Garmin® Announces the AIS 600 for Vessel Tracking and Collision Avoidance
OLATHE, Kan./November 16, 2009/Business Wire - Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today the AIS 600 - the company's first transceiver that allows boaters to receive and transmit Automatic Identification System (AIS) data, giving mariners a new way to identify and avoid other large sea vessels at long range in virtually any visibility.
"Small boaters and yachtsman alike will benefit from the safety and security the AIS 600 provides," said Dan Bartel, Garmin's vice president of worldwide sales. "With the AIS 600, mariners can rest assured knowing that they have visibility of the boat traffic around them and that they can be seen by other vessels while navigating through busy waterways."
The AIS 600 receives both Class A and Class B signals simultaneously, ensuring that no critical information is lost. In addition, the AIS 600 features a unique built-in Active splitter with ClearTrack technology that eliminates the need for two VHF antennas - giving you more space and making installation easy without the need for additional hardware. The active splitter ensures that all VHF and AIS communications are sent and received with minimal signal loss or interruption, while ClearTrack ensures no interruption of the AIS traffic position transmission, even when the VHF radio is in use. Garmin is the first manufacturer to bring the unique ClearTrack technology to the AIS market.
The new black box AIS 600 transceiver is NMEA 2000 certified and can be easily integrated into the Garmin marine lineup. Once installed, the AIS 600 is controlled via the chartplotter display and provides detailed information like ship identification data, position, course and speed for vessels equipped with an AIS transmitter within range right at your fingertips. Users can make the AIS target's position appear on their electronic chart for a variety of ranges. In addition, when integrated with a Garmin chartplotter and VHF radio via NMEA 2000, users can initiate a call to any MMSI target directly from the chartplotter by selecting the "call with radio" function. Boaters may also activate the AIS target which will draw a heading line from the target in the direction of travel, as well as graphic representation of turn direction and rate of turn.
The AIS 600 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $1399.99 and will be available in January 2010. For more information on this and other products in Garmin's marine line up, visit http://www.garmin.com.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation. Since 1989, this group of companies has designed, manufactured, marketed and sold navigation, communication and information devices and applications - most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin's products serve automotive, mobile, wireless, outdoor recreation, marine, aviation, and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at http://www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin is a registered trademark and ClearTrack is a trademark of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
Latest News Posts
- Blade Runner meets Fallout 4 in this amazing settlement creation
- Resident Evil 7 isn't a reboot, you play a powerless, ordinary person
- KFC's new meal box charges your smartphone with its built-in battery
- Join the 'Gods of Egypt' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway!
- Four-part Mass Effect book series links original trilogy to Andromeda
- Why does my Monitor show static and lines occasionally when using 144hz?
- Considering a DK-04 when they come in stock, just have a few questions beforehand.
- Skylake Overclocking i7 6700k help please
- X170 EXTREME ECC Build
- GA-Z77-UD5H and W10 Sata Port Recognition?
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines