TweakTown NewsRefine News by Category:
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata says his company plans to release five mobile games by March 2017, as Nintendo tries to expand its business operations.
There is no word what characters will be featured, or which titles gamers can expect, but Nintendo promised it wouldn't simply port content for smartphones and tablets.
"You may think it is a small number... but when we aim to make each title a hit, and because we want to thoroughly operate every one of them for a significant amount of time after their releases, this is not a small number at all - and should demonstrate our serious commitment to the smart device business," Iwata said during a meeting with investors.
With Project CARS finally out, gamers across the world are beginning to feel the pain of owning an AMD Radeon video card. Some have started spreading rumors that developer Slightly Mad Studios were paid by NVIDIA to deliberately gimp the performance of AMD hardware, but this rumor is of course, very wrong.
Slightly Mad Studios boss Ian Bell has come out and talked about the performance of AMD owners in Project CARS, where he said: "We've provided AMD with 20 keys for game testing as they work on the driver side. But you only have to look at the lesser hardware in the consoles to see how optimized we are on AMD based chips".
"We're reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We've provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year". He continued: "Categorically, NVIDIA have not paid us a penny. They have though been very forthcoming with support and co-marketing work at their instigation. We've had emails back and forth with them yesterday also. I reiterate that this is mainly a driver issue but we'll obviously do anything we can from our side".
The last 18-24 months have been quite hazy for Ubisoft, which had massive issues with gamers over Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed: Unity (just to name two) but here we are: days away from the official unveiling of a new Assassin's Creed game.
Assassin's Creed: Victory will reportedly be unveiled on May 12, with the teaser available to watch above. The teaser does a good job of displaying a nice looking glove and hidden blades, with a knuckle duster being worn by the assassin. There is a big message at the end, which displays "Oppression Has To End".
Under that, we see that the "New Assassin's Creed World Premiere Reveal" will take place on May 12, 2015 at 6PM CET. We have heard about Victory previously, late last year, which should have the game taking place during Victorian London.
It wasn't too long ago that we were reporting that World of Warcraft made over $1 billion in revenue over 2013, but in the last three months, Blizzard has bled out some 3 million subscribers from the game.
For the quarter ending March 31, Blizzard had 7.1 million subscribers to World of Warcraft, a number that is down just under 3 million from its 10 million strong subscriber base at the end of last year. Activision Blizzard does note that while subscriber numbers are dwindling, World of Warcraft is still the number one subscription-based MMO in the world.
Access Games and Microsoft Studios will release D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die for the PC on June 5, after overwhelming calls for the game to be ported. The game, originally released for the Xbox One last September, will be available for just $15.
Gamers play as a young private investigator, tasked with investigating his wife's murder - where he can travel through time to try to prevent the murder from taking place.
"There were a lot of people who played the PC version at PAX and said, 'Please bring D4 out on the PC," said Hidetaka Suehiro, video game director at Access Games, in a statement published by Polygon. "From the very first day, the people who played it seemed to really enjoy it. I think seeing that is what brought me to my decision. I have no choice but to make a PC version now!"
Microsoft has announced more than 20 million copies of Minecraft sold for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One game consoles. It's the three-year anniversary of Minecraft: 360 Edition's public release, and Mojang wants to help gamers celebrate: by giving away free colorful skins.
Gamers can download the 1st Birthday Skin Pack, 2nd Birthday Skin Pack, and 3rd Birthday Skin Pack, with the most recent edition including skins created inspired by Mojang employees. This is the first time the earlier skin packs can be downloaded and used by Xbox One gamers.
Happy Birthday Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition!May 7, 2015
Universal Parks & Resorts teamed up with Nintendo to bring popular characters, games and Nintendo worlds to its Universal theme parks. This is a good move by Nintendo as the Japanese electronics company can generate additional revenue by licensing out brands such as Legend of Zelda, Mario, and others for Universal theme parks in California, Florida, Japan and Singapore.
Additional details about the agreement will be released by both companies in the future.
"Nintendo has created remarkable and imaginative worlds filled with captivating stories and beloved characters," according to a press release from both companies. "Now, for the first time, those stories and characters will be brought to life in entirely new ways - only at Universal theme parks."
Electronic Arts is "very happy" with sales of Battlefield Hardline, and 80 percent of game sales have been for the Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One game consoles.
The news came courtesy of EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen, noting that four out of five copies of the game went to the latest generation of consoles from Sony and Microsoft. Jorgensen also said the transition to the Xbox One and PS4 is much faster than past console generations:
"So we will see a slow movement away from Gen-3 [Xbox 360 and PS3]... as a reminder, we've been making Gen-2 console games up until the last year or so," Jorgensen said. "For some of our bigger franchises like our sports franchises, we'll continue to make Gen-3. But we're making some decisions on new franchises and titles to focus on Gen-4, partially because the power of the platform allows for exceptional gameplay and incredible graphics."
We've covered quite a lot here at TweakTown about the various match-fixing and betting ring scandals to hit the international CS:GO scene, with the first and most prominent scandal being that of some North American and Canadian pros being banned by Valve themselves for life due to their actions - we even wrapped up the international wrong-doings here in a mega-thread for you.
One of the highest profile players involved was Braxton 'swag' Pierce, a young teenage professional with many years of fragging to come ahead. Heartbroken by the ban, he announced on his public Facebook page that the ban was necessary to set a precedent and he regrets all actions.
In recent news, Swag has been kept around the gaming scene with professional North American organization 'Cloud9' announcing that it has offered him a position as their CS:GO team analyst. Yep, 'Swag analyst'.
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick appreciates the ongoing shift from physical game sales to digital sales, which has racked up $3 out of every $4 the publisher generates from sales. It's a shift that caught many game developers off guard, but Activision raised its full-year profit and revenue based on strong growth in digital business.
Call of Duty and Destiny helped Activision Blizzard's digital business increase 53.3 percent year-over-year in Q1, according to the company.
"The transition to digital continues to drive our business," Kotick said during a financial call. The digital business is more lucrative to game publishers, and allows gamers to immediately purchase games - without added clutter in their gaming space.