Synology® Disk Station Manager 2.2 Beta Delivers Virtual File Server Capabilities with iSCSI, DNLA Support, Apple Time Machine® support, iPhone Applications and much more.
Redmond, Washington-July 16th , 2009-Synology America Corp. today announced the release of Disk Station Manager 2.2 Beta which greatly enhances the user experience by introducing DNLA, iSCSCI, iPhone® and Time Machine® support. DSM 2.2 Beta is next generation firmware for Synology Disk Stations adding a built-in firewall, SNMP support and other new features. DSM 2.2 Beta is available as a free download on Synology's website.
"DSM 2.2 enhances the rich multimedia experience on the Synology Disk Station by adding DLNA interoperability and iPhone support", says Doug Self. "We are excited about the upcoming release of our iPhone/iPod Touch applications that will leverage the new features in DSM 2.2 to access photos and media on your Disk Station. With all the digital media and devices that are in the average home or office, we've taken great efforts to make sure that everything works seamlessly together on the Disk Stations across Windows, Mac and Linux." Adds Self.
Mac OSX users will be delighted with new enhancements of DSM 2.2 that now support Apple Time Machine® backup solution to use the Synology Disk Stations as a backup target and iTunes Server now supports video playback.
"The ability to create virtual file servers and virtual storage is an important feature of growing and managing your data" says Franklin Hua, technical product specialists at Synology America Corp. "This is why we have introduced iSCSI support with DSM 2.2. Our Disk Stations will now be able to support up to 10 iSCSI targets on a single Disk Station offering a huge variety of configurations for virtual file management." Adds Hua.
Additional features include auto-block support, which extends its original FTP coverage to management UI, File Station, SSH/Telnet, rsync and mobile devices. Surveillance Station 2 also now supports 50 additional new camera models with an increased flexibility of the layout management.
Highlights of DSM 2.2 Beta Release
1. iSCSI: Designate a portion of your volume space to be an iSCSI target, and expand it later at your preference. Up to 10 iSCSI target on each Disk Station can be assigned.
2. Apple Time Machine® Support: Simply choose a destination folder on Disk Station, Mac OS X users can easily back up their desktop data to their Disk Stations.
3. iPhone Support: Two iPhone applications will be available on Apple App Store. "DS photo" allows users to upload photo stored on their iPhone/iPod Touch to Disk Station easily while instantly sharing it with anyone online. "DS audio" allows users to access music stored on Disk Stations through their iPhone/iPod Touch when Internet access is available.
4. Mobile Photo Station and File Station: Users can use a mobile device running on Windows Mobile 6.0 (Internet Explore Mobile or Opera 9.0 and onward) or iPhone OS 2.2.1 and onward (Safari) to view photos and read supported file formats stored on Disk Station when Internet access is available.
5. DLNA Compliant Media Server: Interoperability between Disk Station and other DLNA home devices is ensured. DMA browsing menu now allows customization. Three default menu styles are provided and three more styles can be customized. Streaming of music, photo and video with Windows Media Player on Vista is also supported.
6. Firewall: The built-in firewall function allows users to decide which service or IP address are allowed to access Disk Station and prevents uninvited connections.
7. SNMP: SNMP protocol support allows users to monitor Disk Station with network management softwares.
8. Auto Block: Auto block function protects Disk Station from hostile attacks. IP address with pre-defined number of failed login attempts will be blocked and cannot access the server until manually removed from the block list by admin. The failed login attempts include connections via management UI, File Station, FTP, SSH, Telnet, rsync and mobile devices including iPhone.
9. Resource Monitor: Resource monitor allows administrator to easily monitor Disk Station's CPU usage, memory usage, network flow and volume usage.
10. SMS Notification: By setting up SMS notification, users will be notified immediately if any critical event occurs on their Disk Stations.
11. Windows ADS Support Enhancements: Disk Station now supports large size domain environment with up to 100,000 domain users and 100,000 domain groups, sub-folder privileges setup for domain user/group with File Station 2, and user home for domain users.
12. Surveillance Station 2 Enhancements: 50 more camera models from 10 renowned brands are newly included in the support list, making the total 189. SMS notification allows administrator to receive an immediate notice upon the occurrence of designated critical events. Live view, event playback and live view layout management are also enhanced.
13. Download Station Enhancements: RSS and RapidShare download are now supported. Users can create multiple eMule download tasks at once and assign the download service location to an external hard drive. An email notification will be sent to admin upon a download task completed.
14. iTunes Server: iTunes Server now supports video playback and music album artwork.
Synology Disk Station Manager 2.2 Beta firmware is available for the following Synology models:
RS409+, RS409RP+, RS409, DS509+, DS409+, DS409, DS209+II, DS209+, DS209, DS209j, DS109+, DS109, DS109j, DS409slim, RS408, RS408-RP, DS508, DS408, DS108j, RS407, CS407, CS407e, DS207+, DS207, DS107+, DS107 and DS107e
The download is available at http://beta.synology.com.
The official release is expected to be available in September 2009 and will be offered as a free upgrade for Disk Station's users.
Beta Reward Program
Synology will award 5 valuable beta users with a DS109j when the beta program ends. Visit http://beta.synology.com for details.
Founded in April of 2000, Synology Inc. develops next-generation Network Attached Storage (NAS) products for the home, small and medium sized business markets. Providing a secure way of storing and sharing digital content, Synology products are feature-rich, easy-to-use, energy-efficient and affordable. All Synology product investments are enhanced with free software upgrades and 24/7 online support.
Headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, Synology has a global presence with regional offices in the US (Redmond, Washington) and the UK (London, England).
Latest News Posts
- Project NanoXia, a German-designed desk with two high-end PCs inside
- TweakTown Deals: Father's Day Gift Guide
- Slightly Mad Studios says that Project Cars 'loves' DirectX 12
- Internet playboy celebrity called out - Dan Bilzerian shares morals
- ASUS set to unveil a new Android tablet line called ZenPad at Computex
- Board damaged by power supply?
- DVD drive seen in Windows 8.1 but not in BIOS
- ID-Cooling SE 214X CPU Cooler Review
- Upgrade M8
- Team Group Vulcan DDR4-3000 16GB Quad-Channel Memory Kit Review
- CoolIT Systems Successfully Deploys Liquid-Cooled Solution to Poznan Supercomputing & Networking Center in Partnership with Huawei and Itprojekt
- Technology Business Research joins executive roundtable addressing the business impact of data analysis
- Silicon Power Is Holding the 2015 Annual Exhibition in June
- Transcend to Showcase Car Video Recorders, Body Camera and Industrial Solutions at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2015
- AccelStor Debuting All-Flash Arrays with 1M+ IOPS at Computex 2015