AMD Joins GLOBALFOUNDRIES to Break Ground on Industry-Leading Semiconductor Manufacturing Facility in Upstate New York
$4.2 billion state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility expected to create up to 6,400 new jobs and provide foundation for building AMD's future technology innovations - Sen. Schumer, U.S. Rep. Murphy and Gov. Paterson participate in event
Malta, N.Y. --7/24/2009
AMD (NYSE: AMD) today joined GLOBALFOUNDRIES and federal, state and local government leaders to mark and celebrate the official start of construction of Fab 2, a state-of-the-art semiconductor manufacturing facility at the Luther Forest Technology Campus (LFTC) in Upstate New York. Representing the largest public-private sector industrial investment in New York State history, the project is expected to be the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing facility in the world when it begins production, currently scheduled for 2012.
"Fab 2 represents the culmination of AMD's multi-year vision to bring a leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing facility to the United States. This is an important opportunity to create thousands of jobs and strengthen U.S. competiveness in the high-tech industry," said Dirk Meyer, president and CEO, AMD. "GLOBALFOUNDRIES is expected to be an ideal technology partner for the entire semiconductor design industry, providing cost-effective access to manufacturing capacity on an unprecedented scale. The multi-billion dollar investments in research and development and capacity expansion that GLOBALFOUNDRIES is planning, strengthen its position as a premier leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing foundry and make it the ideal AMD technology partner to help in bringing our innovative products to market."
GLOBALFOUNDRIES was created as a joint venture by AMD and the Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC) on March 2, 2009 and marks the culmination of AMD's Asset Smart strategy.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Apple rumored to launch its new 12-inch Retina MacBook Air in Q2 2015
- Sony not worried about the price of its VR headset during development
- Valve confirms it is experimenting around with Half-Life in VR
- Rock Band 4 announced, will hit the Xbox One and PS4 end of this year
- Harrison Ford crash update: Actor "Battered, but fine"
- Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- New Asrock EPC612D4U-2T8R: Xeon 2011 v3 or v2?
- Going into BIOS
- X99 UD3 wont post, will then reboot
- ASRock P67 Transformer
- Razer Makes Razer Chroma SDK Available
- ESL Releases First Mobile App for Events
- ADATA Launches IHSS312 Industrial Half-Slim SSD
- Logitech Announces G303 Daedalus Apex Performance Edition Gaming Mouse
- G.SKILL Announces 2nd Annual "OC World Cup 2015" Overclocking Competition