Dell Teams With OnLive Inc. For Pioneering Cloud-Gaming Service
- OnLive has made a major deployment of custom-engineered Dell servers for the initial rollout of its new cloud-gaming service on June 17.
- It is one of the largest installations of GPU-powered servers to date.
- Dell Data Center Solutions designed servers to allow OnLive to quickly and efficiently scale with service and subscriber growth.
Dell today announced that it is working closely with OnLive Inc., a pioneer of on-demand, instant-play video games, to power the OnLive® Game Service, which launches on June 17 . Dell Data Center Solutions (DCS) has been helping OnLive for several years to custom-design servers tailored for the OnLive platform, allowing OnLive to quickly scale with the growth of its customer base, starting from what is already one of the largest GPU-powered server deployments to date .
"As a startup, it can be challenging to access the resources needed to produce and quickly scale computing infrastructure," said Steve Perlman, Founder and CEO of OnLive. "Dell has been an outstanding partner, working closely with our engineers to design servers to our exact specifications and business needs, incorporating patented and patent-pending OnLive technology. Dell has the expertise and mechanisms in place that enable us to quickly ramp up to a mass-market scale for the delivery of the hottest games instantly through the Internet to gamers anywhere on a PC, Mac®, TV and other devices."
In preparation for the launch of the OnLive Game Service at the 2010 E3 Expo, OnLive has been rapidly installing the customized Dell servers in its data centers. A DCS team worked directly with OnLive to design a unique, ultra-dense and power efficient infrastructure solution that would allow OnLive to scale quickly while driving down total cost of ownership. The resulting servers were designed around OnLive's proprietary hardware and software, and were engineered specifically to address the complex challenges of instant access to HD-quality video games and other high-performance applications over the Internet.
Using the DCS supply chain and fulfillment expertise, Dell delivers the servers rack-integrated and ready to be hooked up and powered up the same day they arrive at an OnLive data center. Dell will continue to work closely with OnLive on new infrastructure designs for future generations of the service.
"Customers in the hyperscale data center segment like OnLive demand a different approach to infrastructure design and delivery, one that is customized and collaborative, and focused on dramatically reduced total cost of ownership," said Forrest Norrod, vice president and general manager of server platforms, Dell. "Dell is proud to be working with a truly innovative company like OnLive to design and produce the infrastructure solutions that will help OnLive grow its business and bring this breakthrough service to gamers worldwide."
Dell Solutions for Cloud Gaming
The Dell Data Center Solutions (DCS) team has been custom-designing infrastructure solutions for the world's leading cloud service providers and hyperscale data center operators for the past three years. With a client roster including some of the most heavily trafficked Internet sites and several of the top global search engines, Dell has deep expertise about the specialized needs of organizations in HPC, Web 2.0, gaming, social networking, energy, SaaS, plus public and private cloud builders.
Latest News Posts
- 21 million people tuned in to watch E3 using Twitch, company says
- Get an iPhone 5 and Contract-Free Wireless Service for 73% Off
- SpaceX will be just fine despite latest Falcon 9 rocket mishap
- Acer announces its new 34-inch curved ultrawide monitor with FreeSync
- Saygus V SQUARED smartphone has up to 464GB of on-board storage
- ASUS Z97 Pro-Gamer MB. M2 mounting point.
- Tt eSPORTS Isurus Pro In-Ear Gaming Headset Review
- cloning os to MZHPV256HDGL-00000
- GA-Z97X Gaming 5 + Intel QDE4
- G41M Combo DDR3 RAM not working
- Marble Monster is intensively addicting and action packed!
- ROCCAT Announces Taito Control Gaming Mousepad
- Lite-On Introduces Low Latency M.2 PCIe SSDs for Cloud Vendors
- Ozone Gaming Announces ORIGEN Mousepad
- PNY Launches the Mini HP v160 USB 2.0 Flash Drive