TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
In an effort to bring more features to our website, we have today launched the TweakTown Photo Gallery. This is a new section where you are able to post pictures and let the rest of the community see them, FREE OF CHARGE. Each user has currently been allowed 5mb of web space, this may decrease or increase depending on the popularity of the gallery. Best of all, you need not register a new username and password - just use your current TweakTown forum details as they are interlinked.
Visit the TweakTown Photo Gallery now and share your photos with the entire community!
We are after one or two new tweak guide writers, focusing on Windows XP and all the latest PC games to hit the stores!
If you consider yourself experienced in the area of getting the most performance out of Windows and games, can write and have spare time for an article or two per week, this paying position might be for you.
If you are interested and want to know more, please contact me at email@example.com with any samples of your work, if possible. Remember to tell your friends if you think they would be interested!
This is just a quick reminder about our range of TweakTown Merchandise which we have available through Cafepress.com. Go check it out!
More information @ TweakTown Merchandise
For the best part of 3 years I have enjoyed every minute of running TweakTown and turning it into the successful PC website it is today as the early hours of April 1st bares its face down under. Sure, there has been a multitude of late nights finishing up various bits and pieces, headache and stress, and all the stuff that goes with operating your own business - still the years have been quite rewarding and very fulfilling. With all things in life, everything must come to an end, which brings me to the point of this news post.
Following my life long passion of being a professional cocktail mixer, I have recently taken up a position at one of our local bars, as a full time bar man - which fortunately pays quite well. With this work and the study for cocktail production class I have very little time for anything else. As an immediate result and after discussion with the team here at TweakTown, I have decided to sell TweakTown to James Rolfe over at Overclockers Australia who has long showed interest in TweakTown. It the near future all of our content will be moved over to Overclockers Australia, and TweakTown's future will be up to James.
It has been a pleasure serving all you since our humble beginnings in September of 2000, thanks to all of our lovely sponsors and advertisers, and finally all of you - our readers - who helped make TweakTown what it is today.
All the best, see you around again sometime at a website near you...
One of our advertising agency buddies is trying to force us to implement pop-under style advertising to our website which we have refused to date.
This type of advertising we are talking about is a new window appearing in your task bar which will not pop-up to you physically click on it - one pop-under ad, per person, every 24 hours. The advantage of running these ads is they tend to pay a fair amount, which helps us continue operating TweakTown the way we do. The negative side, of course, is being swamped by new windows, which let us face it; we do not want invading our desktop space.
So, we've decided to put it to you, our valuable readers, to make the decision for us. Once votes are in, this is the way it will be: democracy rules.
I should have done this a long time ago, but I pulled the finger out a couple days ago and actually did it. You can now access TweakTown through the following domain names:
Right now they just refresh back to http://www.tweaktown.com - We may mirror them properly at a later stage but it isn't necessary right now.
This one goes under the "what the ??? were they drinking? when they did this?" category. They dropped the price of their truly AWESOME 20.1" LCD from $1699 to $1599 to $1399, and now to $999. Plus, now they have 20% off dell branded peripherals, reducing that price to $799.20. They have free shipping. And today's the last day they have a 5% discount too!
I've had this LCD for over a year now, and absolutely love it. Leon has one too. I get so much more work done at 1600x1200 resolution, and can stare into this beautiful monitor for hours on end without eye strain thanks to the LCD technology. It has VGA inputs as well as DVI (definitely something to look for) plus s-video and composite inputs, so you can plug a VCR in and use it as a TV as well. It's very bright at 240 nits, has 350:1 contrast, and a fast 25ms TOTAL average response time for quality gaming. This is what you do:
- Start here at Dell Small Business Software & Peripherals. DELLSB
- To get the 2000fp, search for: 320-4105
- Use coupon code: 72CAD81454CE for 5% off any purchase. Expires 12/11/02
- Finish checking out. If you don't have a business name, you can use your own name.
More information @ TweakTown Deals
Our DNS server crashed and burned over the past 24 hours or so for reasons unknown to us. Everything appears to be back to usual now. If you tried sending us email over this time, please re-send as our server could not receive any during this period.
We've finally got our very own edition of SiSoft's Sandra 2003 benchmarking program uploaded to our servers ready for you folks to download.
The new Sandra has been released. Here is a detailed breakdown:Download from Our Server (about 5mb)
- Gauge overall system performance in a flash with the combined performance index wizard and compare and contrast upgrading options.
- Supports the latest technologies (AGP 3, Hyper-Threading), chipsets (Intel 750X, 845GL/GV/GE/PE; SiS 648, 655, 746; VIA KT400, P4X400), controllers (SiS 963; VIA 8233A/C, 8235/L), Clock generator ICs and other devices on the market.
- Detailed context sensitive help for Tips/Warnings/Errors. Detailed technical definitions.
- Extensive reference results: over 50 different reference results from legacy to cutting edge systems. Can save your own and combine with the reference results.
- Burn-in wizard: improved monitoring options, can see in real-time the changes in system state as burn-in progresses. Can program terminate conditions in case of out-of-range states.
- Cooling system information: Can estimate thermal resistance to determine the performance of the cooling system, thus ensuring proper cooling for the processor(s).
- Multi-platform: Both ANSI (for legacy systems) and Unicode (native for Windows NT4/2000/XP/.Net) versions included in a single improved installer.
- Improved graphing options: users can compare the results in log, or inverse mode as well as standard linear mode.
Our friends and long-time website sponsor CoolerGuys have setup a special page on their website where you will find a range PC Toys "Power Maxx" power supplies for sale, at heavily discounted prices, for TweakTown Members only.
Prices have been slashed by up to $30 per product. Deals are good up until Friday; make sure you click the link below for further information.
More information @ CoolerGuys - TweakTown Special