LSI 6Gb/s SAS MegaRAID Products Enable New Levels of RAID Performance for IBM System x Servers
Next-generation IBM ServeRAID controllers powered by LSI 6Gb/s SAS technology achieve greater throughput for mission-critical applications
MILPITAS, Calif., November 3, 2009 - LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) today announced its 6Gb/s SAS MegaRAID® products are shipping on two new IBM System x servers, enabling new levels of server storage performance, reliability and scalability. The IBM rack-mount servers, with integrated LSI 6Gb/s SAS technology, provide end customers with cost-effective solutions for Web serving, e-business, collaboration, distributed database, SAP deployments and virtualization.
The LSITM 6Gb/s SAS MegaRAID products demonstrated a 190 percent throughput improvement for RAID 5 writes and a 240 percent throughput improvement for RAID 6 writes compared to products based on 3Gb/s SAS technology, translating to significant system performance gains.
"Our collaboration with LSI allows us to deliver robust, first-to-market storage solutions that improve performance, IT efficiency and data protection for our customers," said Bob Galush, vice president, IBM Systems & Technology Group. "IBM selected LSI as our 6Gb RAID supplier based on their market segment leadership."
The LSISAS2108 6Gb/s SAS RAID-on-Chip (ROC) and MegaRAID software are integrated into IBM ServeRAIDTM controllers found in IBM Systems x3650 M2 and x3550 model servers. The ServeRAID controllers, which are designed for inside-the-box connectivity, feature eight internal 6Gb/s SAS ports and support both SAS and SATA hard disk drives. An additional level of data security is available by using LSI SafeStoreTM encryption services with self-encrypting drives (SED).
The ServeRAID controllers provide high-performance RAID 6 support to protect against data loss in the event of dual-drive failures. The controllers also feature LSI MegaRAID Storage ManagerTM software, for quick and easy access to disk encryption and RAID setup and management, as well as an intelligent battery backup unit that provides extremely accurate battery capacity monitoring.
"LSI has collaborated with IBM to provide market-leading storage technologies and software management solutions," said Kelly Bryant, DAS RAID business line director, Engenio Storage Group, LSI. "LSI SAS and MegaRAID technology provide the performance, scalability and data protection that IBM System x Server customers require to achieve the best return on their IT investments."
Since the inception of SAS, LSI has delivered an industry-leading portfolio of products including controller ICs, expanders, host bus and MegaRAID adapters, RAID-on-Motherboard (ROMB) solutions and storage systems. Based on a 25-year track record of hardware and firmware expertise and extensive validation processes, LSI is the silicon-to-systems supplier of choice for OEMs that want to deliver a broad set of storage solutions.
LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) is a leading provider of innovative silicon, systems and software technologies that enable products, which seamlessly bring people, information and digital content together. The company offers a broad portfolio of capabilities and services including custom and standard product ICs, adapters, systems and software that are trusted by the world's best known brands to power leading solutions in the Storage and Networking markets. More information is available at http://www.lsi.com.
Latest News Posts
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Project CARS 2 latest screenshots look amazing
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications