Corsair Labs shows why a quality CPU Cooler is essential for Core i7 PCs using performance DDR3 memory
Corsair Labs recently conducted testing to determine whether the use of high-performance DDR3 memory for Core i7 platforms also requires the use of more effective CPU cooling products.
The results clearly show that using high-performance memory results in increased CPU temperatures, due to the higher CPU VTT voltages and Uncore clock speeds required by the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) in the Core i7 processor. The average load temperature of a Core i7-920 processor cooled by the Intel HSF (heatsink and fan) was 11°C higher when utilizing 2000MHz C8 Dominator GT memory compared to 1333MHz DDR3 memory. The same PC cooled using the Corsair H50 CPU Cooler maintained average CPU core temperatures up to 24°C lower than the stock Intel HSF, and was able to stably cool an overclocked CPU while also maintaining a 2000MHz DDR3 memory frequency.
Standard CPU cooling solutions are inadequate for effectively cooling a Core i7-based PC using memory at frequencies above 1600MHz. Using high-performance memory running at 1866MHz or above (set by the XMP profile), the stock Intel Cooler was unable to stably cool the test PC, resulting in system crashes (BSODs) or processing errors.
Enthusiasts who are looking to overclock Core i7 processors while maximising memory performance will therefore need to remove the additional heat generated due to high-performance memory and CPU overclocking by using a high-performance CPU cooling solution.
Latest News Posts
- Choose a side in our 'Captain America' Blu-ray giveaway
- UK retailer offers HTC Vive headset on monthly payments
- PS4 Slim supports 5GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Rovio developing 'Angry Birds Movie' sequel
- KFC denies leak of 11 secret herbs and spices recipe
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not posting - error 69, 72, ......
- Memory Slot Issue - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 memory question?
- were is the 1394 label
- GB's z170x G7's audio compared to G1's
- HyperX introduces new ALLOY gaming keyboard
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop