Apple to Debut iAds on July 1
Over $60 Million in 2010 Commitments from Leading Global Brands
SAN FRANCISCO-June 7, 2010-Apple® today announced it will debut its iAd mobile advertising network on July 1 on iPhone® and iPod touch® devices running its iOS 4 software platform. iAds combine the emotion of TV advertising with the interactivity of Internet advertising, giving advertisers a dynamic and powerful new way to bring motion and emotion to mobile users. iAd will kick off with mobile ad campaigns from leading global brands including AT&T, Best Buy, Campbell Soup Company, Chanel, Citi, DirecTV, GEICO, GE, JCPenney, Liberty Mutual Group, Nissan, Sears, State Farm, Target, Turner Broadcasting System, Unilever and The Walt Disney Studios. Apple has iAd commitments for 2010 totaling over $60 million, which represents almost 50 percent of the total forecasted US mobile ad spending for the second half of 2010.*
"iAd offers advertisers the emotion of TV with the interactivity of the web, and offers users a new way to explore ads without being hijacked out of their favorite apps," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iAds will reach millions of iPhone and iPod touch users-a highly desirable demographic for advertisers-and provide developers a new way to earn money so they can continue developing free and low cost applications."
"iAd will allow Citi to reach millions of people on their iPhone and iPod touch," said Lisa Caputo, executive vice president and CMO, Citigroup. "iAd gives us a remarkable level of creativity for creating ads to connect with our current and future customers in a more interactive style than ever before."
"iAd is going to revolutionize mobile advertising," said Rob Master, North American media director, Unilever. "With iAd, we've been able to create some of our most powerful and compelling ads ever. iAd is the perfect mobile format to reach and engage with our customers."
iAd, which is built into iOS 4, allows users to stay within their app while engaging with the ad, even while watching a video, playing a game or using in-ad purchase to download an app or buy iTunes® content.
Developers who join the iAd Network can easily incorporate a variety of advertising formats into their apps. Apple will sell and serve the ads, and developers will receive an industry-standard 60 percent of the iAd Network revenue, which is paid via iTunes Connect.
iAds require iOS 4, which will be a free software update via iTunes 9.2 or later for iPhone and iPod touch customers. iOS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and second and third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB).
*Percent of forecast based on an annual run rate basis, starting on July 1. US Mobile Display Advertising forecast from the report by JP Morgan, "Nothing But Net-2010 Internet Investment Guide," January 3, 2010.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution with the Apple II, then reinvented the personal computer with the Macintosh. Apple continues to lead the industry with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system, and iLife, iWork and professional applications. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store, has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.
Latest News Posts
- No Star Wars Battlefront Xbox One bundle, EA confirms
- Razer offers Aussie LoL fans a ticket for worldwide travel
- CCleaner hits Windows 10, helping users clear junk out of their system
- CybertronPC first to add support for AMD Radeon R9 NANO video card
- SilverStone hits the storage market again, hot-swap RAID rack release
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- Z77 Extreme6 boot screen displays after hard shutoff/reactivation, does not display after reset
- Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Gaming Sound Bar and Sub Review
- ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Fast BOOT Issue
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20