TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
With MSI enjoying the fruits of its labor with the just-released MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning, we should all turn our attention to ASUS which just teased that they've got their ROG MATRIX GeForce GTX 980 Ti and ROG MATRIX Radeon R9 Fury on their way.
The company will reportedly unveil the two new enthusiast video cards during IFA 2015 on September 2. The new ROG MATRIX cards look like they'll feature the same cooler shroud as previous cards, but the color theme has changed a little - and we think it looks great. It looks like both ROG MATRIX cards could be dual-slot cards, boasting improved PCBs, much higher clock speeds, and much more.
We should definitely expect a new ROG MATRIX card based on the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, but it shouldn't be too far out of our expectations to see a new ROG MATRIX card based around the AMD Radeon R9 Fury as well as the Radeon R9 390X. We will be reporting on any new video card launches from ASUS as they happen.
Described as providing a super-powerful package in a small form factor design, the AMD Radeon R9 NANO video card has been a long-awaited addition to the new R7 and R9 Radeon families. In a bid to be ahead of the curve, CybertronPC has been one of the first companies to announce full support for this new beast, including it in pre-built systems for you to buy.
Bragging double the performance density and performance per watt of previous editions, this Fiji-based chip comes complete with High Bandwidth Memory and a 4096-Bit memory interface, seeing the output rise of 60% when compared to GDDR5.
Designed with 4k gaming and Virtual Reality in mind, CybertronPC further offer a free lifetime technical support and lifetime warranty on its systems, including a one year warranty on parts and lifetime on labor.
The /r/pcmasterrace subreddit is an interesting place, where over 12,000 gamers responded to the PCMR survey in July and August with some interesting results.
First, 67.7% of respondents said they use an NVIDIA GeForce video card, while 28.9% use an AMD Radeon video card of some sort, leaving 3.4% saying they use the integrated GPU on their Intel CPU. Speaking of CPUs, 80% of PCMR use an Intel CPU while 20% use an AMD chip. Full HD is the resolution of choice with PCMR respondents, with 66% using 1080p. Just 6% of PCMR uses 1440p, while 1.9% use a 4K monitor.
Multi-monitor setups are gaining traction with 43.2% using two monitors, 9.8% using a triple-monitor setup but 45.4% are still using a single monitor. Interestingly, 15.8% of PCMR uses a 144Hz monitor of some sort, which is the second largest outside of the huge 69.3% that use a 60Hz panel. 51.3% have 8GB of RAM in their system, while 33.7% reported using 16GB - as for DDR3, it's used by 87.8%, while just 9% are using DDR4.
It looks like we're just weeks away from the official release of AMD's Radeon R9 Nano, with DGLee from IYD.kr posting up some of the best shots of the Radeon R9 Nano yet.
Thanks to the tear down on the card, we get a better look at the small PCB that the Radeon R9 Nano features, with its single 8-pin PCIe power connector powering the card. We have a full Fiji GPU inside, the same chip that powers the R9 Fury and R9 Fury X. The entire card measures in at just 15cm, sitting just over the PCIe connector itself.
As for the price, we are expecting it to fall under $499. AMD's Radeon R9 Nano has a TDP of 175W, and should offer performance similar to that of the Radeon R9 290X (so around 5-10% less than the rebadged R9 390X and less than the R9 Fury and R9 Fury X, obviously. But for its size, this is one of the more exciting cards in AMD's Fiji-powered line up.
One of the more surprising video cards in AMD's new Fiji-powered lineup was the super-small Radeon R9 Nano, which is only as long as the PCI Express x16 port that it gets installed into.
The Radeon R9 Nano uses the same Fiji GPU that the R9 Fury and R9 Fury X are based on, with 4GB of HBM on-board. AMD is teasing that the R9 Nano has 2x the performance-per-watt compared to the Hawaii-based R9 290X, which is quite the claim. Especially when you consider that the R9 Nano will be using just 175W of power.
As for the performance compared to the Radeon R9 Fury X, it will reportedly have up to 85-90% of the performance that the Fury X does, leaving it toe-and-toe with the R9 Fury. If this is true, the R9 Nano will become AMD's most exciting video card released out of all of the Fury and 300 series cards.
Adding to the myriad of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 releases is Palit with its StormX series of video cards, brandishing two sleek and sexy designs.
This small series is lead by the overclocked StormX Dual card, complete with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and a clock boosted to 1241MHz, 53MHz higher than 'stock'. This blue rendition sits alongside the all-black StormX base model card, sitting on a stock clock.
The StormX Dual further features "dual Turbofan Blade coolers" as the name and a recently issued press release points out. Palit has further added solid capacitors, ferrite core chokes and improved the PWM design - enabling 0dB cooling when operating under 60C.
We've been hearing about AMD's next generation GPUs for a while now, but it looks like they're beginning to take more form. It's being reported that AMD's upcoming 'Greenland' GPU will be an entirely new microarchitecture, with development on Greenland starting some two years ago.
But more interestingly, rumor has it that it's not just going to be yet another Graphics Core Next architecture (GCN), but it'll feature a new ISA (instruction set architecture) that will be so different to GCN, that it will be very exciting. On the surface, it'll be like previous generation Radeon products, with so much more happening underneath.
Greenland will reportedly usher in twice the power efficiency of GCN, where we can expect these GPUs to be made on the 16nm FinFET or 14nm process, with a serious jump on the number of stream processors when compared to the Fiji architecture. Fiji is the GPU behind the Radeon R9 Fury and R9 Fury X cards, powered by High Bandwidth Memory, or HBM. More importantly, it's being reported that Greenland will pack HBM2, with enthusiast level and professional cards packing up to 32GB of HBM2. The consumer orientated Greenland-powered Radeon cards will come in two flavors: 8GB and 16GB, both of the next-gen HBM2 technology.
The new Greenland products will pack an insane 15-18 billion transistors, which is in the ballpark of the next-gen GeForce card from NVIDIA which is said to cram 17 billion transistors into the new enthusiast Pascal-based GeForce.
Today NVIDIA unleashed the GeForce GTX 950 card aimed at gamers who want to play PC games at 60fps 1080p without breaking their wallets.
The Maxwell-based GTX 950 has an entry-level price point of $159 and packs in 768 CUDA cores clocked in at 1021 MHz that can be boosted to 1188 MHz, and sports 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM operating on a 128-bit bus clocked at 6.6GHz. Power will be supplied via 6-pin connector, and the card will draw 90 Watts of power.
Standard NVIDIA performance tech is compatible with the GTX 950 including SLI, V-Sync adaptive sync, and PhysX. This budget model will fully support the new DirectX 12 API and will be able to play DX12 games when they become available.
The last time we had GPU market share numbers, NVIDIA was dominating AMD with 76% of the discrete GPU market, leaving AMD with scraps. This was back in Q4 2014 (with our article released in February 2015), where NVIDIA's best video card was the GeForce GTX 980.
This was before the release of the Titan X in March, and before the GTX 980 Ti in June. At the time, AMD had its Hawaii architecture inside of the R9 290X, and the dual-GPU in the form of the R9 295X2. At the time, all signs pointed to the R9 390X turning things around, but the R9 390X ended up being yet another rebrand, while the R9 Fury X was discovered with our world exclusive during Computex 2015 in June, powered by High Bandwidth Memory.
Fast forward to now, where we're in Q3 2015, and AMD has multiple new products on the market: the R9 Fury X, R9 Fury, R9 390X and a bunch of rebranded 300 series video cards. According to Mercury Research's latest data, NVIDIA has jumped from 76% of the discrete GPU market in Q4 2014 to 82% in Q2 2015. This leaves AMD with just 18% of the dGPU market share, even after the release of multiple new products from Team Red.
Last week, Tom's Hardware teamed up with Newegg, NVIDIA, AMD, Digital Storm and a few other companies for a massive side-by-side blind test of NVIDIA's G-Sync technology versus AMD's FreeSync technology.
The setup involved using both IPS- and TN-based panels in the form of the Acer XB270HU (G-Sync) vs. the ASUS MG279Q (FreeSync) which are both based on IPS panels with a native resolution of 2560x1440. The other two displays are the ASUS PG278Q (S-Sync) vs. the BenQ XL2730Z (FreeSync) which are TN-based panels. Hardware wise, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 and AMD Radeon R9 390X were used inside of some well-specced Digital Storm gaming PCs.
The overall test had NVIDIA winning by a huge margin, with 60% of the participants choosing G-Sync based on this experiment. The remaining 40% was split into 21% choosing FreeSync, while 19% thought both were of equal quality. When it came to one of my favorite games to play to show people G-Sync's benefits, Battlefield 4, G-Sync scooped it up with 8 out the 12 users saying that G-Sync was best on Battlefield 4. FreeSync had just three people choosing FreeSync over G-Sync, while one thought it was of equal quality.