AMD First with Top-to-Bottom OpenGLR 4.0 and 3.3 Support on WindowsR and Linux Platforms
- AMD continues its commitment to OpenGL community with wide-ranging driver support across ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards -
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -4/5/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today continued its proud tradition of driver firsts, announcing widespread support of the recently-published OpenGL® versions for Windows® 7, Windows® Vista, Windows® XP, and Linux® across select ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards. OpenGL® 4.0 is now supported on ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series graphics cards, and OpenGL® 3.3 is supported by all discrete graphics products from AMD - both consumer and professional graphics - released since the spring of 2007. The new functionality is made possible by a beta driver, available on the AMD website.
"AMD's ability to support OpenGL 4.0 and OpenGL 3.3 almost immediately after the release of their specifications is an incredible feat on the part of our OpenGL software team, and speaks volumes to the commitment and continued support for the many developers utilizing OpenGL," said Ben Bar-Haim, general manager, AMD Canada and corporate vice president, Software Engineering, AMD. "As a company that believes in and encourages open industry standards, maintaining OpenGL as a strong and viable graphics API is very important to AMD."
AMD's beta driver for OpenGL 4.0 and 3.3 includes:
- Full compatibility with the OpenGL 4.0 standard on AMD's most recent graphics products, the ATI Radeon HD 5900, HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 5600, HD 5500 and HD 5400 series:
* Offloading of geometry tessellation from the CPU to the GPU, for a more flexible and productive workflow
* On the ATI Radeon HD 5800 and HD 5900 series graphics cards, double precision processing, designed to enable more accurate modeling and higher quality rendering, applicable to both consumer and workstation uses1
* Seamless interoperability between OpenGL and OpenCL, or other external APIs
- Support for OpenGL 3.3 functionality across all of AMD's discrete graphics products - ATI Radeon, ATI FirePro and ATI FireGL graphics cards - released since the spring of 2007
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda hesitant on offers for Fallout or Elder Scrolls movies
- You can legally listen to AC/DC, now on Spotify, Rdio, Apple Music
- Another researcher shares concerns with artificial intelligence
- Spotify under fire for 'silly' free streaming model by Rdio executive
- 21 million people tuned in to watch E3 using Twitch, company says
- BIOS Disk Boot Option settings don't hold (GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK)
- ASUS Z97 Pro-Gamer MB. M2 mounting point.
- Tt eSPORTS Isurus Pro In-Ear Gaming Headset Review
- cloning os to MZHPV256HDGL-00000
- GA-Z97X Gaming 5 + Intel QDE4
- Marble Monster is intensively addicting and action packed!
- ROCCAT Announces Taito Control Gaming Mousepad
- Lite-On Introduces Low Latency M.2 PCIe SSDs for Cloud Vendors
- Ozone Gaming Announces ORIGEN Mousepad
- PNY Launches the Mini HP v160 USB 2.0 Flash Drive