Seagate Technology plc. today introduced ClusterStor A200, a first-of-its-kind tiered archive storage system for high performance computing (HPC). The A200 helps reduce storage and operational costs by up to 50 percent compared to tier-one storage platforms.
The A200 was designed to complement the rest of Seagate's ClusterStor family of scale-out storage systems. It allows customers to non-disruptively migrate designated data off of the performance-optimized, primary storage tiers while keeping it online for fast retrieval. This avoids a common problem in shared HPC environments where the organization is forced to choose between having all of the data available to make the best analysis versus the time required to retrieve data from tape. Performance of the primary storage is often improved by migrating data and freeing up space for more efficient data layout. The pre-configured ClusterStor A200 solution includes an automatic policy-driven hierarchical storage management (HSM) system and near limitless scale-out capacity.
"The A200 is designed to be the perfect complement to our high performance ClusterStor Lustre and IBM Spectrum Scale engineered systems," said Ken Claffey, vice president and general manager, Seagate HPC systems business. "It balances performance while also delivering a system that is optimized for the lowest capex and opex for active archive applications. Many critical HPC systems need to go back and analyze valuable data that's already been archived, but our customers want these large archives to be online with massive data sets available instantly. ClusterStor A200 is a purpose-built solution to help enable storage tiering and end-to-end workflow in HPC environments."
The ClusterStor A200 was engineered to meet customers' most demanding HPC needs in fields such as weather, life sciences, oil and gas, financial services, pharmaceuticals, and geospatial intelligence.
The A200 consists of up to seven scalable storage units per rack with additional storage units and racks easily added to the storage pool, and a highly available ClusterStor management unit. The A200 system also includes a comprehensive management system with a single, easy-to-use administrator interface. The A200 system implements the 3rd generation ClusterStor erasure coding to provide unparalleled data and disaster protection with up to 11 nines of durability. This new and enhanced erasure code is network-based allowing it to use the resources of the entire system to achieve extremely fast rebuilds of failed drives, improving availability while maximizing the amount of useable storage delivered to the customer's applications. To further enhance the durability of data in the A200 system, the ClusterStor erasure code uses a unique mechanism to prioritize the most critical data elements to rebuild, substantially improving the time required to return the system to maximum data protection.
The ClusterStor family architecture is built on Seagate's field-proven enterprise-class storage platforms and high performance parallel file systems such as Lustre and IBM Spectrum Scale. Combining superior performance with ultra-efficient scalability, the ClusterStor family includes ClusterStor A200, ClusterStor L300, ClusterStor G200, ClusterStor 9000, ClusterStor 1500, ClusterStor Secure Data Appliance and Hadoop Workflow Accelerator for ClusterStor's architecture.
Seagate ClusterStor A200 will be available in calendar Q1 2016. Learn more at Seagate's booth 568 at the Supercomputing 2015 show November 16-19 in Austin, TX.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Pokémon GO launches surprise Xmas updates this month
- Interview with Dov Moran, inventor of the USB stick
- Xbox One defeats PS4 in online Black Friday sales
- Mass Effect: Andromeda to support 21:9 UltraWide on PC
- New Lego Worlds game release scheduled for February 2017
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand