Kobo to be Pre-loaded on New BlackBerry PlayBook
SAN FRANCISCO - Kobo, a global eReading service, today announced plans for its application to be preloaded on the BlackBerry® PlayBook tablet, giving users easy access to the Kobo experience including Kobo's store of more than 2.2 million books.
Earlier this week, Kobo also announced plans for an industry-first social eReading application that will leverage the new BBM (BlackBerry® Messenger) Social Platform.
"We are thrilled to be extending our extensive relationship with RIM into the tablet space," said Michael Serbinis, CEO of Kobo. "Readers will love the elegant design, crisp display and portable size and weight of the BlackBerry PlayBook, which is perfectly suited for long reading sessions. I am also excited by the possibilities of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, which will allow us to bring today's bestsellers and classics, as well as other rich content, to BlackBerry PlayBook users."
The 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is an ideal size for eBooks, allowing both comfort and convenience for readers. The new BlackBerry Tablet OS also features a WebKit browser engine, preferred by Kobo and used across its applications to deliver feature-rich and high-performance eReading applications.
"The new BlackBerry PlayBook is a multitasking powerhouse for apps and content services and, together with Kobo's eBooks app and service, it will provide users with an exceptional eReading experience," said Jim Tobin, Senior Vice President, Value-Added Services, Research In Motion. "Kobo is an excellent partner for RIM given the global nature of both our businesses and because Kobo provides a great customer experience, including regionalized apps, content and pricing."
Key features of the Kobo eBook app on the BlackBerry PlayBook are:
- Integrated shopping. The Kobo store offers more than 2.2 million titles and the catalogue includes bestsellers, new releases and over 1 million free books. International stores feature region-specific content and pricing.
- Find books easily. Extensive categories and recommended reading lists help readers find their next great read.
- Choose library view. See your collection of books in a list, or on Kobo's beautiful virtual bookshelf.
- Customizable reading options. Personalize text size, font and style. Switch between day and night reading mode or customize a specific brightness setting.
- Easy navigation. Tap to turn pages, scroll quickly through a book, or use the Table of Contents to jump between sections.
- Switch views. Kobo will automatically switch from landscape to portrait view as the BlackBerry PlayBook is turned.
- Read anywhere. Kobo also offers free reading applications for BlackBerry® smartphones, computers and other devices, which all sync together across a user's account. Kobo members can pick up and read on any device without ever losing their place.
- Open platform. Kobo supports open standards, including EPUB, PDF, allowing customers to buy once and read anywhere, or read free choosing from over 1 million free titles from Kobo or visiting public eBook libraries.
- Social shopping and shared eReading will be introduced upon availability of the BBM Social Platform. Watch a video of what Kobo is planning at http://blog.kobobooks.com/BBM.
About Kobo, Inc.
Kobo is a global eReading service backed by majority shareholder Indigo Books & Music, Borders Group, REDgroup Retail, and Cheung Kong Holdings. Kobo believes consumers should be able to read any book on any device. With a catalog of over two million eBooks, and an open platform, Kobo enables retailers, device manufacturers and mobile operators to bring the joy of eReading to customers everywhere. For more information, visit http://www.kobobooks.com.
About Research In Motion
Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry® solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit http://www.rim.com or http://www.blackberry.com.
Latest News Posts
- Police called due to altercation between eSports pro and journalist
- Amazon's new Prime Air drones deliver packages in 30 minutes or less
- Star Wars Battlefront weekend PC players doubled by Team Fortress 2
- University of California develops valuable injury training simulation
- VTech hacked and 4.8 million accounts compromised, links to children
- be quiet! Dark Rock TF Top Flow CPU Cooler Review
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Problems With USB3
- Star Wars Battlefront PlayStation 4 Review
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis