AMD First with Top-to-Bottom OpenGLR 4.0 and 3.3 Support on WindowsR and Linux Platforms
- AMD continues its commitment to OpenGL community with wide-ranging driver support across ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards -
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -4/5/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today continued its proud tradition of driver firsts, announcing widespread support of the recently-published OpenGL® versions for Windows® 7, Windows® Vista, Windows® XP, and Linux® across select ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards. OpenGL® 4.0 is now supported on ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series graphics cards, and OpenGL® 3.3 is supported by all discrete graphics products from AMD - both consumer and professional graphics - released since the spring of 2007. The new functionality is made possible by a beta driver, available on the AMD website.
"AMD's ability to support OpenGL 4.0 and OpenGL 3.3 almost immediately after the release of their specifications is an incredible feat on the part of our OpenGL software team, and speaks volumes to the commitment and continued support for the many developers utilizing OpenGL," said Ben Bar-Haim, general manager, AMD Canada and corporate vice president, Software Engineering, AMD. "As a company that believes in and encourages open industry standards, maintaining OpenGL as a strong and viable graphics API is very important to AMD."
AMD's beta driver for OpenGL 4.0 and 3.3 includes:
- Full compatibility with the OpenGL 4.0 standard on AMD's most recent graphics products, the ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series:
* Offloading of geometry tessellation from the CPU to the GPU, for a more flexible and productive workflow
* On the ATI Radeon HD 5800 and HD 5900 series graphics cards, double precision processing, designed to enable more accurate modeling and higher quality rendering, applicable to both consumer and workstation uses1
* Seamless interoperability between OpenGL and OpenCL, or other external APIs
- Support for OpenGL 3.3 functionality across all of AMD's discrete graphics products - ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards - released since the spring of 2007
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Use Meerkat to stream live video footage from your GoPro
- Hackers hijacking your webcam and finding ways to profit from it
- Fly a drone near the fire? County offering cash reward to find you
- Man using drone to perv has it shot down by Kentucky man with shotgun
- TechPowerUp pushes updated GPU-Z v0.8.5
- Buffalo MiniStation Extreme NFC 1TB External HDD Review
- P67A-UD4-B3 Windows 10
- On Z97 Anniversary: No networking devices supported by Windows 10?
- Addonics AD2U31PX2 USB 3.1 2-Port PCIe 2X Add-On Card Review
- GA-Z87X-UD4H - System Crash During AppCenter Update. Am I Hosed?
- Innodata Reports Second Quarter 2015 Results
- MSI Launches Lean, Mean Gaming Machine, the Nightblade MI
- ADATA Launches the HD720 Rugged External Hard Drive
- Sharkoon Announces QuickPort XT Duo Clone and QuickPort XT HC Drive Docks
- Nexon and Electronic Arts to Bring PC Online Titanfal Experience to Asia