AMD Accelerates Flash Player 10.1 with ATI Stream Technology
World's most pervasive multimedia platform delivers impressive video quality and advanced application performance on platforms powered by Vision Technology from AMD
Sunnyvale, Calif. --11/17/2009
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced that the beta Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 beta released today supports platforms powered by Vision Technology from AMD to deliver high-quality, high definition (HD) on Flash platform -based video and other rich Web based content and applications. Flash Player 10.1 leverages ATI Stream technology and a balanced approach using both AMD CPUs and GPUs for an amazing experience, including improved video playback, reduced CPU utilization and extended battery life.
Flash Player 10.1 targets the standard DXVA APIs in Windows to take advantage of available hardware acceleration from supported AMD products running the appropriate ATI Catalyst driver on Windows-based PCs1. AMD worked closely with Adobe to leverage the DirectX application programming interface and ATI Stream technology to decode H.264 video with the GPU.
"AMD and Adobe have collaborated to enable ATI Stream technology through Adobe Flash Player 10.1 to help end users more easily experience , create and share their visual media," said Rick Bergman, senior vice president of AMD's Products Group. "Adobe Flash Player is one of the world's most pervasive multimedia platforms and the number one video platform on the web today. By taking advantage of both the CPU and GPU resources available on AMD platforms, the new player delivers video that looks and performs better than ever before."
"AMD has been at the forefront of utilizing both the CPU and GPU on x86-based platforms to improve the performance of popular runtimes like the new Adobe Flash Player 10.1," said David Wadhwani, general manager and vice president, Platform Business Unit at Adobe. "Consumers will be able to enjoy a smooth viewing experience when accessing rich, HD video content built with the Adobe Flash Platform on AMD based Windows PCs."
The collaboration with Adobe is another milestone for AMD and it's new identity in retail and e-tail environments called VISION, that focuses on enabling a rich PC experience for consumers through AMD platforms, including vivid HD and Blu-ray video playback, life-like 3D games, brilliant, clear photos, and multi-tasking power for editing photos, music and videos. 2,3 In June 2009, AMD and Adobe announced a beta plug-in for Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS4 that dramatically enhances the performance on a range of complex video editing tasks.4
Developers can download the beta version of Flash Player 10.1 for preview from Adobe's web site today. Flash Player 10.1 is expected to be generally available from Adobe in the first half of 2010. Abode Flash 10.1 will be accelerated on notebook and desktop platforms that featuring AMD graphics, including:
ATI Radeon HD 4000, HD 5700 and HD 5800 series graphics
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4000 series graphics (and higher)
ATI Radeon HD 3000 integrated graphics (and higher)
ATI FirePro V3750, V5700, V7750, V8700 and V8750 graphics accelerators (and later)
Download the Flash Player 10.1 beta
Check out new blog post on Flash Player 10.1 acceleration from Nigel Dessau, CMO, AMD
See For Yourself Video
More information about ATI Stream technology
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Overwatch is now home to over 30 million gamers
- Nintendo sold 2.3 million NES Mini consoles
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- H97M Pro4 - Machine comes out of sleep mode when deactivated but monitor does not
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives