Kingston Technology DataTraveler BlackBox USB Flash drive Receives FIPS 140-2 Certification
256-bit, Hardware-Based AES Encrypted Drive Meets Strict Federal Requirements for Ultimate Data Protection
Sydney Australia- July 17, 2008 -Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the release of its first Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS)*-validated USB Flash drive, the DataTraveler BlackBox, available in 2GB, 4GB and 8GB capacities.
Gaining FIPS 140-2 certification requires a validation process that meets federal requirements set by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)**, and the Communications Security Establishment of the Government of Canada. This is critical because many governmental agencies in the United States and Canada mandate that sensitive "data at rest" (i.e., all information not in the network) must be encrypted with the FIPS 140-2 standard.
"We are very excited that our DataTraveler BlackBox met all federal requirements established by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)," said Vaughan Nankivell, Regional Manager- Australia and New Zealand for Kingston Technology. "This certification, along with other enhanced security features, makes the DT BlackBox an ideal way to store and transport confidential documents with the utmost confidence that the data is secure."
The FIPS Level 2 standard requires the DT BlackBox to run a power-on self test which verifies that the encryption architecture is functioning each time it is plugged into a USB port. Beyond the NIST certification, the DataTraveler BlackBox features 256-bit hardware-based AES encryption via a dedicated processor which automatically encrypts and decrypts data on the fly. The drive automatically locks down after ten consecutive failed password attempts, thus helping to prevent unauthorized access if the drive is lost, stolen or misplaced.
*Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) are publicly announced standards developed by the United States Federal government for use by all non-military government agencies and by government contractors
** The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is a non-regulatory agency of the United States Department of Commerce. The institute's mission is to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve quality of life.
Kingston DataTraveler BlackBox
Part Number Capacity and Features
DTBB/2GB DataTraveler BlackBox 2GB
DTBB/4GB DataTraveler BlackBox 4GB
DTBB/8GB DataTraveler BlackBox 8GB
Kingston DataTraveler HyperX USB Drive Features and Specifications:
Capacities(1): 2GB, 4GB, 8GB
Dimensions: 2.76? x 0.88? x 0.44? (70.0mm x 22.4mm x 11.3mm)
Speed Rating(2): data transfer rates of 30MB/sec. read and 20MB/sec. write
Enhanced(3): for Windows ReadyBoost on Vista-based systems
Compatible Operating Systems: Windows Vista, Windows 2000 (SP4), Windows XP (SP1 and SP2), Mac OS (10.2x and higher), Linux (2.6 and higher)
Operating Temperature: 32º F to 140 º F (0 º C to 60 º C)
Storage Temperature: -4º F to 185º F (-20º C - 85º C)
Easy: plug and play
Guaranteed: five-year warranty
(1) Some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage. For more information please consult the Kingston Flash memory guide at: http://www.kingston.com/flash_memory_guide
(2) Speed may vary due to host hardware, software and usage.
(3) USB 2.0 required for ReadyBoost.
Manufacturer: Kingston Technology
Product Name: DataTraveler BlackBox
RRP for 2GB: AU$189.00, NZ$245.00
RRP for 4GB: AU$279.00, NZ$359.00
RRP for 8GB: AU$489.00, NZ$635.00
Warranty: 5 Yrs
To view Kingston's FIPS 140-2 Validation Certificate No. 929, please visit:
Detailed information about FIPS security levels and procedures can be found at:
About Kingston Technology Company, Inc.
Kingston Technology Company, Inc. is the world's largest independent manufacturer of memory products. Kingston designs, manufactures and distributes memory products for desktops, laptops, servers, printers, and Flash memory products for PDAs, mobile phones, digital cameras, and MP3 players. Through its global network of subsidiaries and affiliates, Kingston has manufacturing facilities in California, Taiwan, China, Malaysia and sales representatives in the United States, Taiwan, China, India, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Russia, Turkey, and Latin America. For more information, please visit http://www.kingston.com/anz
Kingston and the Kingston logo are registered trademarks of Kingston Technology Corporation. All rights reserved. All other marks may be the property of their respective titleholders.
Latest News Posts
- Last day for Windows 10 free upgrade is today
- Radeon 16.7.3 drivers improve Rise of the Tomb Raider performance
- Pay what you want for 180+ hours of game dev training
- New Prey game isn't a sequel or a reboot, it's a re-imagining
- PlayStation VR requires almost as much space as HTC Vive
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Linksys EA9500 MAX-STREAM AC5400 Wireless Router Review
- GA-X58A-UD7 Error Code 88 (or 8b something)
- Asus Stix X99
- Latest APP Center Gigabyte programs
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio