SMARTBOOK IS OUR BRAND
Cologne, 08/06/2010: All SMARTBOOK brands of the SMARTBOOK AG are currently under attack from Qualcomm Inc. Due to these attacks, proceedings are under way at several Trademark Offices regarding the registration of these brands. Qualcomm claims that SMARTBOOK is a descriptive term. SMARTBOOK AG considers this claim to be incorrect.
The extended word mark SMARTBOOK had already been registered in the United Kingdom when Qualcomm appealed to the courts there. The fact that the United Kingdom as the original English-speaking country registered the term as non-descriptive definitely speaks for SMARTBOOK not being a descriptive term.
The situation is different in e.g. Turkey where a brand called SMARTBOOK was already registered previously. The Turkish Trademark Office refused the registration due to existing property rights.
The competent courts will be making a decision regarding the brands in the next three to five years. When the brands have been registered, only the owner of the brand, SMARTBOOK AG, will be authorized to use the brands from the date of the trademark registration.
Smartbook and smartbook for smart people are registered trademarks in the Federal Republic of Germany.
SMARTBOOK is internationally registered (from Germany via the World Intellectual Property Organization - http://www.wipo.org) for the following countries: Germany, Antigua, Austria, Australia, Benelux, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Sweden, Singapore, Turkey and Ukraine.
Latest News Posts
- AMD details their new Radeon RX 470 and RX 460 graphics cards
- Watch 26 minutes of leaked No Man's Sky footage
- Last day for Windows 10 free upgrade is today
- Radeon 16.7.3 drivers improve Rise of the Tomb Raider performance
- Pay what you want for 180+ hours of game dev training
- Z170 Deluxe Help Setup with RAID10 + SSD for OS
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Linksys EA9500 MAX-STREAM AC5400 Wireless Router Review
- GA-X58A-UD7 Error Code 88 (or 8b something)
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio