GLOBALFOUNDRIES Appoints Vice President of Marketing
Industry veteran brings proven foundry leadership experience and extensive background in high-tech sales and marketing
SUNNYVALE, CA - September 10, 2009 - GLOBALFOUNDRIES today announced the appointment of Jim Ballingall as vice president of marketing. In this role, Ballingall will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing solutions and strategies to support the growth of GLOBALFOUNDRIES as it aims to reshape the landscape of the foundry industry.
"The core of the GLOBALFOUNDRIES brand comprises the sum of the unique value propositions that we create, promise, and deliver to our customers," said Jim Kupec, senior vice president of sales and marketing at GLOBALFOUNDRIES. "As we strive to deliver on our vision and become the world's first truly global foundry, Jim's proven foundry industry leadership and experience will help us develop and convey our unique value propositions to customers and stakeholders and position the company for optimal success, as we unlock our customers' potential to innovate and win."
Ballingall will be charged with creating a best-in-class foundry marketing organization and further growing the GLOBALFOUNDRIES brand and market share through offerings that are highly differentiated and leverage the company's unique strengths.
"As a new player in the foundry industry, GLOBALFOUNDRIES jumped on the scene this year with a unique and refreshing vision, plus a leadership position in time-to-volume, defect density, and leakage current control for the most advanced technologies. GLOBALFOUNDRIES is further differentiated by a design enablement model of in-depth collaboration at the design-process interface, simply unheard of in the foundry industry, to optimize our customers' product performance and yields at advanced technology nodes," Ballingall said. "GLOBALFOUNDRIES sets more than a new standard; we are initiating a new era in the foundry industry."
Prior to joining GLOBALFOUNDRIES, Ballingall was president of Ballingall Consulting, where he provided brand and marketing strategies, supply chain, and value building expertise to semiconductor and high-tech companies. Before that, as CEO, president and chairman of GetSilicon, he led a venture-backed semiconductor outsourced manufacturing solutions company before it successfully merged with E2open, a leading provider of solutions for supply chain and demand chain. Ballingall also has held strategic leadership positions at Marvell, UMC, Novellus and GE. Notably, while leading worldwide marketing at UMC, the foundry grew from a distant second place in market share to near parity with the market leader TSMC as its revenue soared four-fold to $3.2B.
Ballingall holds a bachelor's in engineering physics from the University of California, Berkeley, and both a master's and doctorate in applied physics from Cornell University.
GLOBALFOUNDRIES is the world's first truly global leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing company. Launched in March 2009 through a partnership between AMD [NYSE: AMD] and the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC), GLOBALFOUNDRIES provides a unique combination of leading-edge technology, manufacturing excellence and global operations. GLOBALFOUNDRIES is headquartered in Silicon Valley with facilities in Austin, Dresden and New York.
Latest News Posts
- Tesla's Chatbot Elon will help you manage your car
- How Mario Rabbids crossover is a big missed opportunity
- Battlegrounds' new patch: Early Access beats AAA games
- Corsair's Commander Pro controls all case fans, lighting
- Google's 4K digital whiteboard available for $5000
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning