AMD Introduces Next Generation AMD Athlon II Processor, Adds Dual Core to Record-Setting AMD Phenom II Processor Lineup
- AMD Athlon II processor delivers new native dual-core architecture, efficient 45nm technology and 3 GHz performance at an affordable price -
- AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition processor combines value and unlocked potential for gamers and tuners on a budget -
Sydney, Australia- June 3, 2009 - Bringing its acclaimed 45nm technology to new high-volume processor designs, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced two new dual-core desktop processors. Building on 10 years of AMD Athlon processor innovation, the new 45nm AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor gives mainstream consumers exceptional performance, efficiency and value. For enthusiasts and overclockers, AMD also announces the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition processor, the first ever dual-core AMD Phenom II CPU.* With this latest addition to the AMD Phenom II processor family, users can now experience the power of AMD platform technology, codenamed "Dragon," with dual-, triple- and quad-core configurations.
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor Details
The AMD Athlon II X2 250 performs exceptionally well when combined with AMD chipsets and integrated graphics solutions to create an all-AMD platform. Platforms featuring all-AMD technology can deliver up to twice the graphics performance of those with Intel integrated graphics.¹
Windows® 7 is optimized for multi-core processors like AMD Athlon II processors to give consumers an amazingly fast, simple and engaging PC experience.** For example, Windows 7 is tuned to make the most of the these new processors' power management features, such as AMD PowerNow! 3.0 technology. AMD power management technologies, in combination with Windows 7, can help OEMs and partners to build exceptionally green, cool and quiet PCs.
Based on AMD's acclaimed 45nm process technology, the AMD Athlon II dual-core processor has a TDP of 65W and can slash power consumption by up to 50 percent when doing basic tasks, up to 40 percent when running heavy workloads and up to 50 percent when at idle.²
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Details
AMD Black Edition processors, like the AMD Phenom II X2 550, help users to take control and unleash the maximum potential of Dragon platform technology's unprecedented performance tuning capabilities.* The same massive headroom that set world records in recent months is at users' finger tips, offering impressive performance at a price the competition can't beat.³
Users can also maximize their overclocking experience by utilizing the new features and capabilities of AMD OverDrive 3.0, designed to enable quick and effective tuning of their PC experience for optimal performance.*
With dual-, triple- or quad-core processors, AMD provides platform level solutions at multiple price points, each of which exceeds expectations for virtually any user
Product and Pricing Summary
Model:AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor
RRP for AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition: A$149, NZ$185
RRP for AMD Athlon II X2 250: A$119, NZ$149
Australia and New Zealand Distributors: Avnet, Synnex and Ingram
Press looking for more information on AMD Athlon II X2 250 and AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition, click here.
Click here for more detail on AMD processor pricing.
Compare AMD Phenom II processors.
Find out more about Dragon platform technology and see it in action.
Check out all of AMD's processors and get more information here.
Follow AMD desktop updates on Twitter: @AMDDesktop.
Hear what AMD executives have to say on AMD blogs.
In collaboration with Thermaltake and BMW Group DesignworksUSA, comes an ideal environment for AMD's high-performance CPU and GPU solutions - the Level 10 Limited Edition chassis. Check it out!
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Analysts unsure of GoPro's long-term success, as competition rises
- Avengers: Age of Ultron has second-best movie opening in US
- Windows 10 will arrive for Xbox One after PC, features remain unknown
- Comcast offers fiber to a US city after suing it for making its own
- Eve opens up donations of in-game currency towards Nepal aid
- HIS MusiX Air Wireless Bluetooth IPX7 Water Resistant Speaker Review
- Wake on lan problem
- GB G97x ud5 bk with Kingston Hyperx Predator SHPM2280p2H/240g pcie ssd
- Crucial C300 and M4 dont work together on Asrock Z68 Extreme4en3
- Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming-3 RAM problem with Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP
- CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE ASCENDANCE AVAILABLE NOW ON PLAYSTATION AND PC
- ESL Mortal Kombat X launch event establishes title as a force in fighting game esports
- PLEX for GOOD - Nepal Earthquake Relief
- The 21st DLC for PAYDAY 2, "The Butcher's Western Pack" launched on Steam April 30th
- COUGAR celebrates first year in Gaming Peripherals, announces exciting future