PC industry Applauds Newly Introduced NVIDIA Optimus Technology for Notebook Computers
NVIDIA Optimus Delivers Great Performance, Great Battery Life, and Simply Works
SANTA CLARA, Calif.-Feb. 9, 2010- The computer industry came out in mass support for the new NVIDIA® Optimus technology announced today. NVIDIA® Optimus is a breakthrough technology for notebook PCs that chooses the best graphics processor for running a given application and automatically routes the workload to either an NVIDIA discrete GPU or Intel integrated graphics - delivering great battery life and great performance when you need it.
Just as a Hybrid car chooses the most appropriate engine between the gas-powered and electric engine on-the-fly, NVIDIA Optimus does the same thing for graphics processors in notebook computers.
For the notebook user, NVIDIA Optimus Technology is automatic, seamless, and instantaneous.
Notebooks equipped with Optimus Technology can last up to 2 timesi longer on a battery charge than notebooks with standard discrete graphics without Optimus technology.
NVIDIA Optimus technology is available only on notebooks with NVIDIA GPUs.
Notebooks with NVIDIA Optimus technology will be available shortly, starting with the Asus UL50Vf, N61Jv, N71Jv, N82Jv, and U30Jc notebooks
"NVIDIA Optimus is a game changer for the notebook PC industry. It intelligently and seamlessly manages graphics performance while extending battery life to provide the best notebook PC experience."
- Dr. Jon Peddie, President of Jon Peddie Research, a pioneer of the graphics industry and a leading analyst
"NVIDIA Optimus is designed to work in ways consumers expect hardware and software to work together, it's simple and seamless. We worked closely with NVIDIA to enable Adobe Flash Player 10.1 to take advantage of GPU acceleration whenever possible. As a result, consumers get the benefit of maximum battery life and the best multimedia experience when browsing the web."
- David Wadhwani, general manager & vice president, Platform Business Unit, Adobe, which is redefining business, entertainment and personal communications by setting new standards for producing and delivering content
"Optimus is switchable graphics done right. No toggles, no reboots, no thinking. Finally, there is an optimized notebook solution that painlessly gives notebook users both the performance they want and the battery life they need."
- Rob Enderle, President and Principal Analyst of the Enderle Group, one of the most influential technology pundits in the world
"Cyberlink is moving more and more video processing to the graphics processor, reducing CPU utilization and completing tasks faster so that the system returns to a low power state sooner. NVIDIA Optimus technology optimizes your overall notebook battery life while maintaining the outstanding graphics performance you expect, whether you're watching an HD movie with PowerDVD, editing videos with PowerDirector, or simply surfing the web."
- Alice Chang, CEO of Cyberlink, a world leader in the field of digital entertainment and multimedia solutions
"Switchable graphics is a great idea in theory, but in practice people rarely switch between integrated and discrete GPUs. The process is just too cumbersome and confusing. Some buyers wonder why their performance is so poor when they think the discrete GPU is active, but, unknown to them, it isn't. Optimus fixes what is broken with switchable graphics."
- Roger Kay, president of Endpoint Technologies Associates, one of the computer industry's best-known market intelligence analysts
"We are pleased that NVIDIA continues to innovate for Windows 7 users," said Mike Angiulo, general manager of Windows planning and PC ecosystem at Microsoft Corp."With Optimus, NVIDIA is balancing the performance needed for graphics intensive applications and the battery life advantages of integrated graphics, with minimum effort from the user."
- Mike Angiulo, general manager of Windows planning and PC ecosystem at Microsoft Corp, the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions
"NVIDIA Optimus technology is raising the bar on notebook gaming. This new technology beautifully bridges the gap that has always existed between the performance a gamer wants for playing Borderlands or Brothers in Arms and the battery life that has always been missing from a gaming capable laptop. Gearbox Software is excited for this latest innovation."
- Sean Cavanaugh, lead graphics programmer for Gearbox Software, an award-winning independent developer of interactive entertainment
"We are all hands-on-deck to bring this innovative new technology into the consumer market. NVIDIA Optimus is a unique approach that solves the problem of users having to choose between systems and graphics performance versus extended battery life. ASUS' powerful multimedia N series and the thin and light UL series notebooks will adopt this new technology, and in doing so provide our users with powerful multimedia enjoyment at home or on-the-go."
- P.C. Wang, Corporate Vice President & General Manager, Notebook Business Unit System Business Group of ASUS
Useful Links / Videos:
[NVIDIA Optimus overview video]
[Blog post by one of the inventers of NVIDIA Optimus technology]
[News Release for NVIDIA Optimus technology]
[NVIDIA Optimus information on NVIDIA.com]
[News Release for the first NVIDIA Optimus-enable notebooks, the Asus UL50Vf and Asus N series]
NVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA) awakened the world to the power of computer graphics when it invented the graphics processing unit (GPU) in 1999. Since then, it has consistently set new standards in visual computing with breathtaking, interactive graphics available on devices ranging from portable media players to notebooks to workstations. NVIDIA's expertise in programmable GPUs has led to breakthroughs in parallel processing which make supercomputing inexpensive and widely accessible. Fortune magazine has ranked NVIDIA #1 in innovation in the semiconductor industry for two years in a row. For more information, see http://www.nvidia.com.
Latest News Posts
- Free-to-play MMORPG Tera proves to be extremely popular on Steam
- View the heartfelt 'Batkid Begins' documentary trailer
- Microsoft continues to add Windows 10 Xbox app functionality
- Save 50% on the Ergonomic M535 Wireless Optical Mouse
- iOS 9 might finally give real multitasking abilities to the iPad
- ASUS GeForce GTX 980 ROG Matrix Platinum Video Card Review
- be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler Review
- I have an AsRock330, how upgradeable?
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III M.2 SSD Review
- Help with defective case
- Razer Introduces the Firefly Gaming Mousepad with Customizable Lighting FX
- MSI First Motherboard Brand to be Windows 10 Certified
- EK Releases New Supremacy EVO X99 LGA2011v3 Water Block
- Tech Source Releases Condor 4000 3U VPX Graphics Card for GPGPU Applications
- Anidees AI6 v2 Chassis Starts Selling