Samsung Electronics and Microsoft Announce Plans to Expand Access to Digital Entertainment
Samsung adopts PlayReady technology in its consumer devices to enable easy access and transfer of content among TVs, mobile phones, set-top boxes and other devices.
REDMOND, Wash., and SEOUL, South Korea - April 13, 2010 - In a significant agreement that will improve flexibility for consumers looking to transfer and enjoy digital content on a range of devices, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today announced plans to include Microsoft PlayReady technology in a broad range of its consumer products. By including support for PlayReady technology in devices spanning mobile phones, digital video players, televisions and other device offerings, Samsung will make it easier for consumers to have flexible access and to experience and move protected digital content throughout the home and on the go.
"Consumers are increasingly interested in accessing the content they love where they want and when they want," said Dr. W. P. Hong, executive vice president of the Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics. "PlayReady is an integral technology component that will help us to deliver on our vision for connected entertainment and bring to life the kinds of seamless entertainment experiences that take full advantage of the digital medium."
"We share Samsung's dedication to deliver on the promise of making digital entertainment content available in more scenarios and on more devices," said Steve Guggenheimer, corporate vice president of the Original Equipment Manufacturer Division at Microsoft Corp. "By pairing powerful software such as PlayReady with its broad line of impressive consumer electronics products, Samsung is poised to offer consumers exciting new ways to deliver, share and enjoy their digital content."
The first Samsung communications and entertainment devices to support PlayReady are expected to be available for consumers this year, and Samsung expects to migrate from Windows Media Digital Rights Management to PlayReady across its communications and entertainment products worldwide by 2012.
Microsoft PlayReady is content access and protection technology that is designed to enable digital entertainment services across devices and software applications, with a specific focus on meeting the needs of mobile and network operators, service providers, and device manufacturers. PlayReady supports a broad range of different business models that can be applied to almost any type of digital content, including video, games, images and more, and a wide range of audio and video formats, including MPEG Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), AAC+, Enhanced AAC+, H.264, Windows Media Audio and Windows Media Video. PlayReady also provides features such as service domains and embedded licenses that are specifically designed to make it easy for consumers to enjoy content on all their registered devices without the need for an active connection.
About Samsung Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2009 consolidated sales of US $116.7 billion. Employing approximately 157,700 people in 185 offices across 65 countries, the company consists of seven independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit: http://www.samsung.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch supports remote game downloads
- Nintendo Switch left JoyCons have connection issues
- BioShock devs might be making new Twilight Zone 'game'
- A closer look at Mass Effect: Andromeda's power combos
- Digital Nintendo Switch games locked to one console
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications