JEDEC to Standardise Hybrid Memory Modules
JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, the global leader in standards development for the microelectronics industry, today announced that its JC-45 Committee for DRAM Modules intends to form a new Subcommittee focused on the standardisation of hybrid memory modules. To be chaired by PNY Technologies, Inc. and Cypress Semiconductor, the JC-45.6 Hybrid Modules Subcommittee will hold its first meeting in Munich, Germany on February 28, 2011.
Hybrid memory modules are comprised of different types of memory technologies and leverage some of the beneficial characteristics of each, operating as a system instead of as individual components. "I am optimistic about the potential benefits of hybrid modules," said Chris Socci, Chairman of the new JC-45.6 Subcommittee. "For example, modules with a DRAM interface that also incorporate the non-volatile characteristics of NAND flash could provide new options for data security in a variety of storage and backup systems in the event of power loss. This new family of modules has the potential to help entire segments of the market 'go green' by reducing the need for batteries, and may one day extend to all applications that demand memory."
John Kelly, JEDEC President, added, "The new hybrid modules activity in JC-45 is part of an ongoing effort within JEDEC to extend memory technologies to meet the industry's need for innovative solutions that will meet future demands. I am pleased to welcome all interested companies to participate in the development of open industry standards within JEDEC to help enable and grow the market for these types of modules."
Latest News Posts
- 'Warcraft' movie set for a delay
- Cybersecurity market receiving strong boost from increasing VC funds
- JAXA space agency wants to head to the moon in 2018
- The Smart Lightbulb You Control Through Your Phone, Now 32% Off
- Following more data breaches, consumers learning to pay attention
- Motherboard GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
- SilverStone Fortress SST-FT05B-W Full-Tower Chassis Review
- Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 Error Code 10 and 15
- Patriot FUEL iON Magnetic 2100mAh Battery Pack Review
- PC case models with slideout motherboard trays?
- Acer Launches World's First Curved Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Technology
- Endless possibilities...Introducing the Fractal Define S!
- BIOSTAR brings out the Small but Powerful Hi-Fi B85S1 Motherboard
- ASUS Announces that All its Z97 and X99 Motherboards Support NVMe
- AquaComputer Announces New Water-blocks for NVIDIA GTX Titan X