AMD Joins GLOBALFOUNDRIES to Break Ground on Industry-Leading Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in Upstate New York
$4.2 billion state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility expected to create up to 6,400 new jobs and provide foundation for building AMD's future technology innovations - Sen. Schumer, U.S. Rep. Murphy and Gov. Paterson participate in event
Malta, N.Y. --7/24/2009
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today joined GLOBALFOUNDRIES and federal, state and local government leaders to mark and celebrate the official start of construction of Fab 2, a state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility at the Luther Forest Technology Campus (LFTC) in Upstate New York. Representing the largest public-private sector industrial investment in New York State history, the project is expected to be the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing facility in the world when it begins production, currently scheduled for 2012.
"Fab 2 represents the culmination of AMD's multi-year vision to bring a leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing facility to the United States. This is an important opportunity to create thousands of jobs and strengthen U.S. competiveness in the high-tech industry," said Dirk Meyer, president and CEO, AMD. "GLOBALFOUNDRIES is expected to be an ideal technology partner for the entire semiconductor design industry, providing cost-effective access to manufacturing capacity on an unprecedented scale. The multi-billion dollar investments in research and development and capacity expansion that GLOBALFOUNDRIES is planning, strengthen its position as a premier leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing foundry and make it the ideal AMD technology partner to help in bringing our innovative products to market."
GLOBALFOUNDRIES was created as a joint venture by AMD and the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC) on March 2, 2009 and marks the culmination of AMD's Asset Smart strategy.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- NASA says private space efforts to reach Mars will need support
- TSMC aiming for 10nm production next year, followed by 7nm in 2017
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't use Battlelog, has offline singleplayer
- Rockstar fixes login problems with the first patch for GTA V
- Sony Xperia Z4 teased thanks to WikiLeaks' dump of internal Sony docs
- E3C224-V4L not available anywhere?
- Drives showing incorrect free space after installing 32GB of memory
- Memtest sometimes pass, sometimes dont.
- Asrock 990FX Fatality Killer - 2X ASUS R9 290 DIRECT CU2 OC Crossfire Problem
- MB doesn't see M.2 PCI-E SSD
- OWC Viper Pro Thunderbolt External SSD Premieres at NAB 2015
- HP Introduces WS Storage Advancement, Mobile WS and Professional Displays
- NEC Introduces Two New AccuSync LED-backlit Monitors
- BIOSTAR Releases the H81MDC-LSP Motherboard
- HGST Ships NVM Express Compliant Solid-State Drives