Corsair Labs shows why a quality CPU Cooler is essential for Core i7 PCs using performance DDR3 memory
Corsair Labs recently conducted testing to determine whether the use of high-performance DDR3 memory for Core i7 platforms also requires the use of more effective CPU cooling products.
The results clearly show that using high-performance memory results in increased CPU temperatures, due to the higher CPU VTT voltages and Uncore clock speeds required by the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) in the Core i7 processor. The average load temperature of a Core i7-920 processor cooled by the Intel HSF (heatsink and fan) was 11°C higher when utilizing 2000MHz C8 Dominator GT memory compared to 1333MHz DDR3 memory. The same PC cooled using the Corsair H50 CPU Cooler maintained average CPU core temperatures up to 24°C lower than the stock Intel HSF, and was able to stably cool an overclocked CPU while also maintaining a 2000MHz DDR3 memory frequency.
Standard CPU cooling solutions are inadequate for effectively cooling a Core i7-based PC using memory at frequencies above 1600MHz. Using high-performance memory running at 1866MHz or above (set by the XMP profile), the stock Intel Cooler was unable to stably cool the test PC, resulting in system crashes (BSODs) or processing errors.
Enthusiasts who are looking to overclock Core i7 processors while maximising memory performance will therefore need to remove the additional heat generated due to high-performance memory and CPU overclocking by using a high-performance CPU cooling solution.
Latest News Posts
- Batman VR is finalised but Rocksteady wants to move on
- Pasadena, California to tax streaming services
- New scoop on latest Destiny DLC 'Days of Iron' amour
- Boost your resume with two in-demand tech certifications
- Nintendo NX handheld hybrid GPU CPU upgrade attachment
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now