New HP Mini Netbook Delivers A Big Visual Experience with NVIDIA ION
HP Mini 311 to Ship with CUDA-accelerated Video Upscaling Application SimHD
The HP Mini 311 with NVIDIA ION delivers amazing performance in a lightweight, affordable netbook.
SANTA CLARA, Calif.-Sept. 15, 2009-NVIDIA and HP shook up the PC market today with the introduction of a new 11.6-inch netbook that delivers many of the capabilities of a full-sized notebook. The HP Mini 311 takes advantage of NVIDIA® ION® graphics to deliver a big visual experience with HD video, accelerated video editing, and support for casual gaming in a small, sleek package.
NVIDIA ION is a small but powerful graphics processing unit (GPU) that works together with a low-power CPU to generate exceptional performance for compact, energy-efficient systems. By processing data-intensive applications in parallel with the CPU, ION-based netbooks offer many of the same capabilities of full-sized notebooks including support for all versions of Microsoft Windows. ION's highly-integrated, energy-saving design delivers the extended battery life mobile customers demand.
Tim Bajarin, principal analyst at Creative Strategies, Inc. said, "Our research shows that most people who buy a netbook expect it to behave like a full-sized notebook, but that has not been the case. With ION-based netbooks like this one from HP, consumers can expect a well-rounded experience and the ability to handle nearly all of their everyday computing needs."
"This is another example how good graphics can transform an entire category of products," said Jeff Fisher, senior vice president of the GPU business unit at NVIDIA. "Where last month netbooks were considered inadequate, this month HP delivers an amazing product with support for HD movies, games, video editing, and more. Why couldn't netbooks do this before? They lacked good graphics."
The Mini 311 ships with Windows XP and features an 11.6-inch diagonal LED display available in high-definition 1366 x 768 resolution. It includes HDMI and VGA video connectors to output video up to 1080p onto a larger screen like an HDTV. The Mini also includes ArcSoft SimHD, which instantly converts most standard-definition video to near high-definition quality. SimHD uses the NVIDIA® CUDA parallel computing architecture present on NVIDIA GPUs to perform this upscaling faster than on a CPU.
In addition to the HP Mini 311, more than 50 other ION-based products are scheduled for release this year. ION graphics deliver a premium experience in small, low-powered PCs with support for:
All versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7
Outstanding HD video including 1080p
Battery life that is comparable with other netbooks
Stunning HD video through an external monitor via HDMI
Mainstream games including Spore, Ice Age, and Wall-E
Hardware acceleration for NVIDIA® CUDA-based applications such as vReveal, Badaboom, SimHD plug-in for Total Media Theater, and Super LoiLoScope
24-bit 8-channel LPCM uncompressed audio through HDMI
For more information about the HP Mini 311, please go to: http://www.hp.com.
NVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA) awakened the world to the power of computer graphics when it invented the graphics processing unit (GPU) in 1999. Since then, it has consistently set new standards in visual computing with breathtaking, interactive graphics available on devices ranging from portable media players to notebooks to workstations. NVIDIA's expertise in programmable GPUs has led to breakthroughs in parallel processing which make supercomputing inexpensive and widely accessible. Fortune magazine has ranked NVIDIA #1 in innovation in the semiconductor industry for two years in a row. For more information, see http://www.nvidia.com.
Latest News Posts
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset