Opera brings the Web to Leadtek's media phones
The return of the desk phone
Oslo, Norway, and Taipei, Taiwan- October 28, 2010
Leadtek, a leading Taiwan-based manufacturer of video telecommunication products, has selected Opera Devices SDK to bring widgets and full web browsing to its new multimedia phones, AMOR 8210 and AMOR 8a10. Integrated with IP telephony, IP camera viewer, digital photo frame and web applications, they elevate the user experience on desk phones. The phones come with seven-inch touchscreen panels and an intuitive icon-based interface, that provide easy and immediate access to practical Internet services, such as news and weather, with just a few taps.
Leadtek's AMOR media phones are next-generation IP video phones based on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). Powered by Opera Devices SDK for Linux, the phones can easily meet operators' requirements and bring online services to the media phones. For example, Chunghwa Telecom (TAIEX: 2412, NYSE: CHT), the leading telecom service provider in Taiwan, has recently launched the service called "iHomecare," employing the power of this phone to provide online information services, such as weather, traffic, health care, discounts and cab reservations.
The media phone represents a new category of broadband multimedia devices that has the potential to become the fourth screen in the home, complementing the PC, TV and mobile handset. It offers always-on, one-touch access to popular online content. Industry data shows that the shipment of media phones is starting to take off. According to In-Stat's forecast, by 2013, annual shipments of media phones, worldwide, will range from 23 million (partial subsidy) to more than 48 million (full subsidy).
"Being the next generation of the desk phones, AMOR media phones will bring a superior user experience. The performance of a web browser on this kind of device must be as good as other devices, such as PCs and mobile phones that people often use for accessing Internet," said Michael Yang, Spokeperson of Leadtek. "Opera Devices SDK delivers a seamless Internet experience on the media phone and is easy to customize, which also gives us flexibility to meet the requirements from the operators."
Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software, said, "Opera Devices SDK is future oriented, sharing the same underlying core across platforms, from PCs to mobile phones, connected TVs and media phones. Internet telephony is quickly becoming a key component in the operator multi-play offerings. Now with Opera technology, Leadtek's media phones can give end users the added value of being able to access the Web on a phone screen quickly."
About Leadtek Research Inc.
Founded in 1986, Leadtek Research Inc. is headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan with overseas subsidiaries in China and Japan. Leadtek focuses on the design and manufacture of 3D graphics, PCTV solutions, GPS modules and navigation devices, Bluetooth-enabled products, Multimedia and Audio/Video Communications and Bio-technology. Living up to its reputation for reliability, quality and performance based on unrelenting R&D, Leadtek continues to stir the market's imagination, turning new dreams into digital reality with increasingly original high-tech products forged in its laboratories of cutting-edge technology.
About Opera Software ASA
Opera Software ASA has redefined web browsing for PCs, mobile phones and other networked devices. Opera's cross-platform web-browser technology is renowned for its performance, standards compliance and small size, while giving users a faster, safer and more dynamic online experience. Opera Software is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with offices around the world. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at http://www.opera.com/.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 5 will have a 'much more sociable' story thanks to 4-player co-op
- Pepsi launching 'Back to the Future II' bottle design
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- GUITAR HERO LIVE PITS JAMES FRANCO AGAINST LENNY KRAVITZ IN AN EPIC ROCK BATTLE WITH THE PREMIERE OF THE 'WIN THE CROWD' LIVE-ACTION TRAILER