AMD Renews Commitment to OpenGL API for Streamlined Application Development
− Support for OpenGL 3.0 and new AMD extensions now available, OpenGL 3.1 support to follow −
SUNNYVALE, Calif. - April 9 , 2009 - AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced its renewed commitment to the OpenGL 3D graphics API by offering OpenGL 3.0 support in ATI FirePro drivers. OpenGL is a leading environment for developing interactive 3D graphics applications. AMD also announced the publication of high value OpenGL extensions backed by a promise of future support for the recently-announced OpenGL 3.1.
OpenGL helps foster innovation and speed application development by incorporating a broad set of rendering, texture mapping, special effects, and other powerful visualization functions. Developers can leverage the power of OpenGL across all popular desktop and workstation platforms, ensuring wide application deployment.
AMD's commitment to OpenGL as an extensible graphics API is exemplified by its release of OpenGL 3.0 drivers, its commitment to supporting OpenGL 3.1, and its innovations with OpenGL extensions such as AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator and AMD_GPU_association. These unique extensions enable improved performance scaling and parallel processing with multiple GPUs and enhanced scene realism through increased geometry detail.
"AMD's implementation of OpenGL 3.0 demonstrates our commitment to delivering continued support for the OpenGL API, which is the API of choice for many CAD, digital content creation and scientific application providers," said Janet Matsuda, senior director, AMD Professional Graphics. "AMD has long been an active participant in OpenGL API standards work. Extensions, such as tessellation, allow developers to take full advantage of powerful ATI FirePro graphics accelerators that provide performance, stability and visionary innovation for graphics professionals. We look forward to future enhancements that will be available in OpenGL 3.1 and beyond."
"As a graphics toolkit provider, Redway3d is committed to offering the best 2D and 3D performance to its customers in addition to product quality and stability that fulfill long life maintenance requirements. AMD's OpenGL extensions such as tessellation help Redway3d support that customer commitment. The OpenGL 3.0 architecture on graphics accelerators such as ATI FirePro creates very promising value potential for the RED engine SDK with zero migration effort," said Lionel Schmitt, CEO for Redway3d.
Supported now with ATI Catalyst version 8.583 graphics drivers for ATI FirePro, at http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html, OpenGL 3.0 marks its own milestone of re-invigoration of this cross-platform 2D and 3D graphics API. OpenGL 3.1 is the newest revision of this industry standard and was announced on March 24, 2009. In upcoming ATI Catalyst software releases AMD plans to continue to expand its support for extensions targeted at future versions of OpenGL, including OpenGL 3.1.
For more information about the new AMD's support for OpenGL, please visit http://ati.amd.com/products/workstation.html. For more information on AMD's OpenGL extensions and the new functionality, please visit hhttp://developer.amd.com/gpu/wgsdk/Pages/default.aspx
To hear more about the optimizations AMD and its ISV partners are making, check out new testimonial video from Redway3d.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Take an Extra 15% Off All VPNs at TweakTown Deals
- Aussie Police crack down on phone use while driving
- Viral vandalism video sees young woman 'completely humiliated'
- LG announces 'Ray' smartphone for 3G markets
- Power two systems with one power supply thanks to Phanteks' splitter
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS