductor to GLOBALFOUNDRIES and amendments to certain agreements. As a result of this contribution AMD will recognize a noncash gain in its first fiscal quarter 2011 financial results, net of certain costs, of approximately $492 million. The noncash gain is related to the dilution of its equity interest in GLOBALFOUNDRIES and will be reflected in the Equity in net income (loss) of investee line of its Consolidated Statement of Operations.
Latest News Posts
- Become a certified Microsoft Office expert with this bundle
- See the cancelled Legacy of Kain game in action
- Ready At Dawn's new AAA action game to be revealed next week
- Here's everything we know about Ghost Recon Wildlands
- New map, competitive ranking system arrive for Insurgency
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Asus S300CA screen flickering/stripes
- Asrock MB front HD audio doesn't work (rear works)
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles