AMD First with Top-to-Bottom OpenGLR 4.0 and 3.3 Support on WindowsR and Linux Platforms
- AMD continues its commitment to OpenGL community with wide-ranging driver support across ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards -
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -4/5/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today continued its proud tradition of driver firsts, announcing widespread support of the recently-published OpenGL® versions for Windows® 7, Windows® Vista, Windows® XP, and Linux® across select ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards. OpenGL® 4.0 is now supported on ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series graphics cards, and OpenGL® 3.3 is supported by all discrete graphics products from AMD - both consumer and professional graphics - released since the spring of 2007. The new functionality is made possible by a beta driver, available on the AMD website.
"AMD's ability to support OpenGL 4.0 and OpenGL 3.3 almost immediately after the release of their specifications is an incredible feat on the part of our OpenGL software team, and speaks volumes to the commitment and continued support for the many developers utilizing OpenGL," said Ben Bar-Haim, general manager, AMD Canada and corporate vice president, Software Engineering, AMD. "As a company that believes in and encourages open industry standards, maintaining OpenGL as a strong and viable graphics API is very important to AMD."
AMD's beta driver for OpenGL 4.0 and 3.3 includes:
- Full compatibility with the OpenGL 4.0 standard on AMD's most recent graphics products, the ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series:
* Offloading of geometry tessellation from the CPU to the GPU, for a more flexible and productive workflow
* On the ATI Radeon HD 5800 and HD 5900 series graphics cards, double precision processing, designed to enable more accurate modeling and higher quality rendering, applicable to both consumer and workstation uses1
* Seamless interoperability between OpenGL and OpenCL, or other external APIs
- Support for OpenGL 3.3 functionality across all of AMD's discrete graphics products - ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards - released since the spring of 2007
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- NASA says private space efforts to reach Mars will need support
- TSMC aiming for 10nm production next year, followed by 7nm in 2017
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't use Battlelog, has offline singleplayer
- Rockstar fixes login problems with the first patch for GTA V
- Sony Xperia Z4 teased thanks to WikiLeaks' dump of internal Sony docs
- ASUS Laptop keyboard question
- TOSHIBA HDWC130XK3J1 not recognizedon 3.0 usb port
- E3C224-V4L not available anywhere?
- Drives showing incorrect free space after installing 32GB of memory
- Memtest sometimes pass, sometimes dont.
- OWC Viper Pro Thunderbolt External SSD Premieres at NAB 2015
- HP Introduces WS Storage Advancement, Mobile WS and Professional Displays
- NEC Introduces Two New AccuSync LED-backlit Monitors
- BIOSTAR Releases the H81MDC-LSP Motherboard
- HGST Ships NVM Express Compliant Solid-State Drives