AMD's 16-Core "Interlagos" Server Processor Named a "Top New Product to Watch" for High Performance Computing
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -11/16/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that its upcoming 16-core server platform based on the "Bulldozer" core has been selected by the editors of HPCWire as one of the top 5 new products or technologies to watch in 2011. AMD was also selected as one of the top vendors to watch, and the highly technical readership of HPCWire named the AMD Opteron 6100 Series processor ("Magny-Cours") as a top new product.
"The HPC community demands the very best in current products and is always looking at the leading edge of innovation," said John Fruehe, director, Server and Embedded product marketing, AMD. "The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform is continuing to gain traction with our customers, as it simply offers more cores and more memory for less money. We know that for HPC workloads, more cores mean more performance and clearly they are excited about the idea of a highly-efficient 16-core processor based on the new "Bulldozer" architecture that is platform-compatible with current offerings."
Scheduled for production in 2Q11 and launch with widespread availability in 3Q11, the "Interlagos" processor features up to 16 cores and 4 channels of DDR-3 memory, ideally suited for HPC environments. The 8-core, 2-channel processor code-named "Valencia" will be well suited for smaller HPC clusters where power or price are significant concerns. "Bulldozer", the first new server processor core technology from AMD since the introduction of the original AMD Opteron processor, features a modular design with 256-bit floating point capabilities and other features that compliment high performance computing.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- BMW, Apple to rekindle relationship, possible car development?
- Latest Apple rumor: company will announce new Apple TV in September
- MMA fighter Paul Daley enjoys using social media to interact with fans
- NVIDIA recalling Shield tablets because of possible fire hazard
- Developers felt the pressure while creating Star Wars Battlefront
- GA-Z77X-UD4H F3a Modified BIOS Possible Issue
- Buffalo MiniStation Extreme NFC 1TB External HDD Review
- P67A-UD4-B3 Windows 10
- On Z97 Anniversary: No networking devices supported by Windows 10?
- Addonics AD2U31PX2 USB 3.1 2-Port PCIe 2X Add-On Card Review
- Gamescom 2015 - Vertagear Racing Series at Caseking's Booth
- NVIDIA Recalls Select Shield Tablets over Fire Hazard
- Thermaltake Unveils the Core V51 Riing Edition Window Green PC Chassis
- EVGA Announces the X99 Micro2 Motherboard
- Toshiba to Offer Full Line of Windows 10 Business Devices