TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
After selling 5 million Xbox One consoles to other countries, Microsoft is set to launch its next generation console in Japan on September 4. The company announced its plans today, revealing that it will have more than 40 games for gamers to choose from when it launches in Japan later this year.
There's no pricing just yet, but 48 game developers in the region have expressed interest in developing content for the Xbox One, which will only continue to add to the growing list of games on the Xbox One. Xbox One titles that will be made available in Japan include: Ryse: Son of Rome Ryse, Forza Motorsport 5, Kinect Sports Rivals, Sunset Overdrive, "Halo on Xbox One" and Dead Rising 3.
Better yet, Microsoft Studios' Phil Spencer has teased that there will be some special announcements that will happen alongside the launch of the Xbox One in Japan, and that a well-known Japanese developer is working on an exclusive game for the Xbox One. Spencer also said that the company will make announcements featuring "something never before seen" at the 2014 Tokyo Game Show which takes place between September 18-21.
Sony has shipped over seven million PS4's to retailers and consumers, but today Microsoft has announced it has sold over five million Xbox One consoles around the world. This means that Sony is in the lead by two million consoles.
Considering both consoles have had some great exclusives, with Titanfall on the Xbox One and inFamous: Second Son on the PS4. There should be a bump in numbers when we see the sales of the Titanfall bundles with the Xbox One, but it is early in the next-gen console war. It should be an interesting picture after E3, and the holiday season at the end of the year.
Sony and Nissan have announced that they have teamed up again to bring another season of the Nissan PlayStation GT Academy to gamers around the world. The 2014 season will be the sixth and for the first time Canada will get to participate.
Qualifying will begin online using Gran Turismo 6 and the PS3 on April 21. Participants will compete in virtual races to see who gets the chance to move forward into the real-world competition to see if they can put virtual racing skills to work on a real race track.
Today, Sony announced that its PlayStation 4 console has surpassed 7 million consoles sold globally. Sony says that those numbers are actual consoles sold to consumers, and not just channel inventory. This news means that Sony has sold more than 2 million consoles since February when it announced it had sold 5 million units.
Additionally, Sony announced that PlayStation 4 games had surpassed more than 20.5 million copies sold which is a major milestone for the electronics giant. Unfortunately Microsoft has not released any sales numbers yet, but if recent rumors are correct, Microsoft is lagging quite behind Sony in sales.
The first grumblings of The Last of Us coming to the PS4 started late last month. In late March, a Sony manger tipped that the game would be landing this summer for PS4 gamers. He didn't offer a more specific launch window.
We have some new details on the launch of The Last of Us Remastered for the PS4 and these details have come from several major game retailers. Target, Best Buy, and GameFly all list the launch date of The Last of Us Remastered for the PS4 as June 20.
I don't venture into the game store in the local mall that often, but every time I do, at least one kid comes in wanting to know if they can buy a copy of Minecraft. They always get the same snooty answer from the guys working at the store, "It's download only kid."
That will soon change according to a repot that the first retail disc version of Minecraft is coming soon. The disc version will be for the PS3 according to reports and will be on a Blu-ray disc like other PS3 games.
Typically, if something goes wrong with your game console, you will need to send it in to get repaired. That's not necessarily the case in Japan for PS4 owners with a new service that lets people pick up basic spare parts for their console.
The spare parts purchase program is directly from Sony and is aimed at local gamers. You can't necessarily pick up any part of the console you might need, but easy to install basic parts are on the list. For instance, you can get a spare HDD cover for around $10.
Microsoft is pushing another update out for the Xbox One, which includes quite a few new features and improvements. We have the ability of a silent reboot after system updates are installed, and a system update on-demand is now available. That's just scratching the surface, though:
- Game and app saves and updates. A game save progress bar will show you the status of your game saves. You will also be able to easily tell what games and apps are being updated or have been updated recently.
- Friends improvements. Notifications will be added to see when favorites and friends sign in to Xbox Live. This was one of the most frequently requested features, so we made it a priority to include it in this update. Also, friends who are in multiplayer will be identified in the friends list.
- Kinect voice and motion improvements will continue to be fine-tuned for quality and reliability of Xbox One commands. For example, we've updated some of the gesture functionality to reduce false positives on non-hand objects triggering gesture commands.
- Improved GameDVR video quality through compression algorithm improvements.
- Blu-ray player supports 50 Hz video output for content recorded at 50 Hz. We'll also be updating the Blu-ray Player app in the coming days to round out these improvements.
- Controller and headset adaptor firmware updates will reduce audio static and improve wireless connectivity.
- Silent reboot after system updates and system update on demand now available. If your console is in Instant On mode, the update will happen automatically and return to standby upon completion. This means you won't need to power on your console after an update moving forward. If you want to take future updates when available without waiting for your console to do it on its own, we've added this option under system settings and you'll be able to use it next update. It will only show as available when there is an update to take.
The Xbox One Titanfall Bundle just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper in the UK. Thanks to an ongoing price war between Sony's PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's Xbox One, the Xbox One Titanfall bundle has just gotten cheaper by 50 pounds at both Amazon and Asda. The price drop was first noticed by Engadget, and it appears that the price-drop may be permanent.
The Xbox One Titanfall pack comes with a Titanfall edition Xbox One, The Titanfall game, and a Titanfall-themed controller. The 50-pound price drop brings the once 429-pound Xbox One down to just 349-pounds. Microsoft is continuing to lower prices on the console in an attempt to play catch-up with Sony's PS4 which is still continuing to lead the way in units sold since launch.
PS3 gamers have been able to play the MMO game Final Fantasy XIV for a long while now. When the PS4 console launched, many of those gamers upgraded and wondered when they could play Final Fantasy on the next-gen Sony console. The PS4 open beta for Final Fantasy XIV kicked off about a week ago.
We already knew that gamers would be able to transfer their game content from the PS3 to the PS4. What we didn't know was when gamers could start that migration. Square Enix has announced that PS3 to PS4 migration for Final Fantasy XIV is underway now.