WD(R) Gives Android(TM) Phone Users Remote Access to Their Entire Photo Library
WD Photos(TM) Photo Viewer App Enables Access of up to 285,000 Photos Stored on WD Network Drives
LAKE FOREST, Calif., Nov. 2, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --
Western Digital(R) (NYSE: WDC), the world's leader in external storage solutions, today announced that its WD Photos(TM) photo viewer app now enables Android(TM) smartphone users to view all the photos stored on their WD home network drive, including My Book(R) Live(TM), My Book(R) World Edition(TM) and WD ShareSpace(TM) models, anywhere they have an Internet connection. The WD Photos app also is available for iPad(TM), iPhone(R), iPhone4 and iPod touch(R) mobile digital devices, and is now available at the Android Market(TM) as a free download.
Designed for the Android platform, the WD Photos app is compatible with the most popular Android OS-based smartphones, in native resolution, including, but not limited to, the Droid(R) by Motorola(R), DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC(R), Nexus One(TM), and HTC EVO(TM) 4G. After users have copied their pictures into the Shared Pictures folder on their WD network drive, the WD Photos app provides users access to their photo library while connected to their home network or from anywhere they can access the Internet using compatible mobile devices. Users' photos remain private, safe and secure on their network drive, eliminating the need for time-consuming uploads to costly online photo services and the need to choose which pictures to sync to their Android smartphone. On their Android device, consumers can search for their specific photos by name or the date the photo was taken and scroll through thumbnail previews while sharing all of their memories with friends and family.
Android phones have captured 34 percent of the fast-growing U.S. smartphone market, and shipments increased 886 percent in the second calendar quarter of 2010, year-over-year, making it the largest smartphone platform in the U.S., according to Canalys, a leading global provider of smartphone market data and analysis.
"Android phones are enjoying a huge success in the market," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group. "By customizing the WD Photos app for Android phones, we provide a greater number of our users a better experience for viewing and sharing the precious photos safely stored at home on their WD home network drives."
WD Photos Photo Viewer App Features
Features of the WD Photos photo viewer app for Android smartphones include:
Photos are automatically resized for perfect viewing on Android devices, leaving originals on the network drives in full resolution;
Smart filtering to find the photos you want -- view photos by album, folder or all images and search by date, folder name or file name;
Access previously viewed photos offline;
Share photos via email, Facebook, Twitter, Picasa(TM) and other methods;
Assign a photo to a contact;
Add a photo to the gallery; and,
View photos in a slideshow.
The WD Photos photo viewer app is compatible with Android OS 2.1 or later and works with WD's My Book Live and My Book World Edition network drives and WD ShareSpace network storage systems. Users must register with WD's free remote access service to use the app. For detailed information, visit the WD Photos photo viewer page.
WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company designs and produces reliable, high-performance hard drives and solid state drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. Its advanced technologies are configured into applications for client and enterprise computing, embedded systems and consumer electronics, as well as its own consumer storage and media products.
WD was founded in 1970. The company's storage products are marketed to leading OEMs, systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital(R) and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's website (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon GPU tech will power Intel's next-gen iGPUs
- Titanfall 2 infographic reveal interesting information
- Apple's new MacBook Pro has crappy battery life
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand