AMD Joins GLOBALFOUNDRIES to Break Ground on Industry-Leading Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in Upstate New York
$4.2 billion state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility expected to create up to 6,400 new jobs and provide foundation for building AMD's future technology innovations - Sen. Schumer, U.S. Rep. Murphy and Gov. Paterson participate in event
Malta, N.Y. --7/24/2009
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today joined GLOBALFOUNDRIES and federal, state and local government leaders to mark and celebrate the official start of construction of Fab 2, a state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility at the Luther Forest Technology Campus (LFTC) in Upstate New York. Representing the largest public-private sector industrial investment in New York State history, the project is expected to be the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing facility in the world when it begins production, currently scheduled for 2012.
"Fab 2 represents the culmination of AMD's multi-year vision to bring a leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing facility to the United States. This is an important opportunity to create thousands of jobs and strengthen U.S. competiveness in the high-tech industry," said Dirk Meyer, president and CEO, AMD. "GLOBALFOUNDRIES is expected to be an ideal technology partner for the entire semiconductor design industry, providing cost-effective access to manufacturing capacity on an unprecedented scale. The multi-billion dollar investments in research and development and capacity expansion that GLOBALFOUNDRIES is planning, strengthen its position as a premier leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing foundry and make it the ideal AMD technology partner to help in bringing our innovative products to market."
GLOBALFOUNDRIES was created as a joint venture by AMD and the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC) on March 2, 2009 and marks the culmination of AMD's Asset Smart strategy.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20