SMARTBOOK IS OUR BRAND
Cologne, 08/06/2010: All SMARTBOOK brands of the SMARTBOOK AG are currently under attack from Qualcomm Inc. Due to these attacks, proceedings are under way at several Trademark Offices regarding the registration of these brands. Qualcomm claims that SMARTBOOK is a descriptive term. SMARTBOOK AG considers this claim to be incorrect.
The extended word mark SMARTBOOK had already been registered in the United Kingdom when Qualcomm appealed to the courts there. The fact that the United Kingdom as the original English-speaking country registered the term as non-descriptive definitely speaks for SMARTBOOK not being a descriptive term.
The situation is different in e.g. Turkey where a brand called SMARTBOOK was already registered previously. The Turkish Trademark Office refused the registration due to existing property rights.
The competent courts will be making a decision regarding the brands in the next three to five years. When the brands have been registered, only the owner of the brand, SMARTBOOK AG, will be authorized to use the brands from the date of the trademark registration.
Smartbook and smartbook for smart people are registered trademarks in the Federal Republic of Germany.
SMARTBOOK is internationally registered (from Germany via the World Intellectual Property Organization - http://www.wipo.org) for the following countries: Germany, Antigua, Austria, Australia, Benelux, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Sweden, Singapore, Turkey and Ukraine.
Latest News Posts
- Pre-order Skyrim-themed Monopoly game for March 2017
- Google working on standalone mixed reality headset
- Battlefield 1 patch v1.02 released, UI fixes and more
- 'The Get Down' costs Netflix $16 million per episode
- Star Citizen alpha is free until October 30
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Independence Day Resurgence 4K Blu-ray Review
- Battlefield 1 Multiplayer Gameplay Thoughts
- GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 Resume fail after suspend with Linux
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards
- Eurocom launches the ultrathin 15.6' Sky M5 R2 VR Ready gaming laptop with Intel Core i7 6700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5), 4G LTE support, 64 GB DDR4 memory, 6 TB SSD storage
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now