Samsung First to Ship Advanced 16-gigabyte DDR3 Modules
Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology, announced today that it has just made the initial shipment of the world's first and smallest high-density memory modules based on 2-gigabit (Gb), 50 nanometer (nm)-class DDR3.
Samsung is shipping 18 configurations of its high-density, high-performance DDR3-based modules, which are designed for servers. They include a 16-gigabyte (GB) registered inline memory module (RIMM) and an 8 GB RDIMM (registered dual inline memory module). Last September, a 50 nm-class 2 Gb DDR3 was introduced for PC applications.
The 16 GB high density module operates at 1066 Megabits per second (Mbps), which allows 192 GB of total memory density for a 2-socket CPU server system. Samsung also is the first to offer 16 GB RDIMMs operating at 1.35 volts, providing around 20 percent savings in power consumption over 1.5 V DDR3 solutions.
In addition, the 16 GB RDIMM features a dual-die package configuration, which is more efficient in cost and performance over the widely discussed quad-die configuration.
The 2 Gb DDR3 consumes at least 40 percent less power than 1 Gb configurations, supporting strong industry demand for lower power consumption, which is particularly important with server systems, as well as the new generation of notebooks.
According to market research firm IDC, the global DDR3 market is expected to reach 29 percent of the total DRAM market in 2009 and increase to 75 percent in 2011 (estimated in 1 Gb equivalent units). Also, 2 Gb DDR3 devices are forecast to take 3 percent of the total DDR3 market in 2009, with their share growing to 33 percent in 2011.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance