AMD Sets the New Standard for Price, Performance, and Power for the Datacenter
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform with Direct Connect Architecture 2.0 delivers more cores, more memory for less money1
Up to 119 percent improved performance while maintaining low price and power2
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -3/29/2010
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announces availability of a new server platform featuring the world's first 8- and 12-core x86 processor for the high-volume 2P and value 4P server market. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform addresses the unmistakable needs of server customers today - workload-specific performance, power efficiency, and overall value - while delivering more cores and more memory for less money.3 Leading OEMs including HP, Dell, Acer Group, Cray, and SGI are introducing new systems based on this highly scalable and reliable platform.
"As AMD has done before, we are again redefining the server market based on current customer requirements," said Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Divisions, AMD. "The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform signals a new era of server value, significantly disrupts today's server economics and provides the performance-per-watt, value and consistency customers demand for their real-world data center workloads."
The new AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform features include:
- The industry's only 8- and 12-core server processors performing at up to two times the level of AMD's previous generation 6-core processors, including an 88 percent increase in integer performance4 and a 119 percent increase in floating point performance2.
- Enhanced integrated memory controller supporting four channels of DDR3 memory for up to a 2.5x improvement in overall memory bandwidth.5
- Thirty-three percent more memory channels per processor than competitive 2P solutions.6
- 50% higher DIMM capacity compared to previous generations, with up to 12 per processor, increasing the available memory overall and improving virtualization, database and HPC applications.
- AMD 5600 Series chipset with I/O virtualization capability, HyperTransport 3.0 technology and PCI Express® 2.0.
- Removal of the "4P tax", since the same processors can be used in both 2P and 4P designs, and 4P-capable processors are now the same price as 2P-capable processors, bringing greatly improved value to the 4P space.
- Unprecedented price/performance. In a comparison between a best-performing 2P competitive platform versus a similar best-performing 4P AMD-based platform, customers can recognize up to double the performance and more than 10% lower total processor price.7
- Significant new power management features including a C1E power state to conserve energy when idle, the Advanced Platform Management Link allowing APML-enabled platforms to be remotely monitored for power and cooling, and AMD CoolSpeed technology, which automatically reduces p-states if a specified temperature limit is exceeded.
- A wide range of power and performance options with no compromise on the available feature sets.
- A legacy of consistency and stability. The new AMD Opteron platform is chipset- and socket- compatible between 2P and 4P and will be compatible with the planned processors based on the next-generation AMD server processor core, code-named "Bulldozer".
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft now has over 30 million players
- Consumers aren't sure if they should trust mobile payments just yet
- Intel's upcoming Core i7-6700K will replace the flagship i7-4790K
- Garena aquires Heroes of Newerth from S2 Games as Frostburn Studios
- Killzone: Shadow Fall lawsuit over 1080p marketing dismissed in court
- SSD on GA-P55A-UD3
- Is it possible to upgrade Gigabyte bios setup GUI?
- Patriot Memory Ignite M2 480GB SATA III M.2 SSD Review
- Asus RT-N56U disconnecting every hour
- Supermicro X10DRX (Intel C612) Server Motherboard Review
- COUGAR QBX Gaming Case Receives Prestigious Award, Settles Console vs PC Debate
- Intel Announces Xeon E7 v3 Series Processors
- Western Digital Board Declares Dividend For Fourth Quarter Of Fiscal 2015
- Frostburn Studios is the New Game Developer for Heroes of Newerth
- Tomorrow, the Bungie team will continue to roll out information for the upcoming Destiny Expansion II: House of Wolves