WD Photos(TM) Free Photo Viewer App for iPad(TM) and iPhone(R) Accesses Images Stored on WD(R) Network Drives
Update to Photo Viewing Software Turns iPad into the Ultimate Photo Album
LAKE FOREST, Calif., Oct 07, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --
WD(R) (NYSE: WDC), the world's leader in external storage solutions, today announced WD Photos(TM)(photo), the newest release of its photo viewer app, which is now optimized for iPad(TM) and iPhone(R)4. Available as a free download from iTunes(R), the WD Photos app provides remote access to photos stored on a WD network hard drive including My Book(R) World Edition(TM), My Book Live(TM) and WD ShareSpace(TM). The images are displayed in native iPad and iPhone resolution, and users can access up to 285,000 of their favorite photos anywhere they can access the Internet by simply copying their pictures into the "Shared Pictures" folder on their WD network hard drive. The WD Photos photo viewer app offers a variety of new features that allow users to stay connected to more of their digital photos, including:
Pinch and zoom functionality so consumers can digitally zoom in on the displayed photo;
Horizontal split view for iPad;
Option to instantly post photos from the WD Photos app to users' Facebook(R) wall;
New slideshow transitions including pan and zoom, page curl, and cube;
Increased 5 GB capacity to support iPad's larger memory and higher resolution;
iPad full screen support at 1024x768; and,
iPhone HD/OS 3 & 4 support.
WD Photos photo viewer app, optimized for iPad and other leading Apple(R) mobile devices, fulfills the growing demand to view, store, and consolidate photos on the go. With over 2 million iPads sold as of May 31, 2010 (Apple), the iPad has been embraced enthusiastically by consumers to access and share their digital content.
Although digital photo viewing is not new, research firm Parks Associates says the practice is still on the rise. According to a recent Parks survey, 68 percent of broadband households viewed digital photos at least monthly in 2009, compared to 59 percent in 2006 (Parks Associates: Consumer Storage Opportunities 2010). Combining the centralized storage and remote access benefits of WD's network drives with the iPad is a natural fit with this rapidly growing consumer behavior.
"Viewing pictures on an iPad is a great experience. WD Photos leverages the iPad's beautiful multi-touch screen to enable truly intuitive navigation of thousands of photos," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group. "With our application, consumers can share a lifetime of photos right from their sofa without worrying about which photos to sync or how they're organized. With access to up to 285,000 photos stored on a WD network drive, users can have instant access to all their photos wherever they are."
WD Photos Photo Compatibility
Available for download now at the Apple iTunes Store(R), WD Photos photo viewer app is compatible with iPad, iPhone, iPhone 4, and iPod touch(R) and works with My Book World Edition, My Book World Edition II, WD ShareSpace, and My Book Live. Users must register with WD's free, secure MioNet(R) remote access service to use the WD Photos photo viewer app.
WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company designs and produces reliable, high-performance hard drives and solid state drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. Its advanced technologies are configured into applications for client and enterprise computing, embedded systems and consumer electronics, as well as its own consumer storage and media products.
Latest News Posts
- Dell's new 70-inch touchscreen for schools unveiled, costs $5000
- Battlefield 1 will have DX12 support, current alpha runs very smooth
- How the PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio are frustrating and confusing gamers
- Nintendo explains why its so secretive about the NX console
- Final 'Star Trek: Beyond' trailer peaks at the right time
- MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G - Silent Gaming Major OC Headroom
- New Gaming Build - Looking fro feedback
- Fractal Design CORE 500 Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Chassis Review
- H110M-ITX loses USB and PS1 when WIN 7 loads
- Why does my Monitor show static and lines occasionally when using 144hz?
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines