LSI 6Gb/s SAS MegaRAID Products Enable New Levels of RAID Performance for IBM System x Servers
Next-generation IBM ServeRAID controllers powered by LSI 6Gb/s SAS technology achieve greater throughput for mission-critical applications
MILPITAS, Calif., November 3, 2009 - LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) today announced its 6Gb/s SAS MegaRAID® products are shipping on two new IBM System x servers, enabling new levels of server storage performance, reliability and scalability. The IBM rack-mount servers, with integrated LSI 6Gb/s SAS technology, provide end customers with cost-effective solutions for Web serving, e-business, collaboration, distributed database, SAP deployments and virtualization.
The LSITM 6Gb/s SAS MegaRAID products demonstrated a 190 percent throughput improvement for RAID 5 writes and a 240 percent throughput improvement for RAID 6 writes compared to products based on 3Gb/s SAS technology, translating to significant system performance gains.
"Our collaboration with LSI allows us to deliver robust, first-to-market storage solutions that improve performance, IT efficiency and data protection for our customers," said Bob Galush, vice president, IBM Systems & Technology Group. "IBM selected LSI as our 6Gb RAID supplier based on their market segment leadership."
The LSISAS2108 6Gb/s SAS RAID-on-Chip (ROC) and MegaRAID software are integrated into IBM ServeRAIDTM controllers found in IBM Systems x3650 M2 and x3550 model servers. The ServeRAID controllers, which are designed for inside-the-box connectivity, feature eight internal 6Gb/s SAS ports and support both SAS and SATA hard disk drives. An additional level of data security is available by using LSI SafeStoreTM encryption services with self-encrypting drives (SED).
The ServeRAID controllers provide high-performance RAID 6 support to protect against data loss in the event of dual-drive failures. The controllers also feature LSI MegaRAID Storage ManagerTM software, for quick and easy access to disk encryption and RAID setup and management, as well as an intelligent battery backup unit that provides extremely accurate battery capacity monitoring.
"LSI has collaborated with IBM to provide market-leading storage technologies and software management solutions," said Kelly Bryant, DAS RAID business line director, Engenio Storage Group, LSI. "LSI SAS and MegaRAID technology provide the performance, scalability and data protection that IBM System x Server customers require to achieve the best return on their IT investments."
Since the inception of SAS, LSI has delivered an industry-leading portfolio of products including controller ICs, expanders, host bus and MegaRAID adapters, RAID-on-Motherboard (ROMB) solutions and storage systems. Based on a 25-year track record of hardware and firmware expertise and extensive validation processes, LSI is the silicon-to-systems supplier of choice for OEMs that want to deliver a broad set of storage solutions.
LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) is a leading provider of innovative silicon, systems and software technologies that enable products, which seamlessly bring people, information and digital content together. The company offers a broad portfolio of capabilities and services including custom and standard product ICs, adapters, systems and software that are trusted by the world's best known brands to power leading solutions in the Storage and Networking markets. More information is available at http://www.lsi.com.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding analysis: breaking down the bizarre
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ultimate coming to PS4 later today
- The Last of Us 2 announced
- Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite announced, coming in 2017
- New Uncharted: The Lost Legacy announced
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset