Opera releases WAC-ready widget runtime for Android
Oslo, Norway - December 22, 2010
Today, Opera Software introduced its new widget runtime platform for Google's Android operating system. The runtime will support the new Wholesale Applications Community (WAC) 1.0 Specification.
WAC is an alliance of the world's leading mobile operators and OEMs, such as Vodafone, Verizon, China Mobile, Telenor, Telefonica, AT&T, Samsung, Huawei and others, working together to define, create and deploy a common mobile application platform. Uniting a fragmented applications marketplace, WAC will create an open industry platform that benefits the entire ecosystem, including applications developers, handset manufacturers, OS owners, network operators and end users.
This alpha release of Opera's widget runtime for Android allows developers to get a head start in developing the next step in applications for smartphones. At the same time, the WAC implementation serves as a platform for distribution.
"It is a great pleasure for us to present our public implementation of the WAC 1.0 specification and to get developers going," said Christen Krogh, Chief Developer Officer, Opera Software. "Opera is participating in WAC and remains committed to take the WAC platform to the masses."
With the Widget runtime for Android, Opera enters a natural arena for its popular widget system. Currently, Opera has implemented cross-device widgets on the Opera desktop browser, Opera Mobile and Opera for devices.
"We are delighted that Opera is supporting WAC 1.0 with its new widget runtime" commented Peters Suh, CEO, WAC, "In the year since WAC was announced at Mobile World Congress in 2010 we have consistently hit our deadlines, and this announcement underlines that we are on schedule to launch WAC 1.0 devices and storefronts at Mobile World Congress 2011."
To start developing widgets and begin implementing the WAC APIs, simply go to http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?sub=++++&id=33389&location=270¬hanks=yes and download the runtime.
Instructions can be found at: http://labs.opera.com/docs/wac/installation_instructions/ This runtime is provided for evaluation and demo purposes and is free of charge for all developers.
Read more about the WAC specifications here: http://www.wacapps.net/
About Opera Software ASA
Opera Software ASA has redefined web browsing for PCs, mobile phones and other networked devices. Opera's cross-platform web-browser technology is renowned for its performance, standards compliance and small size, while giving users a faster, safer and more dynamic online experience. Opera Software is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with offices around the world. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at http://www.opera.com/.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano spotted in an MSI motherboard
- DOTA 2 'The International' has a huge $18 million prize pool
- YouTube's web-based video player receives a slick new look
- EA teases Mirror's Edge Catalyst trailer ahead of Gamescom
- Basemark Web 3.0 announced, wants to benchmark all the browsers
- Windows 10 utilities for h97? (F Stream)
- unwisely spent on pursuits Muscle Building
- windows 10 help
- Nem ASUS sabertooth 990fx R2.0+ 4.7 pro freeze
- MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING (Intel X99) Motherboard Review
- Noctua Provides Free Mounting Upgrade for Upcoming Intel "Skylake" Platform
- Crucial to Showcase New Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 White Modules at Gamescom
- HighPoint Unveils USB 3.1 Product Line
- Toshiba Unveils 256 Gigabit 48-layer 3D TLC NAND Chip
- Unigen Announces DDR4 Modules