Fujitsu Terminates Business Alliance with TDK
Fujitsu Limited today announced that it has come to an agreement with TDK Corporation ("TDK") to terminate their strategic business alliance in regard to hard disk drive ("HDD") heads, and in conjunction, the companies will dissolve their joint-venture agreement regarding HDD head manufacturer TDK FUJITSU Philippines Corporation ("TFPC"; 66% owned by TDK and 34% owned by Fujitsu).
1. Reason for Terminating the Business Alliance
In October 2004, Fujitsu and TDK signed a business alliance agreement on the HDD head business. In order to build a structure for technological cooperation, the two companies established the joint-venture TFPC in December 2004 to process and assemble HDD heads. Recently, however, Fujitsu decided to exit the HDD head and HDD businesses, and therefore the two companies have agreed to terminate the business alliance and dissolve the joint-venture agreement.
2. Details Regarding Termination of Business Alliance
The TFPC joint-venture agreement will be dissolved, and the company will become a wholly owned subsidiary of TDK.
Overview of the Joint Venture
1) Company name: TDK FUJITSU Philippines Corporation
2) Major lines of business: Manufacture of hard disk drive heads (processing and assembly)
3) Date established: December 1, 2004
4) Registered address: 119 East Science Avenue, Special Export Processing Zone,
Laguna Technopark, Binan, Laguna, Philippines
5) Capitalization: US$65 million
6) Employees: 2,236 (as of March 24, 2009)
3. Overview of Counterparty to Business Alliance Termination
1) Company name: TDK Corporation
2) Registered address: 1-13-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
3) Representative: Takehiro Kamigama
4) Date established: December 1935
5) Capitalization: 32,641 million yen (as of the end of December 2008)
6) End of fiscal year: March
7) Employees: 74,071 (as of the end of December 2008)
8) Major lines of business: Manufacture and sale of electronic materials and components
9) Annual sales: 866,285 million yen (consolidated basis; fiscal year ending March 2008)
10) Relationship with Fujitsu: Apart from relationship described above, there is no capital or personnel relationship
4. Schedule for Termination of Business Alliance
Scheduled for May 11, 2009.
5. Impact on Financial Results
This matter will have an insignificant impact on Fujitsu's financial results.
Latest News Posts
- Destiny 2 trailer shows Cabal invading Last City
- AMD's 12C/24T and 16C/32T CPUs called 'ThreadRipper'
- FMV games are coming back with Late Shift on April 18
- First Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs announced
- AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G announced
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design