Opera brings the Web to Leadtek's media phones
The return of the desk phone
Oslo, Norway, and Taipei, Taiwan- October 28, 2010
Leadtek, a leading Taiwan-based manufacturer of video telecommunication products, has selected Opera Devices SDK to bring widgets and full web browsing to its new multimedia phones, AMOR 8210 and AMOR 8a10. Integrated with IP telephony, IP camera viewer, digital photo frame and web applications, they elevate the user experience on desk phones. The phones come with seven-inch touchscreen panels and an intuitive icon-based interface, that provide easy and immediate access to practical Internet services, such as news and weather, with just a few taps.
Leadtek's AMOR media phones are next-generation IP video phones based on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). Powered by Opera Devices SDK for Linux, the phones can easily meet operators' requirements and bring online services to the media phones. For example, Chunghwa Telecom (TAIEX: 2412, NYSE: CHT), the leading telecom service provider in Taiwan, has recently launched the service called "iHomecare," employing the power of this phone to provide online information services, such as weather, traffic, health care, discounts and cab reservations.
The media phone represents a new category of broadband multimedia devices that has the potential to become the fourth screen in the home, complementing the PC, TV and mobile handset. It offers always-on, one-touch access to popular online content. Industry data shows that the shipment of media phones is starting to take off. According to In-Stat's forecast, by 2013, annual shipments of media phones, worldwide, will range from 23 million (partial subsidy) to more than 48 million (full subsidy).
"Being the next generation of the desk phones, AMOR media phones will bring a superior user experience. The performance of a web browser on this kind of device must be as good as other devices, such as PCs and mobile phones that people often use for accessing Internet," said Michael Yang, Spokeperson of Leadtek. "Opera Devices SDK delivers a seamless Internet experience on the media phone and is easy to customize, which also gives us flexibility to meet the requirements from the operators."
Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software, said, "Opera Devices SDK is future oriented, sharing the same underlying core across platforms, from PCs to mobile phones, connected TVs and media phones. Internet telephony is quickly becoming a key component in the operator multi-play offerings. Now with Opera technology, Leadtek's media phones can give end users the added value of being able to access the Web on a phone screen quickly."
About Leadtek Research Inc.
Founded in 1986, Leadtek Research Inc. is headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan with overseas subsidiaries in China and Japan. Leadtek focuses on the design and manufacture of 3D graphics, PCTV solutions, GPS modules and navigation devices, Bluetooth-enabled products, Multimedia and Audio/Video Communications and Bio-technology. Living up to its reputation for reliability, quality and performance based on unrelenting R&D, Leadtek continues to stir the market's imagination, turning new dreams into digital reality with increasingly original high-tech products forged in its laboratories of cutting-edge technology.
About Opera Software ASA
Opera Software ASA has redefined web browsing for PCs, mobile phones and other networked devices. Opera's cross-platform web-browser technology is renowned for its performance, standards compliance and small size, while giving users a faster, safer and more dynamic online experience. Opera Software is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with offices around the world. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at http://www.opera.com/.
Latest News Posts
- Apple already putting pressure on Fitbit in wearables market
- Charge ALL the Things With a 4-Port USB Hub
- Trying to prevent drones from dropping contraband into prisons is hard
- No Star Wars Battlefront Xbox One bundle, EA confirms
- Razer offers Aussie LoL fans a ticket for worldwide travel
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- Z77 Extreme6 boot screen displays after hard shutoff/reactivation, does not display after reset
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20