Bluetooth Technology Gets Faster With Bluetooth 3.0
From its annual All Hands Meeting in Tokyo this week, the Bluetooth SIG formally adopted Bluetooth Core Specification Version 3.0 + High Speed (HS), or Bluetooth 3.0. This latest iteration of the popular short-range wireless technology fulfills the consumers' need for speed while providing the same wireless Bluetooth experience - faster. Manufacturers of consumer electronics and home entertainment devices can now build their products to send large amounts of video, music and photos between devices wirelessly at speeds consumers expect.
Bluetooth 3.0 gets its speed from the 802.11 radio protocol. The inclusion of the 802.11 Protocol Adaptation Layer (PAL) provides increased throughput of data transfers at the approximate rate of 24 Mbps. In addition, mobile devices including Bluetooth 3.0 + HS will realize increased power savings due to enhanced power control built in.
"Like Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights, this latest version was 'born to go fast,' said Mike's Blog, Ph.D., executive director of the Bluetooth SIG. "Utilizing the 802.11 radio was a natural choice as it provides efficiencies for both our members and consumers - members get more function out of the two radios they are already including in devices, and consumers with Bluetooth 3.0 + HS products will get faster exchange of information without changing how they connect. We are excited to expand the possibilities of the PAN."
This newest version of Bluetooth technology builds on the inherent qualities of the current 2.1 + EDR version, including Simple Secure Pairing and built-in, automatic security. And as with all versions of theBluetooth specification, v3.0 + HS provides developers, manufacturers and consumers with the benefit of backwards compatibility, enabling both the expansion and enhancement of this technology with every new specification release. Once products reach the market, the easiest way for consumers to learn which devices are compatible with other Bluetooth enabled devices is to visit the Bluetooth Gadget Guide.
With the availability of Bluetooth version 3.0 + HS, consumers can expect to move large data files of videos, music and photos between their own devices and the trusted devices of others, without the need for cables and wires. Some applications consumers will experience include:
- Wirelessly bulk synchronize music libraries between PC and music player or phone
- Bulk download photos to a printer or PC
- Send video files from camera or phone to computer or television
The Bluetooth SIG's formal adoption of the specification is only the first step in the product lifecycle. News out today from wireless chip manufacturers and Bluetooth SIG member companies Atheros, Broadcom and CSR shows the second step - getting silicon solutions to device manufacturers - is already underway. End products for consumers are expected to be in the market in 9 to 12 months.
This new specification release includes several major enhancements (learn more here - page requires member login):
- Generic Alternate MAC/PHY (AMP)
- 802.11 Protocol Adaptation Layer (PAL)
- Generic Test Methodology
- Enhanced Power Control
- Unicast Connectionless Data
Latest News Posts
- YouTube now paying top stars to create original video content
- Avalanche Studios releases Just Cause 3 gameplay on PlayStation 4
- Russian hackers reportedly 'accessed' Obama's unclassified email
- Get Customizable Smart Home Lighting for 34% Off
- Sources: Time Warner Cable willing to discuss acquisition by Charter
- Z68 Extreme4 Gen3: USB doesn't work without Windows
- How to mount BZ-U08 ? Fits into a standard ATX Tower?
- asrock mb and haswel,l tdp and voltage different on 2 cpus
- Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Strontium Nitro Plus 64GB OTG Pen Drive for Android Review
- Patriot Develops Type-C USB Flash Drive for New MacBook Users
- Cooler Master Announces CM Storm Swift-RX Mousepad Series
- DisplayLink Demonstrates USB-C Docking Experience That "Just Works"
- Eurocom Launches 13.3-inch M4 Ultraportable
- Cryorig Announces the H5 Ultimate CPU Cooler