Samsung Electronics Australia has today announced the local launch for the new Gear VR device, extending its virtual reality range. The latest edition of the Gear VR is compatible with four different Samsung smartphones, including the Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 edge+, S6 and S6 edge, utilising each device's super AMOLED display to provide the colour, clarity and performance needed for an amazing virtual reality experience.
"Samsung is firmly committed to driving forward innovation in our wearable offering and we see the Gear VR as a way to open the door of immersive virtual reality for Australians who demand the best mobile experiences," said Prasad Gokhale, Vice President – IT & Mobile – Samsung Electronics Australia. "We're very excited to launch this Gear VR model in Australia which will enable Australians consumers to experience incredible content on their compatible Samsung smartphones."
The Samsung Gear VR is considerably lighter than the previous Gear VR Innovator Edition (without Galaxy smartphone), and includes new foam cushioning to make the device comfortable to wear. In addition, the Gear VR's touchpad, provides great control while enjoying the wide selection of film, games, 360 degree video and experiential content available for Gear VR*.
In addition to content available to purchase from Oculus, consumers will also be able to enjoy Samsung Internet for Gear VR beta*, an app that allows users to browse the web in an immersive 360-degree experience, as well as watch 360 degree videos available through websites like YouTube*. The Samsung Internet for Gear VR beta app lets consumers enjoy and access compatible content online.* It supports both 360-degree and 3D video streaming, as well as compatible HTML5 video from the web.
Pricing and Availability
The Samsung Gear VR is available now in Frost White for RRP $159.00 from the Samsung experience store and e-Store, with an expected wider on-sale in 2016.
Samsung Internet for Gear VR beta version will be available for download in the Oculus Store beginning December 2. Supported Samsung devices include: Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+, and Galaxy Note5 with Gear VR.
Samsung Gear VR Product Specifications^
* Movies, games, apps and other virtual content may need to be downloaded and purchased from the Oculus Store. Internet connection required. Data, subscription and other charges may apply. Usage may be subject to third party service provider agreements.
^All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft drop Shocktober sale a week before Halloween
- Nintendo Switch to have wide array of hardware add-ons
- Heavy Rain and Detroit developer experimenting with VR
- LG's new 5K display designed for latest MacBook Pro
- 3DS won't be cannibalized by Switch, says Nintendo
- ASRock C2550D4I Won't boot... again
- Getting a DK-04 3D Model
- Lenovo Ideapad Y900-17ISK Gaming Notebook Review
- How to upgrade front I/O Panel for V2100 to USB 3.0 or even 3.1
- AMD announces Radeon Pro 400 Series graphics processors
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications