Seagate Restructures To Further Reduce Operating Costs
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. - May 13, 2009 - Seagate Technology (NASDAQ: STX) today announced it has initiated a restructuring plan that includes a reduction of approximately 1,100 employees or 2.5% of the company's global workforce. This reduction is required to support a targeted run rate of product development and marketing and administrative costs of less than $300 million per quarter and to position the company to be cash flow and earnings positive within its fiscal year 2010.
The restructuring plan, which the company expects to be largely complete by the end of July 2009, is expected to result in total pretax restructuring charges of approximately $72 million. These charges will primarily be incurred in the June 2009 quarter and consist mainly of cash based employee termination costs which are expected to be substantially paid in the September 2009 quarter. The annual savings generated from this restructuring action is expected to be approximately $125 million.
Since the beginning of fiscal year 2009, and including today's announcement, the company has reduced its global headcount through attrition and restructuring, resulting in a reduction in the company's labor costs in excess of 25%. In addition, Seagate previously announced the realignment of its organizational structure to increase efficiency, as well as the closures of two recording media facilities and its Pittsburgh research facility, company-wide salary reductions announced in January 2009, and other cost reduction initiatives. Seagate continues to assess options to further reduce manufacturing operating costs.
Seagate is the worldwide leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions. Learn more at http://www.seagate.com
Latest News Posts
- Sony hiring for its 'next generation gaming system', is this the PS5?
- Samsung announces 10nm production for 2016
- The second Oculus Connect conference hits Hollywood on September 23-25
- BlackBerry slashing jobs, continues shift away from smartphones
- Intel will talk about its 10nm production later this year
- GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Bluetooth not working
- Unfriended (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- Asus F550JK freeze
- TITAN X Artifacts issue
- Just wanted to say Hello.
- Razer Introduces the Firefly Gaming Mousepad with Customizable Lighting FX
- MSI First Motherboard Brand to be Windows 10 Certified
- EK Releases New Supremacy EVO X99 LGA2011v3 Water Block
- Tech Source Releases Condor 4000 3U VPX Graphics Card for GPGPU Applications
- Anidees AI6 v2 Chassis Starts Selling