AMD Joins GLOBALFOUNDRIES to Break Ground on Industry-Leading Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in Upstate New York
$4.2 billion state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility expected to create up to 6,400 new jobs and provide foundation for building AMD's future technology innovations - Sen. Schumer, U.S. Rep. Murphy and Gov. Paterson participate in event
Malta, N.Y. --7/24/2009
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today joined GLOBALFOUNDRIES and federal, state and local government leaders to mark and celebrate the official start of construction of Fab 2, a state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility at the Luther Forest Technology Campus (LFTC) in Upstate New York. Representing the largest public-private sector industrial investment in New York State history, the project is expected to be the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing facility in the world when it begins production, currently scheduled for 2012.
"Fab 2 represents the culmination of AMD's multi-year vision to bring a leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing facility to the United States. This is an important opportunity to create thousands of jobs and strengthen U.S. competiveness in the high-tech industry," said Dirk Meyer, president and CEO, AMD. "GLOBALFOUNDRIES is expected to be an ideal technology partner for the entire semiconductor design industry, providing cost-effective access to manufacturing capacity on an unprecedented scale. The multi-billion dollar investments in research and development and capacity expansion that GLOBALFOUNDRIES is planning, strengthen its position as a premier leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing foundry and make it the ideal AMD technology partner to help in bringing our innovative products to market."
GLOBALFOUNDRIES was created as a joint venture by AMD and the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC) on March 2, 2009 and marks the culmination of AMD's Asset Smart strategy.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Sony pulling underhanded tricks to sell $70 games
- Shadow of Mordor sequel optimized for Project Scorpio
- Nintendo Switch will have handheld-only mobile games
- Weekly hardware deals: Jet's extra $30 off GTX 1080
- Samsung introduces Gear VR with Controller
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity