AMD First with Top-to-Bottom OpenGLR 4.0 and 3.3 Support on WindowsR and Linux Platforms
- AMD continues its commitment to OpenGL community with wide-ranging driver support across ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards -
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -4/5/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today continued its proud tradition of driver firsts, announcing widespread support of the recently-published OpenGL® versions for Windows® 7, Windows® Vista, Windows® XP, and Linux® across select ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards. OpenGL® 4.0 is now supported on ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series graphics cards, and OpenGL® 3.3 is supported by all discrete graphics products from AMD - both consumer and professional graphics - released since the spring of 2007. The new functionality is made possible by a beta driver, available on the AMD website.
"AMD's ability to support OpenGL 4.0 and OpenGL 3.3 almost immediately after the release of their specifications is an incredible feat on the part of our OpenGL software team, and speaks volumes to the commitment and continued support for the many developers utilizing OpenGL," said Ben Bar-Haim, general manager, AMD Canada and corporate vice president, Software Engineering, AMD. "As a company that believes in and encourages open industry standards, maintaining OpenGL as a strong and viable graphics API is very important to AMD."
AMD's beta driver for OpenGL 4.0 and 3.3 includes:
- Full compatibility with the OpenGL 4.0 standard on AMD's most recent graphics products, the ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series:
* Offloading of geometry tessellation from the CPU to the GPU, for a more flexible and productive workflow
* On the ATI Radeon HD 5800 and HD 5900 series graphics cards, double precision processing, designed to enable more accurate modeling and higher quality rendering, applicable to both consumer and workstation uses1
* Seamless interoperability between OpenGL and OpenCL, or other external APIs
- Support for OpenGL 3.3 functionality across all of AMD's discrete graphics products - ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards - released since the spring of 2007
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Uber is now valued at $50 billion, receives funding from Microsoft
- Connected car cybersecurity risks won't go away any time soon
- Sharp pulls out of the TV business in the US after financial problems
- Chinese Galaxy S6 owners can remove Samsung's bloatware
- Modders tease prototype Iron Man mod for Grand Theft Auto V
- New build No Network - Realtek PCIe GBE controller not coming online
- I'm baaaaack
- B85-DGS Bios update
- Ant-Man (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- Asrock Z77 Extreme4 second pci-express problem
- Corsair Memory, PSUs, and CPU Coolers Pave the Way for Next Gen PC Processors
- Windows 10 Free Upgrade on GIGABYTE Laptops!
- Gamescom 2015 - Vertagear Racing Series at Caseking's Booth
- NVIDIA Recalls Select Shield Tablets over Fire Hazard
- Thermaltake Unveils the Core V51 Riing Edition Window Green PC Chassis