Kobo to be Pre-loaded on New BlackBerry PlayBook
SAN FRANCISCO - Kobo, a global eReading service, today announced plans for its application to be preloaded on the BlackBerry® PlayBook tablet, giving users easy access to the Kobo experience including Kobo's store of more than 2.2 million books.
Earlier this week, Kobo also announced plans for an industry-first social eReading application that will leverage the new BBM (BlackBerry® Messenger) Social Platform.
"We are thrilled to be extending our extensive relationship with RIM into the tablet space," said Michael Serbinis, CEO of Kobo. "Readers will love the elegant design, crisp display and portable size and weight of the BlackBerry PlayBook, which is perfectly suited for long reading sessions. I am also excited by the possibilities of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, which will allow us to bring today's bestsellers and classics, as well as other rich content, to BlackBerry PlayBook users."
The 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is an ideal size for eBooks, allowing both comfort and convenience for readers. The new BlackBerry Tablet OS also features a WebKit browser engine, preferred by Kobo and used across its applications to deliver feature-rich and high-performance eReading applications.
"The new BlackBerry PlayBook is a multitasking powerhouse for apps and content services and, together with Kobo's eBooks app and service, it will provide users with an exceptional eReading experience," said Jim Tobin, Senior Vice President, Value-Added Services, Research In Motion. "Kobo is an excellent partner for RIM given the global nature of both our businesses and because Kobo provides a great customer experience, including regionalized apps, content and pricing."
Key features of the Kobo eBook app on the BlackBerry PlayBook are:
- Integrated shopping. The Kobo store offers more than 2.2 million titles and the catalogue includes bestsellers, new releases and over 1 million free books. International stores feature region-specific content and pricing.
- Find books easily. Extensive categories and recommended reading lists help readers find their next great read.
- Choose library view. See your collection of books in a list, or on Kobo's beautiful virtual bookshelf.
- Customizable reading options. Personalize text size, font and style. Switch between day and night reading mode or customize a specific brightness setting.
- Easy navigation. Tap to turn pages, scroll quickly through a book, or use the Table of Contents to jump between sections.
- Switch views. Kobo will automatically switch from landscape to portrait view as the BlackBerry PlayBook is turned.
- Read anywhere. Kobo also offers free reading applications for BlackBerry® smartphones, computers and other devices, which all sync together across a user's account. Kobo members can pick up and read on any device without ever losing their place.
- Open platform. Kobo supports open standards, including EPUB, PDF, allowing customers to buy once and read anywhere, or read free choosing from over 1 million free titles from Kobo or visiting public eBook libraries.
- Social shopping and shared eReading will be introduced upon availability of the BBM Social Platform. Watch a video of what Kobo is planning at http://blog.kobobooks.com/BBM.
About Kobo, Inc.
Kobo is a global eReading service backed by majority shareholder Indigo Books & Music, Borders Group, REDgroup Retail, and Cheung Kong Holdings. Kobo believes consumers should be able to read any book on any device. With a catalog of over two million eBooks, and an open platform, Kobo enables retailers, device manufacturers and mobile operators to bring the joy of eReading to customers everywhere. For more information, visit http://www.kobobooks.com.
About Research In Motion
Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry® solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit http://www.rim.com or http://www.blackberry.com.
Latest News Posts
- USB 3.2 announced, packs double the bandwidth of USB 3.1
- India bans autonomous cars to protect against job losses
- Colorful iGame GTX 1080 Ti Kudan rocks MASSIVE cooler
- EVGA announces $999 price on GeForce GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N
- Kingdom Hearts III on the PS4 has CG-level graphics
- Alphacool Eiswand External CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Team T-Force Night Hawk RGB DDR4-3000 RAM Kit Review
- Phanteks Evolv Shift SFF Chassis Review
- GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- ADATA Debuts XPG SPECTRIX D40 RGB DDR4 RAM
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology