AMD Sets the New Standard for Price, Performance, and Power for the Datacenter
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform with Direct Connect Architecture 2.0 delivers more cores, more memory for less money1
Up to 119 percent improved performance while maintaining low price and power2
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -3/29/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announces availability of a new server platform featuring the world's first 8- and 12-core x86 processor for the high-volume 2P and value 4P server market. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform addresses the unmistakable needs of server customers today - workload-specific performance, power efficiency, and overall value - while delivering more cores and more memory for less money.3 Leading OEMs including HP, Dell, Acer Group, Cray, and SGI are introducing new systems based on this highly scalable and reliable platform.
"As AMD has done before, we are again redefining the server market based on current customer requirements," said Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Divisions, AMD. "The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform signals a new era of server value, significantly disrupts today's server economics and provides the performance-per-watt, value and consistency customers demand for their real-world data center workloads."
The new AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform features include:
- The industry's only 8- and 12-core server processors performing at up to two times the level of AMD's previous generation 6-core processors, including an 88 percent increase in integer performance4 and a 119 percent increase in floating point performance2.
- Enhanced integrated memory controller supporting four channels of DDR3 memory for up to a 2.5x improvement in overall memory bandwidth.5
- Thirty-three percent more memory channels per processor than competitive 2P solutions.6
- 50% higher DIMM capacity compared to previous generations, with up to 12 per processor, increasing the available memory overall and improving virtualization, database and HPC applications.
- AMD 5600 Series chipset with I/O virtualization capability, HyperTransport 3.0 technology and PCI Express® 2.0.
- Removal of the "4P tax", since the same processors can be used in both 2P and 4P designs, and 4P-capable processors are now the same price as 2P-capable processors, bringing greatly improved value to the 4P space.
- Unprecedented price/performance. In a comparison between a best-performing 2P competitive platform versus a similar best-performing 4P AMD-based platform, customers can recognize up to double the performance and more than 10% lower total processor price.7
- Significant new power management features including a C1E power state to conserve energy when idle, the Advanced Platform Management Link allowing APML-enabled platforms to be remotely monitored for power and cooling, and AMD CoolSpeed technology, which automatically reduces p-states if a specified temperature limit is exceeded.
- A wide range of power and performance options with no compromise on the available feature sets.
- A legacy of consistency and stability. The new AMD Opteron platform is chipset- and socket- compatible between 2P and 4P and will be compatible with the planned processors based on the next-generation AMD server processor core, code-named "Bulldozer".
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Raspberry Pi Zero is a $5 programmable computer
- ASUS celebrates 20 years of making GPUs with GTX 980 Ti Golden Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront PC player count is poor, dominated by Fallout 4
- AMD rumored to launch its dual-GPU next month, the Radeon R9 Fury X2
- India's Cochin International airport runs 100% on solar power
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family